Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While our preps were already at a good level and we don't ever prep for just one or two things, we did take a good look at our preps for this winter storm.

The NWS is predicting over 14 to 18 inches of snow over up to 2 inches of frozen sleet on top of 1/2 to 1 inch of freezing rain that should start this mess.

Our state has all its countys already declared a disaster ares and the precip hasn't even began quite yet. We're already under Winter Storm Warnings and Blizzard Warnings (only the 3rd time ever for Blizzard Warnings here) and they are already announcing what shelters that are opening, mainly for stranded motorists.

As a Licensed Ham, I'll be setting the radios up to listen to the radio traffic. If our local ARES/RACES group is activated, which is possible, I can go out, but I'm not planning to do so. Why risk the 4WD just to "prove" it can drive in the snow. Just because it might go a little better than other vehicles, even 4WD doesn't really stop well on ice and snow, but any tree will usually stop you if need be! ;^)

I took the generators out this weekend and fired them both up. I let them each run for over 30 minutes, shut them down and fired them back up after 10 minutes to make sure that they are both ready in case the expected power outages do occur. We've got over 60 gallons of fresh gasoline stored and ready to use if/when needed.

I've got 2 Indoor Rated Propane Heaters (Big Buddy and Mr Buddy Heaters) as well as 3 or 4 of the Coleman Black Cat heaters. They will heat our home well enough that we wouldn't need to wear sweatshirts or coats, even without any power. We've got 36 of the 1 pound propane tanks and 7 of the large 30 pound (I think) re-fillable propane tanks that were filled to capacity instead of exchanged for the tanks that are maybe 1/2 full at best.

Our stove in the kitchen is gas, so we should be fine with that, but we also have some nice CampChef Propane Stoves (one has 3 30,000 btu burners and the other has 2 30,000 btu burners) as well as 2 Coleman Propane Camp Stoves.

We've got perhaps 250 gallons of stored water in 55 gallon barrels and 7 gallon water jugs stored in the garage where they shouldn't freeze. If we do lose power, on of the propane heaters will be placed in the garage to keep the stored water from freezing.

Food is not a problem. We have several months worth of food stored right now, but we did go ahead and buy some extra loves of wheat bread, sandwich meats and cheese to allow us some easy to fix "comfort food" if needed.

Luckily, none of us has to venture out until next weekend, so we're ready for an extended stay together as a family. Even if we lose power for several days, we'll still have lights from our battery bank that we can keep charged by the gennys if we need to and we're stocked up with books, games and other activities to keep the kids happy.

The driveway, sidewalks and front porch are already pre-treated with ice melt and we still have 3 extra bags to treat after it really gets started. Plus... I have a 15 year old son that can shovel the walks and driveway to burn off some of that teenage energy.

We have already been through a severe winter ice storm ajust a few years ago where several in our area were without any power for 3 weeks or more. We went 7 days without power at our house, but did just fine.

So, while the rest of the sheeple are going crazy right now, we're sitting back relaxed and ready for whatever may come our way.

I hope you are all ready too if this winter storm is going to affect your area.

73's
Medic73

·
Raving Loony
2,253 Posts
We're not ready!! The storm's supposed to start in about 5 hours, and someone still has to go out for chips and beer! ;-)

But seriously. I think we're pretty well ready, without having to send anyone to the store for anything truly necessary. Glad I wasn't in my friendly local WalMart today. All that's left to do is move a car to the top of the hill, and then we'll be all set to find out how well front-wheel drive does in snow and ice once civilization starts running again.

Hope this SHTF trial goes better than the dry run two years ago did. I'm not taking any meds this time, so at least we've eliminated a rehash of the same disaster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We're not too far along in our long-term preparations, but we're confident we've got what we need to get through this storm if it's as bad as predicted (more than 1 inch ice).

The ice storm a few years ago (we were 7 days without power in the middle of a mid-sized city) gave us a pretty good idea of what works/doesn't work.

We're planning to pile the family, including cats and dogs, into a blocked-off family room - heat with fireplace, cook with Coleman. My son's almost giddy - he says, "I bet it will be even warmer than usual." Sad thing is that he's prolly right; the thermostat's typically set at 60.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Far, So Good

Well, right now we've got a solid 12+ inches of snow on the ground and the blowing snow drifts are over 4 feet deep in places. Major highways are closed due to deep and blowing snow. Roofs are collapsing under the weight of the snow in this area.

But, WE are doing just fine. It's just another day here at Medic73's home. The kids are behaving and we're all safe and warm. Better yet, we have the peace of mind (or chunk of cerebellum as a friend of mine likes to say) knowing that we are prepped and ready for this and whatever else Mother Nature or the Oh Chit Fairy throws at us.

I hope everyone that gets hit by this mjor winter storm, and it is going to be a bunch of people is ready.

Stay Safe everyone.

73's,
Medic73

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I prepped for ya'll. Going to be better than watching the Super Bowl, with all that winter weather. Glad my feet planted in the good ol'south.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am ready :D:

I pulled out a Bortoli Port for the evening, scented some firewood, and washed my favorite polar fleece pants and fuzzy socks.

Make sure that you remember to instruct the maid to have all the dishes done so that the kitchen is nice and clean... if it isn't spotless, candle light will show every little spot on marble counter tops and floors :thumb:

·
dog bites...owner shoots!
206 Posts
Ain't nothing like a good ole winter storm to test your survival skills! I'm like USRealist...I'm glad my feet are planted in the good ole south!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts