Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy to the forum. I have been prepping for a short while now and am focusing on food and water. I have been slowly stocking up and storing dry goods in mylar bags as well as the canned and such. My main concern though has been with water, as that is what will be needed most. I do have about 2 weeks of water stored but wanted something for longer term. I decided that I would use a Berkey filter and I decided to go with the Berkey light. My decision was based on the fact that is uses the same filters and filters as much as a Big Berkey, but just uses a different container all for about $40 less.

Since this filter will only be for emergency usage for a small family, what do you all think? The plan would be to use rainwater and strained creek/river water in it.

Thanks for any and all help!:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Choice GandH !
I went with the Big Berkey in November. I bought 2 and gave the second to our daughter & SIL for Xmas with the idea of emergency situation too. But after setting it up for a trial run we both have found that there's no going back to tap water & use it daily! I' buying a second set of black filters with our tax return!
Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie too in the Pacific NW

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Well, now you have me wanting one LOL !!!!
I just googled around, but now have more questions,rather than less.
Does anyone know if the Berkey's MUST use two filters, or can they operate on a single filter ?
Are the ceramic filters better than the black filters (IOW,worth the increase in cost) ?
It seems to me that it might be worth the extra $40 to get the stainless steel body over the Lexan. Yes/no?
Also, what's a reliable,quick shipping operation (east coast) to get one from ?
Thanks......M.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have the Berkey light as well. Good choice!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I also got a Berkey light , seemed like the most efficient one out there for my situation. I think if you strain the rain , creek water , through cheesecloth , old sheet or t-shirt before put it into the Berkey , you should be fine. I plan to use mine in that way. We have a pretty clean creek about 100 ft. from our back door and I hope to use that when the SHTF . BTW , welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I got 2-10" Berkey filters for $35.00 ea and a spigot for a water jug for $6.00 and 2 free buckets. Good to go, just smells a bit of pickles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They can operate on a single filter, just know that it'll take twice as long to filter down into reservoir.( the more filters, the quicker the job is done) If you are planning on using rainwater,creek,mudpuddle(SHTF) get the BLACK filters. I have the stainless steel berkey for esthetics, it sits on the counter next to the sink & is easy to clean. I've seen plans on site that are for making your own berkey style water reservoir with 5 gallon buckets a spigot then ordering the filters from Berky. You end up with the same results, just depends on your personal preference. The plastic ones would be lighter and better for going camping. I got mine at
http://www.jamesfilter.com. They were the best price offering a choice of free gift with order and I asked if they would give a discount for ordering more than one ~ they gave me another $20.00 off!

·
small "l" libertarian
1,379 Posts
I am convinced I must have one of these now. Safe water was really my only serious concern remaining for SHTF, and though I have a large supply of water (pool), I need a way to make it safe to drink. I know that the chlorine actually helps to make it safe by killing many of the more dangerous organisms that can inhabit water, but too much is dangerous for humans too (it is a poison, after all).

I'm still torn between the Big Berkey and the Berkey Light though. The Berkey Light is a bit cheaper and lighter (if it became necessary to bug out, that might be a concern). I'd like to hear more from those that have them, with what you like about the one you have. Someone that has both and can compare and contrast would awesome.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Since posting on this thread ealier today, I've been digging around the interweb for more info on the Berkey's.
I also keep waffling between the "light and the "Big", but I'm still leaning toward the stainless "Big Berkey" over the plastic "Light".
I read one review where the owner said the plastic felt fragile, and he kept feeling like he was going to break it when assembling or dis-assembling the unit.
I also just found out that they now make a dispensing nozzle that also shows the depth of water in the lower ( purified) chamber.( called a "waterview spigot": http://www.morethanalive.com/Waterview) and can be had as the "free gift" from this company.
IMO this nullifies the main advantage of the "Light" version ( well,there's still the $40 difference.)
I already have a couple Katadyns and an MSR, but they're kid-stuff compared the the Berkey, so I also think I should jump on one of these tomorrow.
I'm also hoping any forum memebers that own either of these will weigh in with further advice sometime tonight. :)

·
A Way of Life
1,304 Posts
We use the Berkey Light everyday and love it. I bought it because we live about 50 yards from a good-sized lake, which will be used in a SHTF scenario. We want clean water everyday, however, so we have it set up in our kitchen now. We certainly won't be worried about our water supply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got mine from bigberkeywaterfilters.com They are offering free shipping and a free gift with purchase (I got 2 portable water bottle filters). If I were going to use it every day I probably would have went with the Big, but because it's only for emeregency, I just got the light.

After all the prepping, I came to the conclusion that without a long term water supply all my other efforts would be worthless, that's what motivated me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts