Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always go late at night to buy my meat 50% off...well the shelves were bare. They were out of so much stock and the stockers were just standing around. I go with another friend who also preps and we were both amazed at how much they are out of. In addition the prices have jumped hugely over last week. Yikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi

I work at one and the last few months certain things are getting harder to get in in any quantiy - last week we had 3 sheets of out of stocks , when usuilly its only one. And the prices change so fast,we can't get the tags with new prices shipped to us that we have to use hand written ones.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I started a thread last April "This Weeks Best Food Buys", .......since then, purdy much nothing to speak of. Nothing is a bargain anymore it seems.
Even staples like beans, rice and flour are way up.
After all these years, my garden is now well worth the effort!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
In my area, we seem to be doing okay...Supply wise, not price wise.

The only thing I haven't been able to get, in the past few days, is the Hormel canned ham (8 ounce, I think). Real good cooked up in the pinto beans.

They had plenty of the roast beef though and I stock that also.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Last night I got a rain check for pasta that is on sale and I have coupons for. The cashier wrote out the rain check for 12 boxes. She said they would probably not get half of that in anytime soon. Normally when I get a rain check for a large number of items, it is no problem.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
keep ramping up those food preps,.....I don't think Fema run soup lines will be as tasty as the 30's ones.
Those heater meals taste like chit!:D:
Coffee and doughnuts sound purdy darn good though.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is Massachusetts the price of food is really getting insane. I am actually contemplating buying the cheapest type meals for me and my family to get us through the winter. Rice and beans will be a good start. Any suggestions for some healthy cheap meals would really help me and my family. :(

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Here is Massachusetts the price of food is really getting insane. I am actually contemplating buying the cheapest type meals for me and my family to get us through the winter. Rice and beans will be a good start. Any suggestions for some healthy cheap meals would really help me and my family. :(
Homemade soups and stews are by far the most economical meals there are.
With a favorite sandwich, they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
what also would be good to know is from the ppl who work in the grocery store to start makeing list of items that are becoming hard to get.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You can create a lot of different meals that revolve around dried beans:

* Cajun red beans & rice is one of my top 3 favorite meals,
* Chili,
* Bean soup,
* 3 Bean salad,
* Hummus (essentially a spiced, pureed chickpeas),
* Falafel (think hamburger patty formed out of pureed beans),
* Caribbean beans & rice. In theory, similar to red beans & rice. However, they often use a sofrito to flavor the rice & bean mixture. You don't find a lot of coriander & cilantro used in the US with beans so it's a very refreshing variation.
* Baked beans (sweet & tangy),
* Jambalaya. It's not traditionally made with beans, but there is absolutely no reason why it can't be a primary ingredient. The other flavorings would make this a great tasting dish.

The key is to buy up every type of dried bean you can find. Take a traditional recipe and substitute the bean with something else. e.g. you can take ordinary chili and use black beans instead. It takes the dish into an entirely different direction so you won't get completely burnt out on beans.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The fact is, more and more people, are having to cut back, because of the prices.

I saw a news(local), story last night, and in my state(NM), the city, county and state governments, are really hurting, because the tax revenues are way down.
--------------------------------------------------
And they admitted, that they were looking at last month’s receipts.
(Next month, when they get the records for this month’s revenue, it will be even less.)

Our governor said, that state services will have to be cut back soon.
So when we don’t buy as much, that trickles up!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
what also would be good to know is from the ppl who work in the grocery store to start makeing list of items that are becoming hard to get.
Groceries are moving more & more towards prepared meals. The best thing that anyone can do to prepare for a survival situation is to learn how to cook from scratch. (BLEEP) the AK-47s and weaponry. Can you make a meatloaf or a casserole to stretch out ingredients in short supply?

Personally I would recommend making a list of grocery items that have a *long* shelf life. And then start compiling recipes that revolve around those ingredients.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
The fact is, more and more people, are having to cut back, because of the prices.

I saw a news(local), story last night, and in my state(NM), the city, county and state governments, are really hurting, because the tax revenues are way down.
And they admitted, that they were looking at last month’s receipts.
(Next month, when they get the records for this month’s revenue, it will be even less.)

Our governor said, that state services will have to be cut back soon.
So when we don’t buy as much, that trickles up!

Just got my 2008 property taxes...had a nice note in it from the county. As every year it shows how much my taxes were reduced by filing for what is called "homestead exemption". This year it was $200.00.

anyway, the note says that due to decreases in revenues at the state level, the state may not re-imburse the county for the homestead exemptions. It will then fall to the countiy, schools & cities to fund the credit out of their budgets..and if they can't, it says I may get another bill for the homestead exemption!

WTFF! yeah I studdered!

Any other states besides Ga have this kind of exemption? :(

·
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon
341 Posts
Thursday night local chinamart was OUT of produce.

NO lettuce.
NO fresh greens.

The "chiller" was BARE.

I asked, and was told it all sold out and the truck didn't come in that night.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
The supplies here never ran out during the gas crunch in the southeast. I guess the .gov figured to run out of gas and food would not be too good so they made sure the shelves stayed close to stocked even though very few had the gas to get there....lol

My local Chinamart is close to fully stocked. I noticed a lot more people are shopping here and at Aldi's now as opposed to Harris Teeter (think very high end super high prices for the exact same foods) or Food Lion (think better than Harris Teeter but generally nowhere near as low as Chinamart or ALDI).

A year ago you only saw a few people at ALDI. Not even the blacks would go there much because of the stigma associated with a discount food chain. Now you see old white women with 2000 dollars worth of jewelry going in there and buying food. Two years ago, there was hardly ever more than 8 or 10 cars in their parking lot at any given time...nowadays it is almost always full.

When I go to ALDI I buy by the case. I usually leave there with 200 to 500 cans of food at a time, depending on what I can fit in the car. They used to have Tilupa(sp?) fillets there very cheap but the price has more than doubled since the last time I went so no more of that.

ALDI sometimes has rice and beans in very large sacks and I usually buy that as well.

Nowadays I try to get there either very early or very late as the crowds make it hard to get around in the store.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I buy local and at the local co-op and from the Amish more than from the store but I did stock up on cat food on Monday and food prices here have actually gone down a bit. Not a whole lot but I always check out staples like milk, bread, and butter and all three of those are down by .4 to .11 cents. Meat is still going up with no specials what so ever in the cooler. I don't know how people who have to buy their meat do it. I hope everyone is set for the winter at least.

Tury

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't forget about potatoes. There's about a million uses for them. :)

Some obvious ones:
baked
sauteed
mashed
in soup
as filler for meat loaf
au gratin
roasted

I have a recipe where you fry bacon, dump in sliced potatoes, and then add a can of drained french cut green beans and that's about it. It's great over a campfire too!

No, I have no affiliation with the Potato Council of America (if there is one). LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i also live in mass and prices are getting crazy. lately me the old lady have been hitting price-rite and sav-a-lot . the usually have killer deals on canned food. i bought about 100 cans for around $30 last week. gotta love ravioli and spaghetti-o's

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Dinner last night was rice and beans with a bit of ham hock thrown in. Guess we better get use to it. .................Alaskan...........

1 - 20 of 61 Posts