Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went shopping for my first handgun. Told the guy at the shop I needed a weapon for home defense. He pointed me to S&W 686P (seven-shooter). Even though I wanted a semi-auto (I wanted to be able to reload quickly), I decided to give it a try. What can I say? The gun felt almost like an extension of my arm, my accuracy was great for someone who never fired a gun before (out of a dozen or so rounds that I fired only one landed outside of the target's black circle, the others were inside). Then I tried a Glock 0.40, and results were abysmal: all my shots landed in the bottom left corner. The gun did not feel right, I simply could not get a grip on it. So I think I am sold, 686 is the gun for me!:thumb: The revolver is simple, there are very few moving parts in it, and there is virtually no risk of malfunction. Which, being a novice shooter, outweighs the benefits of larger capacity and ease of reload that comes with a semi-auto (I figure if I ever have to fire more than seven shots at once I am in deep s..t).

Now, the question. The shop wants $700 for it. Is this a fair price? Also, does anyone else here have any experience with this gun? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
871 Posts
while i'm a big revolver fan i carry a kimber pro carry 45acp
however you can't beat the revolver for reliability i paid 600 bucks for a s&w 686 powerport six shot so 700 is in the ball park for the model you have in mind.

·
NO!
106 Posts
You should try Smith&Wesson's M&P in a .40 or a 9mm before you set yourself on the revolver.
The Glock is not a easy feeling gun for a lot of people. The M&P has three back straps to choose from that help it fit to your hand. It shoots nice, and so far I have never had any issues with any of them I own.
I think the only bad things you would hear about them would come from Glock people and I'm not sure if they even know why the like their Glocks.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Talking as a man that carried a revolver by choice for 4 years in harms way is should do, if you will do. Do your self a favor get the revolver to a gunsmith and get the cylinder charge holes champhered. This will take a "breaks" the hard edge around the mouths of the charge holes. That allow a VERY fast reload with speedloaders. If you watch the films of Jerry Miculke shooting his revolver, even if you can only do it only 1/3 as fast as him you can live through any gunfight that requiers a reload.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You did good! Buy what fits you not what fits someone else. They want $720 here! I wanted to get a Glock 19 a month ago and told my dealer who is a big Glock nut that his price was high. Never heard so much hoot about nothing. But that shows that if nothing else, I was right.

Anyway get yourself some HKS speedloaders and please show us pics when you get it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
im sorry

with the automatic pistols u have about 12-14 rounds that are shot at average accuracy but with the good old 6 shots the 6 rounds are discharged with a lets say good-excellent accuracy id rather have 6 good shots than 14 not so good.

but still i perfer a revolver:thumb: in australia the s&w 686 .357 second hand is worth $750 so id advise u to take the 686 :D:

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked it up on Friday, along with gun cleaning kit, 50 rounds of .357, and 150 rounds of .38 special. Before I left the range, the 100 rounds of .38 spl went to the ammo heaven :D: The gun feels great, but since it's my first gun I really have no basis for comparison. It is easy to operate, easy to maintain, and since it's a revolver there is not much that can go wrong with it mechanical-wise. My plan is to visit the shooting range every two-three weeks for the next couple of months and really learn how to shoot it properly.

Isn't she a beauty?

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Awesome!! Great weapon you won't regret it, just make sure to have a gunsmith chamfer the charge holes for you (about $60 for a gunsmith to do). It will speed up speed loads with speed loaders emancly.

Rifleman 336

1 - 11 of 11 Posts