Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home back in SW Florida was on well for about it's first 3 years, at which point 'city water' was mandated and my parents were required to pay multiple thousands of dollars for it's installation, along with the rest of our neighbors.

That was...6 years ago now?

From my understanding, all sprinkler systems in the area still run on 'well', not city water.

My question is, how could this be tapped into in a situation where the power is out?

I know less than nothing about this subject, but my dad has built houses as a contractor in Florida for over 26 years, including ours, and including a lot of hands on work.

So, he may have some idea, but is probably to stubborn to **** around with it until SHTF.

In any case, is it possible to tap into this well that fuels our sprinkler system, or is it a waste of time (and there are better options already discussed on this forum like this http://sites.google.com/site/treadlepump/buildyourowntreadlepump )?

If so, what would I need to learn so my dad and I could be better prepared to utilize it in a bad scenario? Supplies etc?

thanks

-Svt

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the house was at one time supplied by the well, then chances are the plumbing is still there. You need to go to the well house and look for disconnected pipes. The ends may still be there, or they may have removed them completely. Chances are that city code made them disconnect the two systems.

In the end, the two water systems just need to be plumbed together, with a valve in the line to turn on the well water to the house plumbing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, in the situation of no city water, there mightn't be power either. A good diesel generator would be a great idea. A well serviceman or electrician could hook a 220V plug end onto the well power supply that you could plug into the generator. I have seen well power supplies as plugs into a 220V outlet on the wall, that would be optimal since you could simply pull the plug and plug it into your generator. Generator wattage required will depend on well pump horsepower. Water pressure storage/supply is another story.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
First off, I can't believe the city made you hook up to their water! That just seems wrong to me . . . offer it to the residents yes, but not FORCE them to switch over.

If your house has no power, your well won't work. You would need a generator to run the well.

Here's a trick I learned when I was a kid living in a neighborhood where everyone was on well water. Our well crapped out once, and we ran a regular garden hose, with two female ends, from the neighbor's house to ours, just screwed it into the outdoor faucets on both houses. Turned off the main coming from the well, he turned on his faucet, we turned on ours and PRESTO we had water pressure, from his well, backfed in through the outdoor faucet.

If your outdoor faucets are on city water, it could work the same for you. Just have a plumber come out & install a faucet connected to the well/sprinkler system somewhere in the yard. If you lose city water, just run a hose from the well faucet to one of your outdoor faucets, turn off your city water connection, and now your entire house is running off the well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.