Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who missed it, burst water pipe, major damage. Insurance called me today: they are paying all of it and a reasonable amount for repairs. They were very helpful through the whole process and kept me posted on what was happening.

I am glad I spent some time picking out paint colors and flooring (vinyl planks) so I will be able to move ahead pretty quick. :thumb:

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the house is pretty much gutted at his point. I have electrical, gas, and plumbing (after the re pipe) but no drywall - every room has significant drywall damage due to re pipe and the flood. And no flooring in 2 rooms and need to replace flooring in his room (carpet and stroke victims are just not a good idea). And will need paint.. my painting is laughable.

But I spent the last week picking out flooring and paint samples so pretty ready to go when the check comes in 1-2 weeks. I also found a new sink vanity for the bathroom, the old one had to go because water got under it. I have a plumber who can do the vanity/sink install as well. Our go-to electrical guy is retired but I am sure the general contractor has someone. The outlet on the flooded wall is working so I guess I don't need that done?

The pipe broke in the wall and water was coming out around the outlet, but the outlet still works once it dried out. It is a 220 volt dryer outlet.

But overall very pleased with insurance, they made it pretty painless. We got them when we bought the house, they changed names a few times so I kind of had my doubts but they have been extremely fair and very helpful.

Stillwater.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sleeping on a cot; have one garbage bag full of my clothes. His room was unaffected but all my stuff got "packed out" and put in storage until this is over.

I plan to do a big cleanout when it all comes back, rent a dumpster and be the gatekeeper does it make it in the house or not, move all my racks to the garage (got rid of some stuff in the garage so I could), etc. It will be a whole new house when I'm done.

But it is going to be a lot of work.

My main issue right now are obese housecats wanting to sleep on my cot with me, at night, I can't turn over when they do.

Reactions: monkeystyle

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's on the list... got a long list.

I also have a $2K deductible.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
It's on the list... got a long list.

I also have a $2K deductible.
Deductibles are easily met.

A trash bag of t shirts was my typical illustration as an adjuster.

You have 'junk' that yes is typically a loss, but you won't notice/need to replace to meet it.

I didn't do homeowners, just flood. But under flood you can pay yourself minimum wage.
See If you can under your policy For your cleanup work etc.
That'll count if so.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We hired an abatement? company to mediate the water damage, they did all the tear out, pack out, etc. Getting 12K for it. Insurance had NO problem paying that.

I used Roto Rooter cleanup for that and they did a very good job. 12K worth? I don't know but it's done and the house is dry and no mold, so yay them.

I get a little less than that for repairs. I have I think 70 feet of drywall needs replacing with insulation, tape, texture, paint, and floors in 3 rooms (about 300 square feet). The house is habitable.

The only real problem I forsee: I will need, as discussed in another thread, to take my husband OUT of the house to a hotel while the work is being done, and I want to be here during the work for obvious reasons, SO I need to either recruit a volunteer to assist my husband at the hotel or hire a paid caregiver to assist him. Insurance won't pay for that but most workers are happy at $10 an hour. So I think I could work something if needs be.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Purple Kitty,

Happy that your insurance is covering your water damage.

Based upon severity, water damage can be devastating financially. A neighbor of mine had an upstairs laundry room; the washer hose burst while they were at work, and their 1st floor ceiling came down; so they ended up with major damage on both levels of their home. You're lucky, they had to move out until their house was repaired.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, at one point we probably should have moved out but his man cave was OK so we stayed, changing up his routine would be very bad AND we would have to leave the cats. Not interested in that.

Still no drywall yet and missing 4 doors in the house, etc. but OK for now. I got a sample of some vinyl plank flooring I really like, it seems very durable. Between the pipe break and the repipe I have damage in all rooms of the house, but it is livable to me. I may make a video walking through.

First I am going to wait until I have the check in my hand, then I will start hiring people.

I am also going to look (and feel free to post a link) into finding a company that will insure the cats, basically if something bad happens to the house the cats will get enough money for boarding at a decent facility until it is over. Two of my cats stuck around during the worst, but the rest were out in the cold, all freaked out, not ideal. I don't know if such a plan exists but as Dad always says "If you don't ask, the answer's ALWAYS no."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts