Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you inspired me. I had to try my hand at making a knife. I was in the garage messing around and found a little piece of metal and thought "hey that would make a nice knife". So here is my first attempt at knife making, though not the last I reckon. I ground it to shape with a bench grinder, used a wire wheel to knock off the rust, and an angle grinder with sanding disks to start the edge. I touched it up with a file after that. I worked at putting some wood handles on it but I had no glue or epoxy of any kind. Then I tried to put pins in the handle using an old welding rod with the flux knocked off. It must be to hard of metal because it wouldn't work right. What do you guys normally use? I wrapped the handle in leather til I get the stuff to put the wood on so I can hit the stone with it. Well I know it's not that great but here are some pics anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wicked looking little shiv :thumb:

I think what you're asking is how people drill holes in the tang to mount a two-piece wooden handle yes?

I've done it with just a vice, an awl (to center) and a drill. Not really worth it IMO. That type of handle seems to be the current trend, I would guess to show off the tang? What does work nice is to work with a smaller tang (not a tiny rattail, but slim down your tang to 1/2" wide or so) then either use leather rings or cut wooden rings and drill a hole to fit the tang very snugly. Wood glue, press, sand to shape, and stain (or cover with leather, fabric.). Finish it off with a metal endcap and peen the rest of the tang over it. Makes for a more comfortable and better looking grip IMO.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Wood scales are easy to work once they are fixed on, make sure the holes through the scales align with the tang holes, epoxy glue is probably best, the type you mix two compounds together. For pins try brass s it is soft and will file or sand down with the wood. Dont be worried about it just get stuck in and hell if it goes slightly tits up, what the hell, none of us are knife makers we just like looking at projects that folk have done and we all learn from one another.

·
Registered
304 Posts
that is my favorite episode of Ray Mears! That´s traditional way of making knife here in Scandinavia. We don´t make full tang knives with handle scales. Handle is normally one piece of wood and tang is narrowing towards end.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all mate.
Very simple, you know your not gonna break that knife!

Reactions: tuffnutt
1 - 20 of 25 Posts