Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard people say buying a filter is better than the getting a well, but I don't understand where the water to be filtered is supposed to come from. Can you just filter creek water? In a real emergency is this even plausible?

·
Registered
965 Posts
yea a filter can be taken anywhere and u can get the water from where ever so that's an advantage. If it is a good well though its basically unlimited water so that has its advantages. Living in the Sonoran desert like i do i would do anything to have a good well in a SHTF scenario. A filter would be nice but wouldnt do me any good if i couldnt find any water.

·
Banned
807 Posts
plus a well in a farming community will have a high TDS (total disolved solids) in them i tested water for ecowater and one time in a farming community i found a well with 1500ish TDS score. the FDA says 501 is considerd none potable/not drink able. people were spending alot of money just on bottled water so if you get a well have the TDS checked but in a shtf scenario who is to say the well water or any water will be safe ? so i would filter it also . but thats what RO(reverse osmosis) is for.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I've heard people say buying a filter is better than the getting a well, but I don't understand where the water to be filtered is supposed to come from. Can you just filter creek water? In a real emergency is this even plausible?
Where do you think most water for major municipalities comes from? Yeah, it's not only possible but it's being done on a huge scale every day now.

The Mississippi River today supplies drinking water for every city up and down it, even as dirty as that river is. Mostly, they used rapid sand filters. All the ceramic filters and finer membrane systems can make even cleaner water. And from sources even worse then that.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
plus a well in a farming community will have a high TDS (total disolved solids) in them i tested water for ecowater and one time in a farming community i found a well with 1500ish TDS score. the FDA says 501 is considerd none potable/not drink able. people were spending alot of money just on bottled water so if you get a well have the TDS checked but in a shtf scenario who is to say the well water or any water will be safe ? so i would filter it also . but thats what RO(reverse osmosis) is for.
If you have water, the solar still can be used to leave any of the solids behind, and with high heat like we've been having here in NW Arkansas, getting a lot of distilled water in a day's sunshine isn't a problem. Your high turbid water can be cleaned with a rapid sand filter, then slow-sand filtered to kill off any of the bugs in it. Make sure you have enough water laid by to give your lead time for the filtered water time to elapse. They call 'em slow sand filters for a reason....

·
Banned
807 Posts
yea very nasty water can be made drinkable in the town where i grew up we got our water from the san antonio river. the funy thing is were down stream from san antonio.
(every time they flush there toilets a gallon of water is created) its a small joke where i grew up lol but reverse osmosis is a great way to get the best water you can

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a deep well right in the middle of the Wilcox aquifer here in TX. The water is cold, soft and delicious. I still filter it thru my Berkey.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a deep well right in the middle of the Wilcox aquifer here in TX. The water is cold, soft and delicious. I still filter it thru my Berkey.
about 2 yrs ago we had to redrill our 40yo well. we are about 315' deep and our food water goes through our berkey also.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
It shouldn't be either/or. A filter is almost mandatory. And if you can get a well ALSO, then that's a great long term solution, especially if you can use it to water crops and raise animals also. The ideal would be multiple sources of safe water, plus a filter just in case, or for when you might have to be on the move.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you can drill a shallow well I would go for it big time. Be sure your ground water is okay in your area. You probably want to filter well water as well. I did when I had my wells.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Both, naturally.

But if you're not having to move nothing beats a well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts