Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tossed some gear on the scales today and got a big surprise.

.30 carbine rifle w/UF stock: 6#
.30 30mag w/rubber cap/30rds: 1# 14 oz

AK-MAK rifle w/orig wood: 8#
AK 30 mag w/rubber cap/30rds: 1# 15 oz
AK wind up drum, pouched with clean kit w/75 rd AP: 5.5#

Now not to sound like a hippie back packer who saws off their toothbrush, Is there a stock set change out that can cut the differences between the two rifles? Like the fiberforce dragonuv? I was thinking there was a huge difference in weight but its the drums that rack it up so fast.

K98 sporterized: 7.5# :eek:

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really like to cut some weight off the MAK. It is a heavier AK version than most and very durable but heavy for a short rifle.
Like the functionality of this, but not sure its worth the trigger group to stay legal and price or if it would even cut the 2#.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49796-1.html

The big surprise for me is the 30 rd mags being almost the same weight but one is half the size of the other.

Yes, I'm down to just 2 of the wind up drums. Is the extra weight worth it? Not having to change mags 5 times and only changing twice is worth the weight trade off to me.

If the rifle has a sturdy enough mag well and release mechanism, I would always choose drums over multiple changes, but that is just me.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
The eastern block stuff is typically heavy. I really don't think there is any way to appreciably cut the weight. May be able to pare a pound by changing the stock, other than that there isn't much one can do. I went with a Yugo underfolder and it is still freaking heavy. 1.6mm receiver?
Peter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's something to remember for those who like the drums. If you are carrying say two of these instead of 5 30rounders its nice not to have to swap mags, but if one drum malfunctions and the other runs empty how long will it take to reload? Probably a lot longer than tossing aside a faulty mag and grabing another one.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point. I only really trust the chicom drums as they can be snapped open and attended to very easily. Wouldn't touch a romy for that reason. Still I stock the 30s/40s as well along with them.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Wow, The 30 carbine is running nearly eight lbs. with a loaded magazine. Thats a bit more than I thought it would be. The marlin 1894 CB in .357 would probably be a bit lighter, at 6 and a half lbs. empty and what ever ten rounds of .357 weigh, which isn't much.
Peter

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, The 30 carbine is running nearly eight lbs. with a loaded magazine. Thats a bit more than I thought it would be. The marlin 1894 CB in .357 would probably be a bit lighter, at 6 and a half lbs. empty and what ever ten rounds of .357 weigh, which isn't much.
Peter
Hi Peter, I weighed 30s. I think a lot of folks use 15s rather than 30s, don't know.

The stock is a fairly rare underfolder version from the 70s 80s that has the two arms and a third stabilizer arm on the one side. This could be the difference. A fair bit of iron there. Most are around 5.0-5-5# I thought depending on birch over the more dense walnut.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Brew,
I don't know why I was thinking the 30 carbine would be lighter than that. It just might be that the 1894 Marlin does have a bit of an edge in the weight department. That or they are so close it's a moot point. I sure like the Marlin 1894 CB with ten shot tubular magazine, slim, sleek, accurate and no magazines to drop or drag along. I'm not knocking the carbine, since they are nice, just a bit out of my price range.
Peter

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm surprised the drum weighs that much. I would not want to be packing 3 or 4 of those.
I was thinking about this later and if the 30s weigh 2# each loaded and three of them are 90rd over 75 for the drum, its almost the exact same weight at 6# vs 5.5#. The drums may actually weigh less since I weighed them in the pouch with a cleaning/tool kit,BSE, and dustcap.

Sometimes I just can't sort it out no matter how I figure it. Drums or mags makes no difference really. I should have kept the other drums.:xeye:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts