Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Here’s where I am and how I got there...

Early 2018 we moved to Florida. Super hectic year. Early 2019 found a house and got settled. Finally signed up at the gym.

I was at the gym almost daily and doing keto. I got down to 260 and made solid gains in strength and started doing dead lifts and squats again.

Then late 2019 I got a cold or something that wrecked my diet and had me out of the gym for 2-3 weeks. Then the holidays came and went.

I started back to the gym early ‘20 and had good gains. I was able to do reps of military with 185 and incline db presses with 95.

And then came covid and the gyms closed. Pretty much everything went to ****.

Shortly after the gyms reopened I got covid and was out for about three weeks.

Shortly after I was able to go back my new Tundra got totaled. I got a mix of herniated and bulging discs in my neck and a tear in my left shoulder. That was late August. I have not been to the gym since.

I will be starting back this Monday.

One positive of 2020 is my son being born on my birthday.

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
Yep... get yourself going brother! And be 'religious' about posting here. The accountability and encouragement is exceptional.... as good as it gets for being virtual.

I had a similar experience three years ago. One of my grandsons was born on the day before my birthday. He is on the 26th and I am on the 27th. And to 'put icing on the cake', he is named after my great grand father and myself. I am the "2nd" and Little John is the "3rd".

One positive of 2020 is my son being born on my birthday.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This thread was a good read. I have struggled with weight loss/gain for decades.I have lost as much as 95 lbs just to gain it back a couple years later. I`m now in my 50`s and have leveled out at about 200 lbs. I eat a little better and stay active. Food can be seriously addictive Some years are good some aren`t.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Keto really worked well for me. It is so noticeable the difference in energy levels.
I start with “dirty” keto for a few weeks to get it going. I have test strips to check my levels daily. It takes 4-6 days to get it going.
I also enjoy watching Seth Feroce(sp?) on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,744 Posts
Congrats on the new baby!!

And good on you for getting back on the horse! Just think how much more fun you two will have when he gets older if you are able to get fit and keep up with him!

You guys and your fitness threads are making me think I need to start one. Seems like it has been one step forward, 3 steps back since that damned tree branch fell on me.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Keto really worked well for me. It is so noticeable the difference in energy levels.
I start with “dirty” keto for a few weeks to get it going. I have test strips to check my levels daily. It takes 4-6 days to get it going.
I also enjoy watching Seth Feroce(sp?) on YouTube.
I've just started keto, well, it's been 5 days, but I can already see some loss around the waistline, but worry about energy levels and lifting weights.

I take it, it will take a bit for my energy levels to come up and normalize?

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I've just started keto, well, it's been 5 days, but I can already see some loss around the waistline, but worry about energy levels and lifting weights.

For me it only took a few days to noticed increased focus and energy.

If you test your ketone levels you will notice your levels will be lower when you wake up and post workout.

Also, if you haven’t noticed already you will likely be pissing often as your body dumps water weight.

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts

Guys... today is Day #28 of KETO for me. There is no way I could go back to the high rep, burnout weight workouts I did when not on KETO and I can't go hard on the Elliptical either.

You can look at my workouts, but I am extremely low rep but lifting as heavy as I can. It works for me. It is perking up my metabolism and I am confident I am loosing fat quicker.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Guys... today is Day #28 of KETO for me. There is no way I could go back to the high rep, burnout weight workouts I did when not on KETO and I can't go hard on the Elliptical either.

You can look at my workouts, but I am extremely low rep but lifting as heavy as I can. It works for me. It is perking up my metabolism and I am confident I am loosing fat quicker.
Do you take a pre workout? Now that you mention it I do recall not having the stamina or at least struggling.

I typically started my routine with five minutes on the rowing machine and finished with 30 minutes on the elliptical.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
First day back in the gym since early August. It was busy with all the "resolution " folks.

I did not hit it hard, just testing the waters and seeing how my shoulder and neck would react. Due to the crowd I could not do things in my normal order. It went something like this:
Incline dB presses - 40lbs x 20, x 15 x 15
Five minutes on the rowing machine
Incline Smith machine 95lbs x 15 x3; 135lbs x 8 x 3
Push downs - 40 x 27.5lbs, 38.5lbs x 20 x 2
A crunch machine that left me nearly debilitated after a set of 20, then 15. I use to do 1000+ reps per session. That was not even a year ago. Tonight it was cramping so bad I could not move, went to sit down.... I thought I was going to have an involuntary colon catastrophe so I went to the toilet. Once things settled I went to the elliptical for 30 minutes. Heart rate stayed around 142. It needs to be around 138.

Also started keto today. I did not bother weighing myself because I know the first week will just be losing water weight. It can be aggravating seeing 5+ pounds drop the first week and then just a pound or two a week going forward.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
No gym today, stuck to the diet. No aches today from yesterday's workout.

I have started taking a turmeric capsule along with my multivitamin. I'm hoping it helps with inflammation.

Pissed like mad over the past 24 hours. Woke up 3-4 times last night to empty the bilge.

It's amazing how junk makes you retain water.

I'll test my ketone level this weekend. Once I am solidly in ketosis I'll go for 3-4 weeks dirty then start getting cleaner hoping to greatly reduce sodium intake to further eliminate water weight.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Last week started good until Thursday. Stress defeated me that day. What's worse is I let it.

I have been doing more research into different keto foods. I'm trying to sort out what food characteristics trigger ketosis and how various nutrients affect us.

It is sort of becoming an experiment/project which oddly enough catches my interest more than just the thought of dropping pounds.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I'd sure like to know your finding if you don't mind.
I plan to start posting daily. So far I'm reading good things about coconut oil and how it speeds up the ketosis process.

I also use the carb manager app to keep my percentages on track. 5% carbs not to exceed 26g per day; 70% fat; 25% protein. Staying very close to these numbers have had me in ketosis in 5-6 days.

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
I plan to start posting daily. So far I'm reading good things about coconut oil and how it speeds up the ketosis process.

I also use the carb manager app to keep my percentages on track. 5% carbs not to exceed 26g per day; 70% fat; 25% protein. Staying very close to these numbers have had me in ketosis in 5-6 days.

Yep.... you will loose a steady 2-3 lbs a week if you stick with it. Honestly, it is quiet an accomplishment to drop 12 lbs a month.

Yeah, we purchased both Coconut Milk and Oil. We have found it is good, but only with certain foods. We use the heck out of Avocado oil.

·
Dirty Mind
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Yep.... you will loose a steady 2-3 lbs a week if you stick with it. Honestly, it is quiet an accomplishment to drop 12 lbs a month.

Yeah, we purchased both Coconut Milk and Oil. We have found it is good, but only with certain foods. We use the heck out of Avocado oil.
I have avocado oil as well. I'm trying to get myself to eat an avocado.

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
I have avocado oil as well. I'm trying to get myself to eat an avocado.
The wife and I eat about 2.5-3 avocados each a week. I slap half of one on a bun-less bacon cheese burger. I cube them up in salads. Sometimes I slice up 1/2 one, salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice and eat alone.

·
Survivor
16,480 Posts
The wife and I eat about 2.5-3 avocados each a week. I slap half of one on a bun-less bacon cheese burger. I cube them up in salads. Sometimes I slice up 1/2 one, salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice and eat alone.
We eat them in many different ways but they are delicious with Russian dressing drizzled on them.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts