Survivalist Forum banner

Weekly Prep Buys - Progress Without All The Pain!

3793 27
My wife and I are "closet preppers," and I regularly stalk this forum for helpful info.

I thought this might be of help to some ...

We now work a "Monthly/Weekly" Purchase System for our regular food preps. We intentionally purchase an extra $12-$20 of food each week with our regular grocery bill for moderate-term storage (with ongoing rotation). We buy things that we use all of the time, anyway, so that we don't have any weird, unusable, items going out of date and rotting on our shelves. Thus, all regular purchases of non-perishable food for the kitchen pantry first make a trip through the basement to be rotated into storage, with the shortest dated items rotated upstairs.

Keep in mind that we also store pasta, rice, sugar, pinto beans, oats, wheat, and popcorn in bulk. (Wheat and regular pasta aren't much use to me, personally, because I have celiac disease/gluten enteropathy, but I figure I can trade it someday).

Here is the list that we use, for four weeks out of each month ...

Monthly Extra Buys

Week 1
___ 4 Cans Corn
___ 4 Cans Green Beans
___ 4 Cans Pork & Beans
___ 4 Cans Black-Eyed Peas
___ 1 Case Bottled Water
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 2
___ 4 Cans Sweet Peas
___ 4 Cans Carrots
___ 2 Cans Tuna in Water
___ 2 Cans Vienna Sausages
___ 1 Bottle Chicken / Beef Bullion
___ 4 Cans Diced Tomatoes
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 3
___ 2 Jars / Cans Spaghetti Sauce
___ 1 Jar Peanut Butter
___ 1 Bottle Ketchup / Mustard / A-1
___ 1 Box Iodized Salt
___ 2 Cans White-Meat Chicken
___ 1 Box Iced Tea (Decaf Family Size)
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 4
___ 1 Bottle BBQ Sauce or Italian Dressing
___ 1 Folgers Coffee (270-cup tub or larger)
___ 10 Packets of Kool-Aid (Various Flavors)
___ 1 Bottle Vegetable / Canola / Sunflower Oil
___ 5 lbs sugar

This list matches our regular use and personal priorities. Everyone's list will ,of course, be a bit different.

I'm just wondering if anyone else uses the same strategy of small, weekly buys in addition to bulk purchases.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
That is how I do it. I buy what I normally do then add about $10-$20. I love deals at the store and want basically a pantry that has about 3 months or so of food at any time without any of the long term foods I have. Eventually I plan on having a years worth :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.