Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are "closet preppers," and I regularly stalk this forum for helpful info.

I thought this might be of help to some ...

We now work a "Monthly/Weekly" Purchase System for our regular food preps. We intentionally purchase an extra $12-$20 of food each week with our regular grocery bill for moderate-term storage (with ongoing rotation). We buy things that we use all of the time, anyway, so that we don't have any weird, unusable, items going out of date and rotting on our shelves. Thus, all regular purchases of non-perishable food for the kitchen pantry first make a trip through the basement to be rotated into storage, with the shortest dated items rotated upstairs.

Keep in mind that we also store pasta, rice, sugar, pinto beans, oats, wheat, and popcorn in bulk. (Wheat and regular pasta aren't much use to me, personally, because I have celiac disease/gluten enteropathy, but I figure I can trade it someday).

Here is the list that we use, for four weeks out of each month ...

Monthly Extra Buys

Week 1
___ 4 Cans Corn
___ 4 Cans Green Beans
___ 4 Cans Pork & Beans
___ 4 Cans Black-Eyed Peas
___ 1 Case Bottled Water
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 2
___ 4 Cans Sweet Peas
___ 4 Cans Carrots
___ 2 Cans Tuna in Water
___ 2 Cans Vienna Sausages
___ 1 Bottle Chicken / Beef Bullion
___ 4 Cans Diced Tomatoes
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 3
___ 2 Jars / Cans Spaghetti Sauce
___ 1 Jar Peanut Butter
___ 1 Bottle Ketchup / Mustard / A-1
___ 1 Box Iodized Salt
___ 2 Cans White-Meat Chicken
___ 1 Box Iced Tea (Decaf Family Size)
___ 5 lbs Sugar

Week 4
___ 1 Bottle BBQ Sauce or Italian Dressing
___ 1 Folgers Coffee (270-cup tub or larger)
___ 10 Packets of Kool-Aid (Various Flavors)
___ 1 Bottle Vegetable / Canola / Sunflower Oil
___ 5 lbs sugar

This list matches our regular use and personal priorities. Everyone's list will ,of course, be a bit different.

I'm just wondering if anyone else uses the same strategy of small, weekly buys in addition to bulk purchases.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I think I would add water every week UNLESS you have a way to get water (well, lake, stock tank, etc).

Other than that, it looks good as far as food preps go.

Suzanne

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I would add water every week UNLESS you have a way to get water (well, lake, stock tank, etc).

Other than that, it looks good as far as food preps go.

Suzanne
Suzanne, we have a separate water plan. We just buy one case of bottled a month. We also bottle an additional 2 liters (soda bottles) each week, and have two waterbobs on the shelf ready to go in case of emergencies. I'm fortunate to have a pond on my property, as well as a DE filtered 28,000 gallon swimming pool. I'm in the process of constructing a rainwater system now. :D: I'm not into high-volume, long-term water storage. Not when I have outside water sources, including a creek about 400 yards away.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I thought you might have but sometimes water is overlooked.

We don't have any ponds or lakes close by but we are going to put in a stock tank this fall.

I think I'm going to adopt your plan/list if you don't mind.

Suzanne

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Do not forget a few cans of Corned beef hash. It is like having the obligatory can of Spam, but it is actually edible when you fold a egg in when frying it. :D:

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do not forget a few cans of Corned beef hash. It is like having the obligatory can of Spam, but it is actually edible when you fold a egg in when frying it. :D:
We actually try to just buy the stuff we use now. If I bought the hash, it would eventually go bad because it's not a regular part of our diet.

But I have to admit that I do, indeed, like SPAM. It just doesn't like me (my cholesterol). :xeye:

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
I would suggest switching out sugar, every other week, with Salt. Weeks 1 and 3 get Sugar, weeks 2 and 4 get Salt. Salt has hundreds of uses. main things are flavoring, and preserving food.

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about non-food stuff? I'd add an extra pack of TP or soap every week. :)
We already do that. Just not as a part of the weekly plan. I regularly buy extra supplies of such goods. (I even buy an extra box of incandescent light bulbs each week, since the Feds have seen fit to "outlaw" them in the coming days.)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
Stocking like that is a little hard for me since I don't really use or stock much in the way of canned goods, other than meats. Nor most other grocery store type items. I tend to put a little away when I can and then buy bulk beans, grains, dehydrated foods, oils, etc. This doesn't work so well when you're first starting out, but once you're pretty well squared away it is a great way to replace used preps and build a larger inventory of them.

Some of the things I do buy a few of during my regular shopping trips are things like TP, household chemicals, vinegar, baking soda, personal care items, etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great List! And very similar to mine...except I additionally buy 4 cans of soup on weeks 2 and 4, and 4 cans of sliced potatoes and 4 cans of Chili on week 1.
I also buy 1 box of Cereal and fruit snacks and 2 boxes of Pop Tarts (grandkids) on weeks 1 and 3 and extra water every week because our emergency source (small creek with pond) is about a 1/2 mile away. I also buy at least 2 additional medications each month for my whole family. (Antibiotics, Diovan, Metaformin etc.)

With 12 of us and 6 pets, were going to need about 6000-9000 gallons for a years supply. :eek:
Rainwater system will be used for gray water ie., dishes, washing, gardens, and flushing. Sure wish we would have put in a pool a few years ago!!

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stocking like that is a little hard for me since I don't really use or stock much in the way of canned goods, other than meats. Nor most other grocery store type items. I tend to put a little away when I can and then buy bulk beans, grains, dehydrated foods, oils, etc. This doesn't work so well when you're first starting out, but once you're pretty well squared away it is a great way to replace used preps and build a larger inventory of them.

Some of the things I do buy a few of during my regular shopping trips are things like TP, household chemicals, vinegar, baking soda, personal care items, etc.
We do used canned veggies now, so we buy like we use. Since we don't use a lot of canned meats, we tend to avoid those. Besides, there's too much to shoot off of of the back deck. :thumb:

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great List! And very similar to mine...except I additionally buy 4 cans of soup on weeks 2 and 4, and 4 cans of sliced potatoes and 4 cans of Chili on week 1.
I also buy 1 box of Cereal and fruit snacks and 2 boxes of Pop Tarts (grandkids) on weeks 1 and 3 and extra water every week because our emergency source (small creek with pond) is about a 1/2 mile away. I also buy at least 2 additional medications each month for my whole family. (Antibiotics, Diovan, Metaformin etc.)

With 12 of us and 6 pets, were going to need about 6000-9000 gallons for a years supply. :eek:
Rainwater system will be used for gray water ie., dishes, washing, gardens, and flushing. Sure wish we would have put in a pool a few years ago!!
I can't do the soups, chili, or cereals because of Celiac Disease. It sucks. We stock up on OTC meds at Dollar Tree and places like that. I buy extra antibiotics when I'm out of the country on business.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is how I do it. I buy what I normally do then add about $10-$20. I love deals at the store and want basically a pantry that has about 3 months or so of food at any time without any of the long term foods I have. Eventually I plan on having a years worth :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Some of the stuff seems excessive to buy every month (week 4 for example), most of that stuff would go bad before you can use it all.
Also cases of bottled water is wasteful, look at all the wasted space between the bottles. Buy the larger jugs, its more space efficient to store.
I'd change it a little bit and make it week 1 flour, week 2 sugar, week3 salt, like that instead 4 weeks of sugar.
i don't stick to a set schedule except for a few items, I tend to wait for sale and stock up on whatever is on sale.

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some of the stuff seems excessive to buy every month (week 4 for example), most of that stuff would go bad before you can use it all.
Also cases of bottled water is wasteful, look at all the wasted space between the bottles. Buy the larger jugs, its more space efficient to store.
I'd change it a little bit and make it week 1 flour, week 2 sugar, week3 salt, like that instead 4 weeks of sugar.
i don't stick to a set schedule except for a few items, I tend to wait for sale and stock up on whatever is on sale.
What, exactly, would go to waste? :xeye:

We rotate this stuff every month. That includes the bottled water.

Like I said in the initial post, everyone's use list will be different.

Anyways, I can't buy flour ... a sack of flour is a sack of pain and diarrhea for a Celiac like me. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts