Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Making knives with my kids

We made the following this weekend in my shop. This is my daughters first knife, but she and her brother have been turning pens since they were five or six.

Rachel age 8- pen and first knife
Pen Office supplies Wood Writing implement
Knife Wood Blade Marking knife Tool

Rusty age 10- ulu and folding knife
Blade Metal
Razor Wood Blade Marking knife

Me -filet knife and throwing knife
Blade Wood Tool Knife Marking knife
Knife Blade Dagger Cutting tool Tool

Rusty's folding knife started out to be a fixed blade, but I broke the tang punching a hole for one of the pins. He wanted to throw it away , but I convinced him to let me try to salvage it. This is the result.

Rachel turned the pen and knife handle by herself and I helped with the blade.Next time she wants to do more of the blade herself.

I am so proud of my children and am thankful that I have hobbies that we can do together.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
All i can say is :wow and when do i get an invite to come and work with you in your work shop.:D:

I would say that the Ulu needs a bigger bevel:thumb:and it is massive :eek:my Ulu is just over two inches in width

Have you tried out the thrower yet and if so how did it do?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All i can say is :wow and when do i get an invite to come and work with you in your work shop.:D:

I would say that the Ulu needs a bigger bevel:thumb:and it is massive :eek:my Ulu is just over two inches in width

Have you tried out the thrower yet and if so how did it do?
sticks,
Since you are the one who got me interested in knifemaking , you have an open invitation.

As for the ulu ,it is bigger than mine, but looks even bigger because the handle is smaller.Do you have a picture showing the cutting edge on yours , and do you use any kind of jig to help get the proper bevel?

The throwing knife works great. It really balances well. I just need to practice more with it.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
sticks,
Since you are the one who got me interested in knifemaking , you have an open invitation.

As for the ulu ,it is bigger than mine, but looks even bigger because the handle is smaller.Do you have a picture showing the cutting edge on yours , and do you use any kind of jig to help get the proper bevel?

The throwing knife works great. It really balances well. I just need to practice more with it.
Thanks Bro.

You Kids did a great job and should be proud of themselves.:)

I put a bevel on one side of my Ulu,i think this is how they are done?

I never use jigs,i just do the bevel by eye.

That thrower looks the business.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good work Bru, the fillet knife is a pleasure to see.
What steel did you use, are they forged?
The filet knife is from an old hand saw and is very limber.

The thrower is from a piece of 24 inch circular saw blade.

The ulu is from a 8 inch circular saw blade.

The folder and fixed blade are both from sawzall blades.

None of these were forged just cut and ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.