Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weekend camping trip out of town on a farm my family inherited. Gear inventory. Pretty bad hail storm. All in all it was kickass.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Excellent job! This is what most people never do...practice with their kit. Seeing the size of hail, it wasn't the best of conditions either. When you get a chance, post up any of your "lessons learned". It looked well planned and decent camp layout. I wonder if a fire reflector would have helps a little if it was too cold, but your fire was definitely big enough:D:

If you can't have a women warm you up, man's-best-friend is the next best thing!:eek:

Thanks for sharing...

ROCK6

·
Amat victoria curam
1,430 Posts
Like the others have said , interested in what you learned/took away. What was used what wasn't, what would u add or take away,did what you use work as advertised.

Inquiring minds wanna know..

·
reluctant sinner
20,097 Posts
I think your fire is 2 steps to close to the shelter, maybe our wood is way more poppy than yours. I remember a freak hail storm once out rabbit hunting away from camp with no shelter. Was only pea gravel sized hail, but stung like bees when wind driven.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I'm glad you guys like the photos. I feel the same I love a detailed and photographed account of a survivalist bugout scenario.

This is a lot different then what I'm used to, my usual setup is very much an urban edc carry so this was a pure backwoods scenario.

I went for a minimalist approach. Didn't bring a Katadyn hiker pro. I brought a lifestraw and a 1 litre Nalgene bottle. Because of the cold I needed to be close to the fire, I brought two heavy mylar tarps. To name some inventory:

-Remington 870 shotgun + norinco 12.5 barrel w/ modified choke
-lifestraw
-two emergency mylar blankets
-ontario sp1 knife
-esee izula
-Bahco folding saw
-all gathered paracord
-msr steel cup
-gerber multitool
-3 Bic lighters
-Firestarter
-1 litre Nalgene bottle
-gerber extendable field sharpener
-Petzl head lamp
-led Maglite
-MEC caravan sleeping bag
-power monkey solar panel and battery
-17 shells 7.5 birdshot, 15 slugs, 30 buckshot

Bags
Deuter backpack
UTG bag

I heavily recommend the Bahco saw. Light enough I could put it in my left pocket, carry the ontario sp1 on my right hip, with the esee izula around my neck. Ontario sp1 and izula have both held up to a large amount of baton in, respective of their individual size.

The two mylar blankets were a great idea and sheltered me well during the storm. But because there were two a lot of heat escaped from he side away from the fire. Next time I'd use one and sacrifice the space. I think it would've made a big difference I could really feel the heat escaping.

The hail was unexpected and kind of nuts haha. I dug a really big trench around the shelter to prevent flooding if it rained. But when it started coming down it was loud underneath the shelter. I kicked the wood steak out and let it lie flat. At some point in the roar it started to die down.

The dog isn't mine. It belongs to friends who were coming to meet up to check out the setup. A lot of property's in the area accessible through the woods. Thing is they got blocked by hunters, which, when I found out was a bit creepy due to the fact there were deer walking all around me. Roughly 30 yards away. Guess I was quiet.

Next time I head out with the remington I will bring the long barrel. The short barrel was good this time due to traversing through thick brush. But the long barrel is crucial for harvesting game. This is canada so I can't carry a pistol or ar platform rifle. Its all good though. Sometimes it's good to go full minimalist.

I brought two cans of maple beans, can of chunky stew, flat bread, and a pack of hot dogs. Nothing special.

I just filled up water in the Nalgene and found a body of water I could drink out of. No indigestion or sickness followed.

I think that's it, thanks very much everyone. I got some more gear since then and I plan on heading out again. My brother just did a trip in -25 all water bottles and water filters froze, had to use snowshoes to get into the interior.

·
reluctant sinner
20,097 Posts
I understand about drilling holes and installing a stud. I have made spacers to fit between the recoil pad and stock for sling attachment.

Can't exactly tell what it is or if you have some sort of ghost ring front sight. I have a 31" overall length 870 Express cut to a 20" barrel, with screw in chokes, extended magazine, a mid bead in the rib for a rear sight using slugs and a pistol grip. Own camp to about 100 yards.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice job, I'd only suggest you swap the SKS to a Norinco SKS Sporter Thumbhole Stock 16" which takes AK mags. It's easier to carry, easier to hide and has zero issue with most of the solid steel rounds out there (but I do lube the barrel every two mags). Avoid the PMAGs for these unless you opt for the extended mag release. The PMAGs may also require you to file the feed stock down to accommodate for the girth - personally I'd just opt to swap out the stock with something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.