Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did come across an Eisenhower Dollar that I forgot I had and did not know it had 40% silver in it!

Ooops error, not a silver uncirculated one. Ohwell

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the link, I went through almost all the coin stashes in the house and actually found some silver coins (I had a mix of both American and Canadian coins). I still have one more stash to go through, but I will save it for another day (those tiny dates on the dimes are pretty hard to read after doing several hundred!)

Also, a quick thing I will do from now on is any 60's or earlier coins I will pull out when I get change back, then I can double check at home if any were the silver coins to save.

While having a half dozen silver coins isn't much, it is six more than I had yesterday :)

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Thanks for the link, I went through almost all the coin stashes in the house and actually found some silver coins (I had a mix of both American and Canadian coins). I still have one more stash to go through, but I will save it for another day (those tiny dates on the dimes are pretty hard to read after doing several hundred!)

Also, a quick thing I will do from now on is any 60's or earlier coins I will pull out when I get change back, then I can double check at home if any were the silver coins to save.

While having a half dozen silver coins isn't much, it is six more than I had yesterday :)
You can stack the coins and sort them by the copper edges, they are very apparent.

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
U.S. coins can be checked this way, Canadian coins can't, edges look the same regardless of composition unfortunately. A magnet will help though, as will a magnifying glass or loupe.
I was speaking about US coins and probably should have stated so. Just trying to save the guys eyesight and help him move through his task with more ease. Good heads-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts