Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several differences between these 2 rifles, so lets take a look.

Open sights:
Weatherby - No
Savage - Yes

Price:
Weatherby - $399
Savage - $499

Synthetic Stock:
Weatherby - Yes
Savage - Yes

Weight:
And this is were the problem is. The Savage rifle I held was rather light. The weatherby is on the heavy side. The lighter the rifle, the more it kicks. This is the problem I am running into now.

My current deer rifle is a Remington Model 700 BDL mountain rifle in 280 / 7mm express. Remington shaved a few pounds off the mountain rifle to make it easier to carry, but it kicks rather badly. Since the 308 has a smaller case then the 280, I dont know how bad its going to kick from the Savage. I know for sure the Weatherby is not going to kick at all. 2 years ago I took a nice 8 point whitetail deer with a weatherby vanguard in 270. That is one nice shooting rifle.

I like the open sights on the Savage because my current remington does not have open sights. So that is a big bonus. I need a rifle I can take the scope off of and use for up close work on hogs and deer.

Right now the Savage has the lead just because of the open sights, but I do not need a lot of recoil either - that is one thing I am trying to get away from.

Any suggestions, opinions or ideas???

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only one I have experience with is the savage. I have a fxp3 with accutrigger in a 30-06 I replaced gthe scope with a ikon bdc buckmaster. this gun at 100 yards is shooting bulls eye at 1inch groups, love the gun and the kick is not bad I shoot 150 grain. Thats all I can say

·
Registered
871 Posts
the 308win has alot of knock down power, but recoil is managable my personal favorite load for deer in the brushy area were i hunt is 180gr roundnose softpoints by remington, if recoil is your concern alot of companies are making reduced recoil rounds for the 308win, oh btw go with savage very accurate rifles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my Savage110 in 30.06 fifteen years ago when I was in college. At the time it was all I could afford. I got the package gun(synthetic stock, blued steel) that Wal-Mart sold with the scope already installed. I put a better scope and rings on the rifle the next year and I have hunted with it every since.When I got a job I would always say every summer that I was going to by me a nicer deer rifle. Every year I go sight in my rifle and just keep it. Hard to change from a rifle that groups like mine. I have friends that have well over $1000 in their rigs and they don't shoot better groups than my Savage. I guess what I am trying to say is I definately believe that Savage makes the most accurate out of the box rifle on the market. I just don't think you would ever regret the Savage,......but it does kick like a mule. Not a problem when hunting, but not pleasant off the bench. Anyway thats my two cents(currently adjusted for inflation).

Chad

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a Savage in 30-06, and for an inexpensive rifle, it shoots great. Accuracy vs price, it's a clear winner.

·
Registered
784 Posts
well i have a savage 30-06, and it has the synthetic stock. so yes it is light and kicks like a mule. but by the same account even after hauling it around in the back seat of my truck kinda sorta under stuff the scope is still sighted in. but it does not have iron sights as a back up

hmmmmmm know anybody that has one that u can shoot a few rounds out of, and yes the lighter the rifle the longer u can pack it. but also makes it kick more

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also have one with sythetic stock and kick does not bother me shooting 30-06 150 grain. shoot untill barrel gets to hot then let cool down and go back to it probally about 40 rounds everytime at range. modle number 111 fxp3 with nickon bdc scope and accutrigger, shoots .75 -1 inch max at 100 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts