Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
gardener & news junkie
3,244 Posts
It depends. If you're seeding pots or cell packs of early things like brassicas and if you think the weather will be suitable for transplanting them in about 5 weeks or so, I'd do it. I'm starting that stuff today.

If you're wanting to direct seed anything outdoors, well.... you'll have to rely on your past experience! But if you're a new gardener, you'll have to rely on the recommendations of the good extension folks you have at Mississippi State.

Or roll the dice as we all sometimes do. ;)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I wouldn't plant anything that wasn't very cold hardy at this point. I agree with BrettTheOkie. March is always a wild card. Here, I've seen January and February be mild, and March bust our buns.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
In our part of Jawja, we plant on April15, as that is USUALLY after the last frost. I have a peach tree, which as I look out the window this morning, is covered with blooms.

In 10 years, it's actually born fruit all the way to harvest on only 2 occasions. The rest of the time, which will include this year, it gets frozen out after blooming and setting fruit. We're supposed to have 25-28 Monday morning.

I'm taking it out next Spring.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
gardener & news junkie
3,244 Posts
Wldwsel, I hear you about Monday morning. I think I'll set up a tunnel over the carrot bed. Those plants are very lush and happy. But I think the tough stuff in the rest of the garden can handle it.

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

The weather here has been ridiculous. 70 yesterday, 50s today supposedly 10 Monday lol what??

How but the temps with the exception of this coming Monday have been crazy warm. Do you think it'll be safe to plant after next week?
I wouldn't even thunk about planting in the ground.

We live on the MS gulf coast and our wx is being stupid also. :taped:

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Often in January, we get weather down in the teens... which is cold enough to kill the winter garden.

On those years, I replant.... stuff like carrots, spinach, turnips, rutabagas, mustard... snow peas, and fava beans... in febuary.

I've been waiting till next month before sowing those snow peas... but the fava beans are up... the kale looks good, as does the turnips and rutabagurs.

Re the summer stuff?
Last frost date around here is like the 11 of april or later...

I try to start stuff in pots in time to plant in April... those pots usually just live out doors where I can cover them with a bed sheet in case of frost...

Just because we had triple digit days in october and 70's last week doesn't mean that we won't get a late frost in April... we usually do... global warming doesn't rule out an occasional inconvenient frost...

I just pay close attention to what the local weather is predicting... they are pretty accurate... but 35 degrees predicted is usually close enough to frost for me to take precautions.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm in zone 6b/7a and just snipped the last of my kale for dinner the other day. Lots of new fresh growth popping out the top, but I'm doubtful it will make it past winter. I do have it double covered in row cover and tunnel. As far as anything started for the summer, I have some sweet potatoes in water to start some slips. At some point, in the first weeks of February, I will start peppers. Then cabbage and more kale. Then it gets exciting.

I try to fool the effects of winter, sometimes winning, sometimes losing, but I keep trying.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Same here, it went from 60 to 12 degrees in a day. One of our goats got pneumonia and one of our sheep miscarried. Livestock doesn't do well with this sort of temp change.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,798 Posts
I am more conserned with the soil temp (at root depth) than air temp, and my ability to cover them at night. I am looking for 60-65F.
The earliest I ever transfered started plants in the high desert was late Feb.
The earliest I ever planted seeds directly in the soil was mid March.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,244 Posts
It was 26 here yesterday and this morning and getting up to mid-upper 40's but I think we're over the hump now, looking at mid-upper 30's for lows. I'll give the carrot tunnel one more day and then either remove the cover or just keep the ends open all the time.

Time to kraut those three remaining cabbages!

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,494 Posts
In our part of Jawja, we plant on April15, as that is USUALLY after the last frost. I have a peach tree, which as I look out the window this morning, is covered with blooms.

In 10 years, it's actually born fruit all the way to harvest on only 2 occasions. The rest of the time, which will include this year, it gets frozen out after blooming and setting fruit. We're supposed to have 25-28 Monday morning.

I hate when that happens---I blame mis-labeled nursery stock.

I'm taking it out next Spring.

I've cut down a few over the years. Give them several years then they turn into firewood. I hate to do it, but I can then devote the space to something more productive.

I have mayhaws starting to bloom right now, and the blooms seem to be pretty frost and freeze tolerant because they always seem to set a lot of fruit. But we still have the coldest part of winter to go thru here. Either that or we'll have another mild winter which means oodles of stink bugs. Blech.

I have the wood stove going now, but had the a.c. on a few days ago. Crazy weather roller coaster.

·
Registered
244 Posts
we're getting snow for the first time in years. and to top it off. the snow caused some tree branches come down onto a power line. been without power since 5:55,here it is 8:44 now.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Same here, it went from 60 to 12 degrees in a day. One of our goats got pneumonia and one of our sheep miscarried. Livestock doesn't do well with this sort of temp change.
Uggh, just reading my reply from spring...I sure hope we don;t get a repeat of this !!!

So far it has been more cold and more snow than usual. We have had snow on the ground off and on for about 3 weekis now and the animals have been in the barn for 3 days. Usually it melts after a few days but it just doesn't seem to warm up enough. We also don't have enough wood stacked because we are going through it too fast. We could use some warming here

·
Registered
244 Posts
here it is. 7:05am and still no power. but no problem. staying warm. with candles and the stove top

1 - 20 of 22 Posts