Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have we discussed here all the top likely events that could cause a disruption in the most commonly discussed communications alternatives? And possibly from there, contingency methods of communication or general guidelines for that type of emergency.

I believe I've seen EMPs discussed in here, but not so much weather/space events. Have a great weekend, guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Solar flair (event)

There was an "X-class", solar flair (event) earlier this decade. While the plume was not aimed directly at earth, actually was off axis to the earth, the flux generated was sufficient to cause the Canadian electrical grid to fail (trip breakers) over a period of a few days. The electrical grid acts as a long wire antenna. If that particular solar flair had pointed our way, it would surely have made toast of all the satellites. I think all we would have to do for protection is simply disconnect our radios (power and coax). the flux causing the problem in that case caused the aurora to be visible all the way down to my area of west Texas. I assume this is the type event you are referring to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
remember, solar storms effect different bands differently.

A solar storm will slam shut 160-40 meters, but 10 meters and 6 meters might just be triple skippin. :D:

Now there has been long discussions about a large Nuclear war making long range comms shut down for a couple of weeks.

But to be honest the lack of solar activity that we have been living through has to be worse than a bunch of solar activity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts