Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant, "Weapons - BUY now?"

My mind is a wreck, these days.

I would respectfully ask all of you, in the context of a seemingly likely win of the election by Obama: is a weapon purchase NOW rational or does it constitute 'panic buying"?

I know that this has been discussed in other threads but forgive me, as I seem to be somewhat emotionally devastated at the moment, over life events.

There is a Gun and Knife show at the Trade Center this weekend and I am, if it can be justified, seriously contemplating a rifle purchase.

I do not need any more handguns, so no perceived need exists, here.

Can you help a troubled woman out?

THANK YOU. This is a great site and a great group of people.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
To me buying another weapon is never panic buying, it is "adding to my collection" or, in my wifes view, "feeding the addiction".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Staying away from the politics...

I think it makes sense to have a well-rounded stock of tools asap. For me it makes sense to have as a basic foundation:
Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
.22 rifle

Hell, I'll be voting democratic, but I recently purchased a pistol, just to be sure. I was your opposite--I had everything else.

I believe you'll still be able to buy all of those through a Democratic administration, but the fears that some rifles and pistols may be restricted is not unfounded...so whether you need to act now may depend on what you have your eye on.

If finances are tight, maybe one of your pistols could be sacrificed in exchange for a rifle. I wouldn't go into debt or anything to buy a new weapon and a stockpile of ammo.

Then, of course, depending on your level of concern about the government...do you consider buying from a private seller as opposed to a dealer?

For me, I think it's prudent to have a the whole "tool kit" before election day if possible. I'm not too worried about new laws, but I'm pretty freaked about the economy, especially during the time between election and inauguration. That's when many of the troubles in Depression 1.0 were compounded.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I agree with JF just think when a panic happens and people start buying guns at an insane rate when SHTF what is going to happen? if you already have what you need when it happens even extras can be used as good bartering tools or to arm those you love. I try to pick up as I can even if it seems like a craze at the time. but it is never a bad time to think of getting a new one

Also you know if you would like to talk we are always here for you

·
De Oppresso Liber
23 Posts
Take a look at these for starters and see if they interest you:
Savage Arms - (30-06) Centerfire Rifle Model 111FCXP3
or
Any Mossberg 4x4 Bolt-Action Rifle, link here.
or
Colt M4
or if you have the cash... (my favorite)
Springfield Armory SOCOM II

If you are looking for home protection...
I highly recommend the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose - 9 shot
They are hard to get these days since the Military is buying all of them up.
That should tell you something...
Hope this gives you some ideas! Of course, I have no idea as to what purpose you want one for, so I hope I covered all areas of use.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
I meant, "Weapons - BUY now?"

My mind is a wreck, these days.

I would respectfully ask all of you, in the context of a seemingly likely win of the election by Obama: is a weapon purchase NOW rational or does it constitute 'panic buying"?

I know that this has been discussed in other threads but forgive me, as I seem to be somewhat emotionally devastated at the moment, over life events.

There is a Gun and Knife show at the Trade Center this weekend and I am, if it can be justified, seriously contemplating a rifle purchase.

I do not need any more handguns, so no perceived need exists, here.

Can you help a troubled woman out?

THANK YOU. This is a great site and a great group of people.

A good rifle, shotgun, and a .22lr bolt gun are must have's!
I am an 07/02 SOT FFL (I manufacture Title II firearms)and have been in the "gun biz" my entire adult life...
If you have any questions and want hands on unbiased answers send me a pm.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marlin 783 .22 magnum w/tubular magazine...

A good man in another thread had recommended this weapon and...I keep thinking about it.

I do not have a .22 rifle, which seemingly is a 'staple' weapon to possess.

Trying to think...obviously, any anti-gun legislation put forth by Obama is not going to occur overnight, but that many seem to be 'panic buying' at this point in time, has me concerned about availability.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Good utility piece, small game galore, venison with very carefull placement, 2 legged scumbags bound to do bad things to you and yours... Ammo is a little more that other rimfire but is still cheap enough to buy in bulk... Rimfire requires a little more care for long term storage than centerfire but, is easily doable...

·
small "l" libertarian
1,379 Posts
I won't go into detail about politics, but I believe that whether because of new legislation or the perceived possibility of new legislation, demand will increase over the next few months, thus prices will increase. Therefore, if you have a need and can afford it, now is most definitely the time to buy.

One word of caution though: I've been to lots of gun shows, and contrary to the popular opinion about them, they are NOT "chock full of deals". It is possible to find a good deal on a gun at a gun show, but you really need to know what you are looking for, and what prices it is going for outside of the gun show. It would be very easy to find out you paid 10% more for a specific gun than if you had bought it at your local Cabela's. On top of that, is the cost of parking and getting into the gun show.

It is possible to find a good deal, but you need to know exactly what you are looking for, and exactly what you should pay for it.

Also: to know what type of rifle to suggest, I need to know what purpose it is being acquired for. Small game (rabbit, squirrel, coyote, etc) hunting? Big/medium (bear, deer, elk, etc) game hunting? Home defense in today's world? Home defense/self defense after TEOTWAWKI?

·
ThumbinThunder
16 Posts
I would buy a good quality 22LR (Rimfire) over the magnum. Around here the price of the Mag. ammo runs about $12.00-$15.00 for a box of 50 vs. 22LR at $13.96 for a box of 550 at wallyworld. The mag is a little over kill for small game, but would take a deer with careful shot placement. I would check the pawnshops over the gunshows for a 22LR as they're some really good deals there on the rimfires, atleast around my area. I have been stocking 22LR and the price has increased over $8.00 a box (550 count) since Jan. at our local wallyworld. You can protect youself and feed you family with a good quality 22LR, ( Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, Browning)....Just my 2 cents worth...............TT

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
A purchass (OF a EBR, or high cap mags) is NOT rational...

YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY DONE IT.

-If it's a 'PC firearm' ... then yes, it's pannic buying.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I would not rush out and buy anything rimfire unless that's what you ultimately want anyway.
You mentioned you were career military in another thread so if you are interested in something more along the lines of what you trained with and want one by all means get it now.
The rimfire jobs will be around a while yet.
The Evil Black Rifle(EBR)...you know, the nemesis of tyranny is what will go first.
That and a good supply of magazines and ammo.

Reactions: test

·
Poseur
221 Posts
Well, weapon availability is a concern yes, but also think about the recession. Just google "Crime and recession" and then decide whether it might be a good idea to have a weapon at hand.

Edit: oh yeah, Wal-Mart has a 100 pack of winchester shells for $21.97. Could have a nice start fairly cheaply. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the one near me carries the home defense shotguns anymore, might have to make 2 trips.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I won't go into detail about politics, but I believe that whether because of new legislation or the perceived possibility of new legislation, demand will increase over the next few months, thus prices will increase. Therefore, if you have a need and can afford it, now is most definitely the time to buy.

One word of caution though: I've been to lots of gun shows, and contrary to the popular opinion about them, they are NOT "chock full of deals". It is possible to find a good deal on a gun at a gun show, but you really need to know what you are looking for, and what prices it is going for outside of the gun show. It would be very easy to find out you paid 10% more for a specific gun than if you had bought it at your local Cabela's. On top of that, is the cost of parking and getting into the gun show.

It is possible to find a good deal, but you need to know exactly what you are looking for, and exactly what you should pay for it.

Also: to know what type of rifle to suggest, I need to know what purpose it is being acquired for. Small game (rabbit, squirrel, coyote, etc) hunting? Big/medium (bear, deer, elk, etc) game hunting? Home defense in today's world? Home defense/self defense after TEOTWAWKI?
I own a .44 magnum Super Blackhawk and a S&W Model 19-3 in .357 magnum, as well as an 870 12 gauge. Accordingly, I am well-fit for defense.

Your point about not necessarily finding a good deal at a gun show is well-taken and must be considered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As far as 22s go... I agree with the .22LR over the Magnum. Slightly less powerful, but cheaper and more diverse in terms of what shoots it.

On the other hand...learning about what handguns you have makes me think that you might want to consider a rifle that shoots a pistol caliber. I'm not sure what all is available, but I know that there are very nice lever action rifles in both .44 and .357.

I personally have a Henry lever action in .357 and its a solid piece of equipment with outstanding accuracy. Plenty big for two-legged issues and for humane shots on mid-sized deer and below. Holds 11 rounds with one chambered, so if you need to drop something that is going to take multiple shots, you can do it. A little practice with the lever and it becomes quite enjoyable.

Downside is that it's not a very fast reloader. Upside is that it shoots .38 special as well, so one can stockpile cheaper ammo that is real gentle for plinking and smaller game.

I'm just thinking if you're already stockpiling .357 and .44, it could really be worth your time to look into what's available in a pistol caliber rifle.

You mentioned Marlin---I know they make good quality, affordable versions in both sizes.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
We have a magazine that comes out weekly called "tell -n - sell". It covers pretty much everything a person could need (new and used) I buy out of it from private owners. Don't leave a paper trail just in case. Extra weapons can be oiled down good wrapped in large garbage bags and hidden accordingly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is a resonable level of fear of new legislation that could restrict ownership of some weaponry and magazines with any new president. It can happen just as easily with a Democratic or Republican president. Remember, they are all politicians and are likely to fold under pressure to keep their approval ratings up. With the current state of the economy and Iraqi, I feel the new president will be engrossed in these matters more than gun control measures. Sure, they may introduce some new laws, but I feel it won't be very aggresive for a least the first year, and easily shot down in Congress. Gun control is one of those touchy subjects that can bring a lot of heat on politicians very quickly. A new president probably will try to avoid this until his feet are warm in his new home.

To be on the safe side I have been stocking up on items that would be restricted, but I am not putting myself in debt over it. My purchases are well thought out in advance. For the rest of the year I am only focusing on magazines, which I already have enough of, but a few more will never hurt. Next year I'll look towards getting another one of the "evil rifles" before the next president gets to comfy in his new home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts