Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice, which would it be? We all know the advantages and disadvantages of weapon lights. That was is an earlier post I did.

Now with a laser sight, granted it is not going to light up the area and room, but what about the physiological effect of the laser pointed on their chest or head?

Given these two options, which would you pick?

Gunner
“Springfield XD 40 when "perfection" just is not enough..!”

·
Semper Gumby
158 Posts
A laser is hard to see so if its pointed at my chest or head I may not notice it. A light lights up everything and I would think that would have a much better effect on a person.
Rich

·
Registered
212 Posts
I run both on my shotgun. Since my use is for home defense at short distances, I did not need an expensive laser that can hit an apple at 100 yards. I picked-up a $40 green laser with a pressure pad. Surprising the cheap green lasers produce a lot of ambient light when it shines on a wall or object. It is similar to the light produced by an old army flashlight with the red lens. I still prefer to have both options...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Light.

I want to blind the guy so he can't see anything, laser or otherwise. Take his eyes out of the fight. Besides, you need to see him, too.

Lasers are secondary, if at all.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
lights dont need zeroing

Reactions: MRBIG85

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If you had a choice, which would it be? We all know the advantages and disadvantages of weapon lights. That was is an earlier post I did.

Now with a laser sight, granted it is not going to light up the area and room, but what about the physiological effect of the laser pointed on their chest or head?

Given these two options, which would you pick?

Gunner
I did a survey of 1000 officers using lasers and of 100 inmates for a psych course I took. the demoralizing effects of that little dot of light are astounding. in over 90 % of the situations where they were used and the perps were not under the influence of controlled substances, the instant they became aware that they were targeted with a laser sight their will to resist literally crumbled. the remaining 10% were either intent on never being taken alive or totally unaware of being targeted, the majority of these individuals were fatally wounded and not available for comment. Some escaped, the balance survived the OIS. Of the inmates I was able to talk to there were two trains of thought, the minor being "they will shoot you no matter what". But the overwelming statement was " once that dot is on you they dont care, they got you no matter what you do, they dont even have to look at their piece".
We have all heard of pain compliance, well the laser sight adds emotional pain compliance. The inmates are correct, you can quite literally keep your sights on a perp with just your peripheral vision with laser sights, allowing you to continue looking for other perps. But there is another point that is seldom thought of. The ability to temporarily blind a perp with a weapon mounted light is often pointed out as a reason for the light, BUT the intensity of a laser is far beyond that of a tac light. Played across the eyes it is extremely blinding, can be done from a distance and at some rather steep angles. Now this CAN be dangerous, especially if using one of the cheaper green lasers as the high levels of UV they are known for can damge the eye, so this tactic is not recommended... I only mention it for purely scientific pervue...

·
Registered
428 Posts
just a thought to remember when buying either a laser or light, make sure to have it connected to a pressure on/off switch. if you have your light or laser on constantly the bad guys can damn sure see where you are well ahead of you seeing them. plus being able to flash a light can be disorienting to the guy robbing your house.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a laser sight mounted on my XD, I was trained to use my SureFire with my other hand.

Both I can turn on full time, or momentary if I wish. I have had a laser on my other pistols including my duty weapon for years.

Remember, when you have a weapon light on all the time, you become a target, a well lit target… That was beat into our heads…

Gunner

Reactions: test

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice photos everyone...!

·
Registered
582 Posts
They are for different purpases, so you might as well have both. That way you can lite up the commie and have good shot placement.

·
Transplant
355 Posts
I've got a streamlight TLR-2 on my main pistol. I have the option of Light, Light/Laser, or just Laser. It has a picatinny mount, and it's decently compact. At 80-ish lumens it works well for indoors. It has momentary on/off, and full on.

I have no personal use for a laser on my rifle. I'm already set up with a shurefire, BUIS, and a 1x 30mm sight as it is. As far as psychological intimidation factore, I don't think I care if they were to see a laser or not. Light don't hurt me, a few bullets will. Be wary of the gun, not the accesories.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Better to have them and not need them, that not have them and need them. That said it is equally important to know when it is appropriate to employ them and when it is not.
Peter

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a laser ON the XD... I carry SureFire lights on me...

Gunner
“Springfield XD 40 when "So called perfection" just is not enough..!”

1 - 20 of 32 Posts