Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Low speed , High drag
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lab in San Diego is taking significant steps toward developing a vaccine for the coronavirus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, a company that's headquartered in Pennsylvania but has a lab in Sorrento Valley, is developing a vaccine that could fight COVID-19, the epidemic that has taken more than 1,300 lives worldwide, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

FOX 5 first spoke with the company about progress on the drug's development last month.

At the time, the company said the drug was in pre-clinical testing and was expected to be ready for human testing by the summer.
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/san-diego-company-claims-to-create-coronavirus-vaccine/

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
What's to be skeptical over. COVID-19 is just like any other flu virus, except that it reared it's ugly head after flu season had started and wasn't part of the flu vacine. Yes, it has a harder shell which makes it more contagious and it's got a higher fatlity rate, but I think it's a sign of the times that the viruses are getting tougher and more efficient..

This season in the U.S. alone CDC estimates 9.7 million cases with 14,000 deaths, with children being hit harder than normal. 14 children died this week alone. The estimates are double that by the end of season.

Reactions: jchavasu

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
`

I could see them developing a vaccine, but not a cure. Even at that, at best it would be months before there is one available for the general public.

That's exactly right, the article itself called it a vaccine and final testing will be done this summer, hopefully in time to be added to the flu vaccine. I just ignored it since a lot of people on SB overstate their thread titles.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
What's to be skeptical over. COVID-19 is just like any other flu virus,
You do realize that you have to get a new flu vaccine every year and that its only marginally effective right?

Also...its less like the flu....and more like the common cold. Which mutates so fast its not even worth it to make a vaccine.

By this summer, any vaccine made now, will likely be totally irrelevant to whatever the actual strain is at that time.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You do realize that you have to get a new flu vaccine every year and that its only marginally effective right?

Also...its less like the flu....and more like the common cold. Which mutates so fast its not even worth it to make a vaccine.

By this summer, any vaccine made now, will likely be totally irrelevant to whatever the actual strain is at that time.
I get it. But I'm just saying that all it took was the dna sequencing and they entered it into their computer models and within 5 days were producing the vaccine for testing just like any other flu strain.

Reactions: DG23

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I get it. But I'm just saying that all it took was the dna sequencing and they entered it into their computer models and within 5 days were producing the vaccine for testing just like any other flu strain.
Sure...but that's not a good thing. The flu has been kicking our butts for centuries and we don't seem any better at stopping it now than we used to.

If Corona is exactly like the flu in terms of vaccines it will still lead to a yearly flu season that kills a million people every year in this country....on a good year.

A long long way from a cure.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Sure...but that's not a good thing. The flu has been kicking our butts for centuries and we don't seem any better at stopping it now than we used to.

If Corona is exactly like the flu in terms of vaccines it will still lead to a yearly flu season that kills a million people every year in this country....on a good year.

A long long way from a cure.

I was never going off that it was a cure. In fact, my main point for posting my first post was putting out the numbers of flu deaths in the U.S. this year alone. What part of 14 children died of flu in the U.S. this week alone, did you think I was saying that the flu is nothing to worry about?

·
?
2,211 Posts
What's to be skeptical over. COVID-19 is just like any other flu virus...

COVID-19 is a flu virus? :xeye: Where in the world did you come up with that? It's a coronavirus which is an entirely different viral classification from influenza.

There is no effective vaccine for any other human coronavirus. Do you think researchers haven't been working on SARS since 2002? Or MERS since 2012? Both of which are coronaviruses.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
<unsubscribed> The flu is bad, the coronavirus is bad. But unless you scream 'Oh no we're all gonna die from the coronavirus (COVID-19),". people online attack you. Yet don't take into count that over a thousand people are dying from the flu each week in the U.S. this flu season.

Yes I know that COIVD-19 is different. But you all want to read into everything I said and attack me. Because I'm trying to put perspective into this all. Just like any other virus, like the flu, etc./ They simply needed the DNA sequencing and they were able to model and produce a vaccine for testing within 5 days.

And yes it's bad, but so is this flu season. Geez. I got attacked for downplaying the flu and yet my first post was trying to say how bad it is this season, before coronavirus even got to the U.S..

<unsubscribed>

·
Registered
34,642 Posts
<unsubscribed> The flu is bad, the coronavirus is bad. But unless you scream 'Oh no we're all gonna die from the coronavirus (COVID-19),". people online attack you. Yet don't take into count that over a thousand people are dying from the flu each week in the U.S. this flu season.

Yes I know that COIVD-19 is different. But you all want to read into everything I said and attack me. Because I'm trying to put perspective into this all. Just like any other virus, like the flu, etc./ They simply needed the DNA sequencing and they were able to model and produce a vaccine for testing within 5 days.

And yes it's bad, but so is this flu season. Geez. I got attacked for downplaying the flu and yet my first post was trying to say how bad it is this season, before coronavirus even got to the U.S..

<unsubscribed>
You didn't read the link I posted (obviously) :rolleyes:

·
That'll be the day...
3,746 Posts
Yeah... and we have a cure for the common cold.... another cornavirus. And we have a vaccine for season flu that is above 30% effective......

Its only been what.... 50, 70, 150 years for Pharma get those taken care of.....???? ....and still a Goose-egg.

The only way, there is a cure or vaccine for COVID, is if it was a biological weapon.

·
reluctant sinner
17,452 Posts
What's the best way to poison people - make them want to take it.

What's the best way to get people to carry a tracking unit that can record video, audio, and location. Plus you can't take out the battery to turn it off - make it fashionable and they will even pay $1200 to buy it.

There is no money in cures unless it causes something else.

·
Grevcon 10
13,358 Posts
You can propose a vaccine idea no problem. There's over a 99.9% chance that vaccine idea will not work. Almost all vaccines fail to work. It is extremely rare that they ever accomplish what you want. They don't have a vaccine. They have a guess that they haven't even checked to see if it's correct or not.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Let's play "Let's Pretend" for a moment....

Let's pretend that some lab somehow comes up with a vaccine in the next few months and somehow short circuits the whole testing procedures and FDA approval and everything....

Mommy dearest in downtown LA will jump up and down about how it is a big pharma conspiracy, make her kids autistic, poison them with mercury ad nauseum...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

Let's pretend that some lab somehow comes up with a vaccine in the next few months and somehow short circuits the whole testing procedures and FDA approval and everything....

Mommy dearest in downtown LA will jump up and down about how it is a big pharma conspiracy, make her kids autistic, poison them with mercury ad nauseum...

Before you even posted:
What's the best way to poison people - make them want to take it.

What's the best way to get people to carry a tracking unit that can record video, audio, and location. Plus you can't take out the battery to turn it off - make it fashionable and they will even pay $1200 to buy it.

There is no money in cures unless it causes something else.

·
?
2,211 Posts

Not the place for a post like this. There are those of us who are following COVID-19 who also have vaccine injured loved ones.

I think there's a thread in another section for you to bash people about vaccines. And even when you go there, please expand your thinking beyond an anti-vaxx/pro-vaxx mindset. There are those of us who see the great benefits of vaccines but who are horrified by the lack of safety studies of giving multiples at once, ever increasing redundant boosters, lack of screening for at risk kids etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts