Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more religious nutjobs who justify anything in their own minds by believing "god" told them to do it. It's stupid at best, and dangerous at worst.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
And just when DID we have a president who "gets orders from god"?

classic set up a straw man to knock down, looks to me that is what you are doing.

You will find I am atheist as they come but i am disgusted by people who think they have to track down every tinge of Christianity in our elected officials and try to stamp it out like it was malaria germs.

That says way more about the militant anti christians than it does about the christians. try to work out your problems in a non public arena.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,299 Posts
Who are you to tell the rest of us what "we" need or don't need?

The Constitution states in the 1st Amendment "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

That means Congress can not tell you what religion to be or not be, and can not stop you from being active in any religion. It does not mean that there should be no religions in our government, it means there should be no government in our religions. You are free to choose what you want to do as far as your personal religious beliefs, but so is everybody else including our elected officials.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thousands of US soldiers have been killed or maimed. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians have been killed or maimed. All because George Bush believes god told him to do it, and Sarah Palin believes it.

If you want to believe in fairy tales, that's your right. But when your fairy tales kill people, that's not acceptable.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Tell it to these guys...

John Adams:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!

Benjamin Franklin:
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787

Alexander Hamilton:
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

John Hancock:
“In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, …at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness…

Patrick Henry:
"This is all the inheritance I can give my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.”

John Jay:
“ Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Thomas Jefferson:
“ The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.”
“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”
"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

James Madison
“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”

Thomas Paine:
“ The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself..."

George Washington:
“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
HHmmm God told them to do these things,I think they have God confused with satan.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Tell it to these guys...

John Adams:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!

Benjamin Franklin:
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787

Alexander Hamilton:
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

John Hancock:
“In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, …at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness…

Patrick Henry:
"This is all the inheritance I can give my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.”

John Jay:
“ Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Thomas Jefferson:
“ The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.”
“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”
"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

James Madison
“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”

Thomas Paine:
“ The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself..."

George Washington:
“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

Please identify for us which of those has anything to do with taking ORDERS from god?

Our original poster bless his black little heart implies that people in high office have been hallucinating direct orders barked out to them by god, and that they then obey them.

·
Trainer
155 Posts
First of all your reference does NOT directly quote Bush. It simply quotes someone who is taking his statement out of context.

Beside that I would rather have leaders who believe in the council of God, rather than one who believes He Is God.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts