Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the first U.S. Subaru ad. It claims up to 66mpg and doesn't require expensive computers and battery packs. We are being sold a bill of goods and need to wake up. We need to follow basic physics, small power plant, light weight and no power robbing accessories. I bet that we could even all work on this thing and keep it going forever.

If the government would get out of the way the people could innovate our way out of just about anything. Who knows, with simple electronic fuel injection it might get up to 75 mpg.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If gas becomes scarce it beats walking.Momentum equals mass times velocity squared, so if everybody else is walking or on mopeds it might be the safest thing moving.

Yes it's not a big block Chevelle like I learned to drive on, but might beat walking if SHTF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't really want to nitpick, but...

Momentum equals mass times velocity.

F = d/dt (m*v)

And 'keeping this thing going forever' would require an external fuel source... not sure if that's what you meant. That said, yes, smaller cars are better cars.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
just get a geo metro, it's light years ahead of that smoke belching saab

·
Registered
671 Posts
Its about time Subaroo came out with something simple and cheap. I also like the 'retro' style commercial. It reminds me of the commercials they had when I was a kid.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I like the idea of that little car made in India. Sells there for a little over $2000.
A little 650'ish cc motor, lightweight. I can't remember the name, but I'll Google it later,
A neat commuter and grocery-getter. Something like 36 horsepower. (my bike is rated at 96 hp, and can get over 40 mpg) Hang on..

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2008/01/indias_new_car.html

I'd buy one.
You can bet your bicycle that the 'big three' would fight the importation of that little car to the death.
Also, by the time all of our Fed government's requirements/regulations were added to it, it would cost $15,000!
Politicians would bend over (again), to all the contributers (auto makers, unions, tree huggers, lawyers), and drive the cost through the roof. We really need the American people to take this country back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
what this country needs...

is to realize that most people don't NEED a chevy tahoe, dont need a silverado 2500 crew cab with all the goodies.

If everyone simply realized that it would be infinitely cheaper to use these cars than a large truck, then everyone SHOULD. Just rent a truck the day ou need to get a fridge from HD or Lowes.

I'm not big on bigg gubment. But this is one time where the bigg badass Fed Jackboot needs to come down and put the kabosh on retarded wastefulness.

Even trucks, most people could do with an old Nissan Hardbody and a topper, you know? Or even a Chevy Colorado with a topper.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
yeah johns right. real safe, one of the biggest weight adders to modern vehicles is all the life saving devices on them. They are air bags seat belts better seats steal roll cages around ourselves ac sound deadening material even the speakers are bigger and heavier. Cant even compare that vehicle with anything we have today its more dangerous slower and hot in the summer

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I like the idea of that little car made in India. Sells there for a little over $2000.
A little 650'ish cc motor, lightweight. I can't remember the name, but I'll Google it later,
A neat commuter and grocery-getter. Something like 36 horsepower. (my bike is rated at 96 hp, and can get over 40 mpg) Hang on..

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2008/01/indias_new_car.html

I'd buy one.
You can bet your bicycle that the 'big three' would fight the importation of that little car to the death.
Also, by the time all of our Fed government's requirements/regulations were added to it, it would cost $15,000!
Politicians would bend over (again), to all the contributers (auto makers, unions, tree huggers, lawyers), and drive the cost through the roof. We really need the American people to take this country back.
It's called a tata nano and most of the fat red state type of GOP basers couldn't fit inside it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
just get a geo metro, it's light years ahead of that smoke belching saab
Holy crap! I have to agree with FXjohn for once. I had a metro from the early nineties when I lived in Denver for my run around car. 40+ mpg in town, air bags, and suprisingly good ride. The little 3 cyl suzuki engine was still running strong when I sold it with over 150,000 miles on it. Plus they were cheap. Way better cost per mpg savings versus the prius era "green" cars we get today.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't really want to nitpick, but...

Momentum equals mass times velocity.

F = d/dt (m*v)

And 'keeping this thing going forever' would require an external fuel source... not sure if that's what you meant. That said, yes, smaller cars are better cars.
Thanks for fixing the glitch in my formula. As for keeping the thing running forever I was alluding to it's Fred Flinstone simplicity and how a common man with simple tools could service it. I realize that it would never pull a four horse trailer and would be equal to motorcycles in crash protection but the premise of my post was that this would be useful in a post SHTF world where gas might be 10 dollars a gallon or more. We have been sold a bill of goods about hybrids being the only answer. Geo's and Sprint 3 cylinder cars can get 50mpg and I've driven them.
Who needs 4000 dollar battery packs made out of unobtanium? Anyway, they may not be for everybody but might be a welcome alternative to walking 20 miles at a shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts