Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are simply investing in things that we believe will go up in price.

I can buy a can of tinned fruit for 20p. At minimum wage of £6, I can work for 1 hour and buy 30 of these cans, meaning 1 can costs 2 minutes of work. If SHTF, a can of tinned fruit will be worth a huge amount of money.. maybe you will be able to buy 1 single can if you work for 6 hours straight, meaning 1 can costs 360 minutes work, meaning the "price" of the can has increased by 180x, which is a mega-return on your investment.

Obviously our priority is survival, survival, survival.. but I tend to think of it in this way, too. I believe that food is never going to be cheaper than it is now, meaning no matter how much you "invest" in it, you will never lose. The same goes for all other survivalist items.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Yea, I like it! I'm not prepper or survivalist, I'm an "Investor" in my future! Works for me!

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
there were times in S. America where people we getting paid twice a day..both pay for work and to vendors because inflation was so rampant that the same invoice would be 17% higher the next day.

I do see much of my preps as investment in that right now the costs are soaring on some items.

You're counting in E so you would have missed our little supply problem just back when our president was elected. folks ran to the gun stores and purchased anything that even looked like a bullet. the result was ammo running for double or more and that was IF you could even find any.
Same with the guns themselves. An AR style rifle backlogged shipment for over a year and they were charging double!
I saw that one coming and made sure I had my "investment" well in hand before the storm hit.

food is the biggest investment area - because it is an item that we simply must have...we know we are going to consume a certain amount each year. So buying on sale, and in anticipation of price increase..just made sense to me. I also did it because I knew what it could be like if there simply wasn't food available to purchase at any price. I have to say even I have been a bit surprised to see some price items now more than triple what I paid less than a year ago.
Makes me wish I had bought even more. Of course I'll continue to stock up even at higher prices..when i find any thing that looks like a sale..as I expect that these current high prices will likley look good 6 months from now.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Will go up?

They've been going up for years.
In just the last year wheat, corn, rice have gone up at least 25%.

Huge crop failures in Australia, Russia, China and the USA last year and this year isn't looking good either.

·
Registered
695 Posts
this is why I store food. I know prices have gone up and WILL go up even more, its a certainty. Even if the food in the stores remains stable, always available, the price of it will not, it is going to soar to the place where many will not be able to buy it.
look at Haiti. the earthquake happened, the next day rice tripled in price. now haitians are starving to death. it isnt in the news but they are literally starving to death. we will see that here, eventually.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will go up?

They've been going up for years.
In just the last year wheat, corn, rice have gone up at least 25%.

Huge crop failures in Australia, Russia, China and the USA last year and this year isn't looking good either.
Prices themselves don't matter, what matters is the price relative to the average income. I used a measurement of "how many hours do I have to work to buy 1 unit of food?" because that is as absolute an indicator of "price" that we can get. I think in the times we are in now (or have been in recently), food is - in terms of working for each unit of food - the cheapest it will ever be, in the entire history of humankind. And with increasing populations combined with decreasing land and resources, and the threat of man-made disasters such as riots etc, I think the price can only go up, by huge amounts, which is why it's such an amazing investment that not many people think of.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have said this many times here. "prepping" means preparing for everything. Good times and bad. I invest in my future in things like food, water and protection. I also invest in things like a nice retirement. using the term "investor" is a great way to look at it.

tag

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

I can buy a can of tinned fruit for 20p. At minimum wage of £6, I can work for 1 hour and buy 30 of these cans, meaning 1 can costs 2 minutes of work. If SHTF, a can of tinned fruit will be worth a huge amount of money.. maybe you will be able to buy 1 single can if you work for 6 hours straight, meaning 1 can costs 360 minutes work, meaning the "price" of the can has increased by 180x, which is a mega-return on your investment.

Obviously our priority is survival, survival, survival.. but I tend to think of it in this way, too. I believe that food is never going to be cheaper than it is now, meaning no matter how much you "invest" in it, you will never lose. The same goes for all other survivalist items.

Very well thought out post and another great argument to introduce people to the benefits of prepping....

I am slightly surprised this rationale came from the same anti-spice guy. :D: :thumb:

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Its actualy funny to have friends complain about prices of foods now. Had a friend who wanted to have me help him with his Long term food plan. When we sat down to talk about it again (which we had ) just under a year ago but he lost interest. He did not like the price increase. I just kinda told him how much he could of saved if he just bought last year he was upset and ask me why I didnt help him sooner. With that I laughted and told him what did you want me to do hold your hand and pay for it myself? Well hes doing pretty good now but I can tell he still acts kinda like its my fault it went up. Ya like thats the problem. And I wont even start to talk to him about gold and silver again. He already knows when I suggested it to him it was around 9.00 and once and 785.00 for gold. So im not gona rub it in he can just do that for himself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts