Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
A nuclear accident at ANY one of our reactor plants is inevitable. Some are on fault lines as bad as Fukushima, some are prone to floods and other natural disasters, and all are nice big targets for a crazed but well armed terrorist.

And, who knows how many other plants have similar safety issues such as Watts Bar. Most of them are aging, and ALL things break down eventually.

It's only a matter of time before something happens to one of the nuclear plants, and then the safety of many will be compromised.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Some sit on fault lines near(very near) large ammo storage areas.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
This is the report for Watts bar.
The CBS story is sensationalism at its worst, if not some out right lies.
http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1113/ML111330435.pdf

They quote the NRC inspection report repeatedly, yet no mention of those "quotes" can be found in the actual NRC inspection report they reference. Read it and see for yourself.

Here is where you find the plant near you for TI 2515/183 Titled "Follow-up to Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Station Fuel Damage Event"
Click on the ADAMS number for your particular plant.
http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/OVERSIGHT/ASSESS/follow-up-rpts.html

I know it would be a miracle, but just maybe, someone would consider researching the story rather than trusting to talking heads with an agenda.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I'm sure the apologists already have their excuses lined up. When we get our own little Chernobyl or Fukushima, they will be blaming it on anti-nuke environmentalists. "Greenpeace has been RUNNING policy for the past couple decades! If ONLY they would only have let us build more reactors..."

You heard it here first.

A nuclear accident at ANY one of our reactor plants is inevitable. Some are on fault lines as bad as Fukushima, some are prone to floods and other natural disasters, and all are nice big targets for a crazed but well armed terrorist.

And, who knows how many other plants have similar safety issues such as Watts Bar. Most of them are aging, and ALL things break down eventually.

It's only a matter of time before something happens to one of the nuclear plants, and then the safety of many will be compromised.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the report for Watts bar.
The CBS story is sensationalism at its worst, if not some out right lies.
http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1113/ML111330435.pdf

They quote the NRC inspection report repeatedly, yet no mention of those "quotes" can be found in the actual NRC inspection report they reference. Read it and see for yourself.

Here is where you find the plant near you for TI 2515/183 Titled "Follow-up to Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Station Fuel Damage Event"
Click on the ADAMS number for your particular plant.
http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/OVERSIGHT/ASSESS/follow-up-rpts.html

I know it would be a miracle, but just maybe, someone would consider researching the story rather than trusting to talking heads with an agenda.
Perhaps it would have been a miracle for you to have read the OP and saw that the link you provided was included in the OP before you included it in YOUR post.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Of course, you work in that business, so, everything is fine, just as it was at Fukushima prior to the tsunami which later revealed a lot of problems existing prior to the accident. Perhaps we will see you on the news one of these days defending previous mistakes after we have had an accident at one of our nuclear power plants. Sorry, as I value my life, I tend to believe nuclear experts over your opinion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/19/earlyshow/main20080633.shtml

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The entire article was posted by me because cwi555 refuted the claims and suggested that the article and report did not say what I (or anyone else, apparently) thought it said. Some people who disagree with a post will do or say anything to discredit the post and the poster to try to keep others from reading the post. Apparently, cwi555 considers himself the ultimate authority on this topic and thinks that his viewpoint is the only one which should be expressed.

I happen to believe that the nuclear industry is not as safe as the government, NRC, and nuclear plant employees who are afraid of losing their jobs through either whistleblowing, or, those in management who want to stop whistleblowers because they are afraid the plant might shut down (They would then lose their jobs, which pay fairly well, I understand.) would have us believe.

The public has the right to full disclosure of information about safety issues which may negatively affect the public. Furthermore, people reading these boards have the right to full access to information without it being discredited. Each person must choose whether to believe and act upon any information they read about any topic, not just preparedness for a a nuclear disaster. Withholding information is a disservice to the entire public. The purpose of this forum is education.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course, you work in that business, so, everything is fine, just as it was at Fukushima prior to the tsunami which later revealed a lot of problems existing prior to the accident. Perhaps we will see you on the news one of these days defending previous mistakes after we have had an accident at one of our nuclear power plants. Sorry, as I value my life, I tend to believe nuclear experts over your opinion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/19/earlyshow/main20080633.shtml
Thanks for link :thumb:

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
The entire article was posted by me because cwi555 refuted the claims and suggested that the article and report did not say what I (or anyone else, apparently) thought it said. Some people who disagree with a post will do or say anything to discredit the post and the poster to try to keep others from reading the post. Apparently, cwi555 considers himself the ultimate authority on this topic and thinks that his viewpoint is the only one which should be expressed.

I happen to believe that the nuclear industry is not as safe as the government, NRC, and nuclear plant employees who are afraid of losing their jobs through either whistleblowing, or, those in management who want to stop whistleblowers because they are afraid the plant might shut down (They would then lose their jobs, which pay fairly well, I understand.) would have us believe.

The public has the right to full disclosure of information about safety issues which may negatively affect the public. Furthermore, people reading these boards have the right to full access to information without it being discredited. Each person must choose whether to believe and act upon any information they read about any topic, not just preparedness for a a nuclear disaster. Withholding information is a disservice to the entire public. The purpose of this forum is education.
How long have you worked in or around the nuclear industry to have come to your conclusions or is it just the articles that determine your opinions?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How long have you worked in or around the nuclear industry to have come to your conclusions or is it just the articles that determine your opinions?
Since when are only nuclear plant workers allowed to have an opinion about the safety of nuclear plants? Why would anyone think that only those people have knowledge of nuclear issues? Why would anyone trust the safety of nuclear plants and trust what our government tells us about them after seeing Chernobyl and Fukushima and the cover-ups involved? Why would anyone trust aging nuclear plants in this country after seeing all the minor problems and minor accidents at nuclear facilities, not to mention the threats of natural disaster to the plants such as tornadoes, flooding and wildfires?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From Budget Cuts to Dirty Bombs

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/opinion/23Luongo-Brill.html?hp

Here is another one for you. I suppose you would like to keep this information suppressed as well.

I am not opposed to nuclear energy. I just do not believe nuclear plants are as safe as they should be. I think the public has become too complacent and those living near nuclear facilities are unprepared and, thus, will be negatively affected in the event of an accident or terrorist attack.

Tell me, why would you be on a survivalist forum and prepare for all possible SHTF scenarios except NBC?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, my opinions are not formed by articles. Articles are only used to point out issues and to support posts. I do have an education.

What about you? Are your opinions formed by your work environment, co-workers, family, friends? Are you open to other ideas, or, are you closed to all but your own views and those concurring with them?

If you could show me 100% proof that nuclear facilities are 100% safe to the public, I would be very happy and relieved. If you could show me 100% proof that the US is safe from terrorists, I would be even happier and more relieved. However, as we both know, you cannot do so.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
No, my opinions are not formed by articles. Articles are only used to point out issues and to support posts. I do have an education.
I'm sure your education includes nuclear engineering as well. I asked the question to see where you're coming from. If you have information other than what's reported in the media both factual and sensationalistic.

What about you? Are your opinions formed by your work environment, co-workers, family, friends?
Both that and my education and work history which included nuclear power although I no longer work in that field.
Are you open to other ideas, or, are you closed to all but your own views and those concurring with them?
Of course, but I have a dose of reality to counter the fear mongering presented by the anti nuclear groups.

If you could show me 100% proof that nuclear facilities are 100% safe to the public, I would be very happy and relieved. If you could show me 100% proof that the US is safe from terrorists, I would be even happier and more relieved. However, as we both know, you cannot do so.
I suppose you don't fly, drive, cross the street, eat anything you did not prepare yourself or have a taster test for poison, run with scissors, allow sunlight to touch your skin...I could go on and on. Nothing is ever 100% safe.

This statement

KittyCat109 said:
Where is your information coming from? What sources are you using to form your opinions? I asked if you had first hand experience or were getting your information from news stories. Please let me know what other than this you have.

KittyCat109 said:
Since when are only nuclear plant workers allowed to have an opinion about the safety of nuclear plants? Why would anyone think that only those people have knowledge of nuclear issues?
If your information comes from articles written by others, it is inherently biased. You see the information in the format they have chosen.

KittyCat109 said:
I live less than 10 miles from an operating nuclear facility. I have the preps I need in the event of an emergency, however It's low on my list of things to worry about. I know several at this facility and many more friends working in numerous plants around the country. None of them have expressed any concerns about plant safety or the consequences of whistle blowing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,775209,00.html

Interesting what the nuclear engineer who was the quality manager for the Watts Bar reactor project has to say about safety and corrections of the problems.

BTW, we really know that The Army Corps of Engineers really repaired the New Orleans levees as they should have been, don't we? Do you feel safe enough to travel to New Orleans the next time a Category 5 or greater hurricane is predicted there?

There are numerous inadequately constructed public structures and utilites around the country which are just accidents waiting to happen.

Oh, remember Nashville's big flood? You don't see much on the news about another potential threat to Nashville if Wolf Creek Dam and Center Hill Dam fail.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See quotes from nuclear experts, including the former quality manager during the construction of the Watts Bar reactor.

How do you call presenting information fear-mongering? Why should people not be prepared for all emergencies? I never said a nuclear accident was imminent. However, it is best to prepare as if one is imminent, just as for all other emergencies.

I never said I had a degree in a nuclear field.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts