Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Step 1 - Gather Materials
First, gather a few materials from around the house. 1. Dryer lint 2. An empty egg carton 3. Old Candle Stubs (or in my case, a box of canning wax - $3*) 4. Dental floss 5. Scissors 6. New Belgium beer (not required, but hey, that's how it happened) *Available at your local hardware store

Step 2 - Cut the Wax
Whether using old candle stubs or bars of canning wax, cut them into small strips/chunks so they can be more easily melted.

Seven more steps at:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Waterproof-Dryer-Lint-Fire-Starter/

·
Registered
310 Posts
There really needs to be a comprehensive firestarter sticky so that people won't keep rehashing ideas in new threads.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Personally, I have never had any luck using dryer lint as a fire starter, with or without wax. I think it depends on what kinds of clothes (fabrics) you dry.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I only use dryer lint from cotton cloths, but its lights good by its self and a small ziploc bag is very light and small.
BIG T

·
Registered
173 Posts
dryer lint from our dryer easily takes a spark from a fire steel. Not sure how it would take one when covered in wax, but it is worth a try!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Personally, I have never had any luck using dryer lint as a fire starter, with or without wax. I think it depends on what kinds of clothes (fabrics) you dry.
Try it from a Jeans only dryer load and those will spark fast. Manmade matierals can be harder to light. Polyester, nylon etc. But cotton takes a good spark.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
dryer lint from our dryer easily takes a spark from a fire steel. Not sure how it would take one when covered in wax, but it is worth a try!
The wax preforms two functions: Keeps the tinder dry and creates a longer burn time. You break apart the wax to expose the lint, then light it with a spark! :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya I use to do this when I was in the Boy Scouts. It really works and quite well. I don't remember putting beer in it though.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
the thing about that tinder is.. yes its water proof but you need an open flame to light it...

if it was lint and vasaline inside mixed in a bit.. it would work well... wax is good for getting a fire going if its small just throw an old candle into the fire and watch it pick up..

·
Registered
90 Posts
My sons scout troop makes these by the bucket full. If you dont have an open flame just squirt a little hand sanitizer on them and throw some sparks at it with your steel. They work well.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
1. My kid chews Skoal, I keep an empty can of lint in my preps, jeans and cotton socks work best.

2. In the Boy Scouts we used to roll up cardboard and stuff it in a tuna can then fill it with melted wax. Those made awesome fire starters.

3. Hand sanitizer works great. I keep some of the gel soaked towels in my preps too. They burn for 5-6 minutes.

In my wife's GHB I have a fire starter kit.

I put 2 one gallon zip lock bags with wood shavings and small dry sticks in them. A magnesium fire starter with a pill bottle full of pre shaved magnesium and a small container of powdered magnesium. A couple packages of Triox, a bic lighter, a section of newspaper, pre made wax soaked fire starters and some matches. If she can't start a forest fire with that, I'm trading her in. LOL

Sticky is an awesome idea.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
I put 2 one gallon zip lock bags with wood shavings and small dry sticks in them.
I always have a gallon of sawdust on hand because I make it every day or so.
I've thought of taking sawdust and impregnating them with wax somehow and make a "brick" out of them where one could just knock off a piece and the shavings would be exposed for an easy light.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I always have a gallon of sawdust on hand because I make it every day or so.
I've thought of taking sawdust and impregnating them with wax somehow and make a "brick" out of them where one could just knock off a piece and the shavings would be exposed for an easy light.
That's actually what my grandfather did for years...he'd take the 1/2 lb lead ingot mold from a Lee kit and fill it with a sawdust/wax mixture, then use it as a fire starter in the wood stove. Worked wonderfully.

As for the dryer lint...when I was in the scouts, we used to form the lint into balls about the size of a shooter marble, packed tight, then dip them in wax. It was just big enough to leave a bit of 'dry' lint in the middle. When you were ready for a fire, break it open to find the dry and throw your sparks.

I've also used the magnesium fire starters to start 'chunk-o-wax' style starters. They work very well, to get that starting oomph..just be sure to break them in half and use your knife to form a bowl in the wax for all of your magnesium flakes to fall into. It took a while, but it worked nearly every time that I actually took the time to whittle out enough flakes (about the size of a green pea.)

Just my .02. Use or abuse as you see fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts