Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recent Blog
Joined
·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Step 1 - Gather Materials
First, gather a few materials from around the house. 1. Dryer lint 2. An empty egg carton 3. Old Candle Stubs (or in my case, a box of canning wax - $3*) 4. Dental floss 5. Scissors 6. New Belgium beer (not required, but hey, that's how it happened) *Available at your local hardware store

Step 2 - Cut the Wax
Whether using old candle stubs or bars of canning wax, cut them into small strips/chunks so they can be more easily melted.

Seven more steps at:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Waterproof-Dryer-Lint-Fire-Starter/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
There really needs to be a comprehensive firestarter sticky so that people won't keep rehashing ideas in new threads.
 

·
Wild Edibles Expert
Joined
·
10,167 Posts
Personally, I have never had any luck using dryer lint as a fire starter, with or without wax. I think it depends on what kinds of clothes (fabrics) you dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
I only use dryer lint from cotton cloths, but its lights good by its self and a small ziploc bag is very light and small.
BIG T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
dryer lint from our dryer easily takes a spark from a fire steel. Not sure how it would take one when covered in wax, but it is worth a try!
 

·
Maximus
Joined
·
12,320 Posts
Personally, I have never had any luck using dryer lint as a fire starter, with or without wax. I think it depends on what kinds of clothes (fabrics) you dry.
Try it from a Jeans only dryer load and those will spark fast. Manmade matierals can be harder to light. Polyester, nylon etc. But cotton takes a good spark.
 

·
Numquam Succumbe
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
dryer lint from our dryer easily takes a spark from a fire steel. Not sure how it would take one when covered in wax, but it is worth a try!
The wax preforms two functions: Keeps the tinder dry and creates a longer burn time. You break apart the wax to expose the lint, then light it with a spark! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Ya I use to do this when I was in the Boy Scouts. It really works and quite well. I don't remember putting beer in it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,321 Posts
the thing about that tinder is.. yes its water proof but you need an open flame to light it...

if it was lint and vasaline inside mixed in a bit.. it would work well... wax is good for getting a fire going if its small just throw an old candle into the fire and watch it pick up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
My sons scout troop makes these by the bucket full. If you dont have an open flame just squirt a little hand sanitizer on them and throw some sparks at it with your steel. They work well.
 

·
Looks like rain to me.
Joined
·
41,428 Posts
1. My kid chews Skoal, I keep an empty can of lint in my preps, jeans and cotton socks work best.

2. In the Boy Scouts we used to roll up cardboard and stuff it in a tuna can then fill it with melted wax. Those made awesome fire starters.

3. Hand sanitizer works great. I keep some of the gel soaked towels in my preps too. They burn for 5-6 minutes.

In my wife's GHB I have a fire starter kit.

I put 2 one gallon zip lock bags with wood shavings and small dry sticks in them. A magnesium fire starter with a pill bottle full of pre shaved magnesium and a small container of powdered magnesium. A couple packages of Triox, a bic lighter, a section of newspaper, pre made wax soaked fire starters and some matches. If she can't start a forest fire with that, I'm trading her in. LOL

Sticky is an awesome idea.
 

·
Hunter
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
I put 2 one gallon zip lock bags with wood shavings and small dry sticks in them.
I always have a gallon of sawdust on hand because I make it every day or so.
I've thought of taking sawdust and impregnating them with wax somehow and make a "brick" out of them where one could just knock off a piece and the shavings would be exposed for an easy light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
I always have a gallon of sawdust on hand because I make it every day or so.
I've thought of taking sawdust and impregnating them with wax somehow and make a "brick" out of them where one could just knock off a piece and the shavings would be exposed for an easy light.
That's actually what my grandfather did for years...he'd take the 1/2 lb lead ingot mold from a Lee kit and fill it with a sawdust/wax mixture, then use it as a fire starter in the wood stove. Worked wonderfully.

As for the dryer lint...when I was in the scouts, we used to form the lint into balls about the size of a shooter marble, packed tight, then dip them in wax. It was just big enough to leave a bit of 'dry' lint in the middle. When you were ready for a fire, break it open to find the dry and throw your sparks.

I've also used the magnesium fire starters to start 'chunk-o-wax' style starters. They work very well, to get that starting oomph..just be sure to break them in half and use your knife to form a bowl in the wax for all of your magnesium flakes to fall into. It took a while, but it worked nearly every time that I actually took the time to whittle out enough flakes (about the size of a green pea.)

Just my .02. Use or abuse as you see fit.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top