Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you fill your containers with water for storage from the tap how long will it last before you need to change it for fresh water?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'd say six months at least if kept in a cool dark place. I know that the bottled plastic gallons have marked shelf life of over a year. Don't buy/fill all at once. Rotate at the end of shelf life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since it seems that bleach breaks down over time, I wonder if doubling or trippling the recommended bleach would make the water last longer. This assumes you could time it properly when you would need it, like if you were planning on using it in 2-3 years, for example.

Any thoughts on this???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is that a couple of drops per gallon?

I just purchased two 30 gallon plastic containers. I'll be filling them this weekend, should I add 2-3 drops per gallon?

Thanks

·
Propagator
139 Posts
what about the jugs of water you get at the store. As long as the seal is not broken and they are not exposed to air, they should last several years right?

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
what about the jugs of water you get at the store. As long as the seal is not broken and they are not exposed to air, they should last several years right?
Those are bio-degradable, and in theory they should start breaking down within a year of being filled at the plant. In practice, like you said, if you don't expose them to the elements they should last longer than a year. But I would not trust them. Get several Aqua-tainers instead and fill them with tap water. They are not cheap, but worth the price IMO.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Those are bio-degradable, and in theory they should start breaking down within a year of being filled at the plant. In practice, like you said, if you don't expose them to the elements they should last longer than a year. But I would not trust them. ..
Yup.
I've had several start pin hole leaking just sitting there after a few months.

The clear heavier bottles that soft drinks come in may not last forever, but apparently for 10 years at the least if you keep them out of direct sunlight.

- OS

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
Many of us have found out the hard way that they get brittle and start leaking.
Even if you use them before that point, they taste like old dishwater.
Buy the crystal clear type containers of water and keep them in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Rotate on a regular basis.

This is what I did:
Get brand new food grade blue 55gal barrels, put them on a platform, fill them with filtered water.
I used a double unit water filter from a water cooler with fresh filters installed.
Treat them with Oxy-Stabile, date them (glad I did that) cover them with a cheap grill cover...very important.
This covers emergency drinking water.
Also have a Katadyn or MSR compact filter & Micropur tablets for your BOB.
http://www.katadyn.com
A good idea is to have a low cost bucket system for rain water to use for showers and dish washing.
http://shop.monolithic.com/products...g the latest Monolithic News, August 27, 2009

You could could boil that water and run it through a Big Berkey for drinking water but the ultimate solution is a distiller.
Wish I had one.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Since it seems that bleach breaks down over time, I wonder if doubling or trippling the recommended bleach would make the water last longer. This assumes you could time it properly when you would need it, like if you were planning on using it in 2-3 years, for example.

Any thoughts on this???
The best way is to regularly retreat the water, rather than overdosing it in the beginning. You can get more info at the chlorox web site.

·
8ⓖ 12&#9436
144 Posts
stabilized oxygen

Use Oxy-Stabile to give your water a 5 year shelf life. I used it to treat my 55gal barrels.
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_72&products_id=1137
:) Just clicking 'thanks' wasn't enough! I really appreciate you posting this link, Techo. Several years ago I bought some bottles of the stablilized oxygen from a source that I no longer patronize, don't know if they still sell it. I didn't know if it was still usable. Now I know. One more option for safe water. I think I might be fixated on having safe water after SHTF! :rolleyes:

Reactions: techo

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
:) Just clicking 'thanks' wasn't enough! I really appreciate you posting this link, Techo. Several years ago I bought some bottles of the stablilized oxygen from a source that I no longer patronize, don't know if they still sell it. I didn't know if it was still usable. Now I know. One more option for safe water. I think I might be fixated on having safe water after SHTF! :rolleyes:
Since you can't go more then three days without it and need about a gallon a day, I would say your fixation is not a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
You and me both. One thing I'm always harping on in posts is that people put away a year of food and a week of water. Something is just severely backwards about that. I store a lot of water, but during good times, it's plenty easy to rotate since I use it to water my garden. I also store a heckuva lot of chlorox.

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive just started washing out the 1 gallon milk containers and using them for water, I can fit about 8 in my fridge so about a weks worth of water kickin round.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We had a couple gallons in storage and after a year or so, they slowly leaked after the plastic degraded. what a mess!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do you think about this guy that says add no Chlorine/Bleach to your bottled/stored water, wait until you use it? I can sort of see that makes sense. No point in ruining the taste if its going to be used in the near future!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I use half gallon juicy juice containers. They last a while if left alone, but for long term water storage add a drop or 2 of bleach.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts