Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a shallow (25 ft) well that is an excellent producer of very clear, very clean water. It runs on a Myers HC50 Jet pump with a 3/4 hp GE Motor. I am looking at trying to convert this to a solar pump w/ battery bank. I believe this could be done by replacing just the pump motor...not certain, as I am just starting my research. I have a 20 gallon pressure tank as well...may up the size of this. I am also considering adding a 400 gallon doorway tank for reserve water as well (there is room adjacent to the well pump and pressure tank in the utility/pump room in my basement). Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Would not recommend changing the pump motor, but would recommend using an inverter from the battery bank to provide AC to the existing pump. This would also allow you to have AC for other things as well. You will need to study how often your pump needs to run on an average day to determine how much solar and battery power you will need, my pump is a 15amp and runs a average of 60min per day. I have 1000watts of solar, 1000watts of wind, 4 L-16 batteries (860ah) and a pair of 2000watt inverters to provide all of the power I need at the BOL.

Hope this helps!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Above ground water storage tank say in the 500 gallon range, and a solar powered trickle water pump.

Reactions: mnm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Above ground water storage tank say in the 500 gallon range, and a solar powered trickle water pump.
This would be a reasonably cost-effective way to go. The set up is in the basement of my ranch style home. As mentioned in my OP, a doorway storage type tank or two would fit in the pump room. Should I up the size of my pressure tank as well?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking to incorporate this setup with my existing water system for every day use. The storage tank would serve as backup and by keeping it inline with my existing house system, it would be continuously refreshed/rotated. How would a person go about doing so and maintain pipe pressure to the house. I currently have my well pump feeding a 20 gal pressure tank (may go to a larger size). I can't pressurize the lage storage tank and with my vision of this at the moment, gravity feed is not feasible. I would like to avoid a multiple pump systam if possible.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Maybe its because we are so used to deep wells, like 200 feet, but why wouldn't you have a hand pump for water that shallow? My grandad's hand pump worked and the water was 3 times that depth. Solar is always good, but I'm just curious. 25 feet is nothing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to gut my existing well to add a hand pump to it...at least this is what I think would have to happen. It is my current home supply. The casing is fairly small-3"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts