Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread poster earlier about water in plastic being poisonous/toxic if left in a hot car. Is this also the case with regular storage in say your home. I ask because I currently live in an apartment in a city and do not have a lot of storage space so I have been slowly collecting gallons of water and storing them in my apartment. Are these now toxic if I have had them for a few months? If so what do you suggest for storage for someone on a budget and with not a lot of storage space? Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i wouldnt think so if an air conditioned area...I would like some more feedback as well for clarification, because i am doing the same thing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i wouldnt think so if an air conditioned area...I would like some more feedback as well for clarification, because i am doing the same thing...
I have been reading the same thing about water that gets too hot and also freezing water in plastic containers. I hear a lot of times women that have breast cancer get pos tests back contain plastic.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You are thinking about BPA, Bisphenol A, which is a byproduct of some plastic containers and water bottles which leaches out over time or at an accelerated rate when heated.

BPA free containers are available and a lot of bottled water companies made a point over the last few years to either change their container composition or point out that their containers were BPA free...

You can google "BPA water" and read more about it...

Mo-Go

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have heard of the problems from Bisphenol A but was not sure that this was the problem that others were speaking about. Do you know if the bottles/gallon jugs would state whether or not this is a part of their plastic? Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have heard of the problems from Bisphenol A but was not sure that this was the problem that others were speaking about. Do you know if the bottles/gallon jugs would state whether or not this is a part of their plastic? Thanks.

While I believe the FDA has officially recognized BPA as a carcinogen I'm not sure what the regulations are with respect to packaging. Given that BPA is a buzzword these days, a lot of packaged materials are going out of their way to indicate that their packaging does not contain BPA.

If you have a lot of concern, specifically seek out BPA free containers and package your own water and fluids...

Good luck!

Mo-Go

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I hope you aren't storing that in the containers you bought them in. If it's those plastic containers that look the same as what milk comes in, you should know they will leak over time. That stuff is made to break down. In a year or so you will begin to see wet spots under them if they're on a hard floor. If storing them on carpet you'll probably ruin the floor before you notice it since they leak REAL slowly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, what would you recommend I store them in provided that I have small storage space and I am on a budget?

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
I use these. I paid $10 apiece so that aren't the cheapest but the are tough and will last forever. Plus they don't leak.I want my water to be there when I need it and I don't want othr preps ruined by water leaks. Might as well do it right the first time. These are the last water containers you will ever have to buy. :thumb: They are sceptre water containers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use these. I paid $10 apiece so that aren't the cheapest but the are tough and will last forever. Plus they don't leak.I want my water to be there when I need it and I don't want othr preps ruined by water leaks. Might as well do it right the first time. These are the last water containers you will ever have to buy. :thumb: They are sceptre water containers.

May I ask where you can get these. I need to store some water in my car for getting home if something happens. My GHB does have a water bladder, that I will fill when I need it, just dont want it filled at this time. I was just planning to get some gallon type jugs of water, but these might be better.

Thanks,
Lady

1 - 11 of 11 Posts