Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using 40' water/milk tankers as a bunker? I found an old one on CL for $500 delivered. The axles are trashed but the tank holds pressure. Just a thought. :upsidedown:

·
tempus fugit
702 Posts
I thought about it but it's designed to take internal pressure not external pressure. Step on a soda can and see what happens, same principle. You could use it as above ground water storage though. Or, put it in the ground and fill it with water, then pour concrete around it. The pressure from the water would keep it from deforming while the concrete cures and when it's done just pump out the water. Make sure to cap the tank though once it's full or it could still deform.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are all valid points. I think I'll just go the corrugated pipe route for a bunker. Or is fallout shelter the word I am searching for? I like the idea of a water storage tank for emergencies. And yes, it's a stainless steel tank I believe, silver and shiny for sure. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
a corrugated pipe.. at least 8' wide could be reinforced with outside beams to keep it from deforming or "deflection" turning the circle pipe into an oval pipe due to compaction.. course if you built it above ground then piling up dirst around it might be better and would last longer i would imagine. you could always put rocks around it.. saw one in a desert like that.. it blended right in.. you couldnt tell it was even there..

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
milk tanks are stainless and have no baffles. they have to be flushed after each use and baffles will provide places for bacteria to grow.
my old vol fire dept converted a milk tank to be one of out water tankers. we had to weld in baffles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts