Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SLACK OUT!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to begin preping 2 liter coke bottles. I have washed them out twice and and let them sit for almost a week with joy dish soap and water in them. Anything I should wash them out with next.

I also have those gallon milk jugs but those are next to useless. I will only keep using those till I have enough 2 liter bottles on hand.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I had heard that the gallon milk jugs were made of a biodegradable plastic, not good for long term storage. I bought the refillable 1 gal water jugs in the store $ 0.89 filled them to about 2" from the top and put them in the bottom of my freezer. if the power goes out it gives me an extra 2 -3 hours of time before the food unthaws, and if I need the water its there.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Water is always the most complicated thing to plan, even though it's the cheapest. If you're looking to put away a large amount, look locally and in craigslist for used tanks. You often see farmers selling irrigation tanks cheap and you can find used liquid transport cubes too. I bought several of the liquid transport cubes for $20 each. They had originally held soy oil, so some cleaning was in order. But they hold several hundred gallons each!

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Water is always the most complicated thing to plan, even though it's the cheapest. If you're looking to put away a large amount, look locally and in craigslist for used tanks. You often see farmers selling irrigation tanks cheap and you can find used liquid transport cubes too. I bought several of the liquid transport cubes for $20 each. They had originally held soy oil, so some cleaning was in order. But they hold several hundred gallons each!
Mike, how are you transporting thoses in case you have to BO? or is this just for home prepping? 100 gals would be about 800lbs. - Simon

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Don't use milk jugs or 2 liter bottles.
I've tried both, and both will just screw up the water.

I use "aqua-tainers" from wal-mart, and they have worked perfectly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mike, how are you transporting thoses in case you have to BO? or is this just for home prepping? 100 gals would be about 800lbs. - Simon
Common sense would say they would be moved empty. You could then set up a rainwater collection system to fill them back up.

·
68,585 Posts
It's strictly for home prep. They're too big to haul in a bugout unless you had them preloaded onto a cargo trailer. Full, they probably weight over a ton. If I'm forced to bug out, they'll just stay. I have several of them plus one 350 gallon plastic irrigation tank. Not much use trying to capture rainwater here. It doesn't rain often and not much when it does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When brewing home made beer it is important to clean the bottles out enough to keep them from cultivating non-desireable microscopic organisms. I think a cap full of good old fashioned chlorine bleach for every gallon of water kills what it needs to with no tragic consequences for either the beer or the beer drinker.
To a point, water storage all depends what you want to so with the stored water. We always have 5 gallon jerry cans for flushing toilets when the power goes out during a hurricane, lots of filled up detergent bottles without rinsing out the left over soap is good for washing, and sealed gallons/bottles to provide drinking water for pets and peeople. Hope it helps.
If interested in home brewing, stock up on Bass Ale bottles. They fit 5 x 5 perfectly in a standard sized plastic milk crate. Beer can remain potable just as long as water, and it tastes better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I already have rain barrels in place for gardening water collection. If worse comes to worse I would drink it. I have actually considered how I could run a line into our basement to access the water barrels and if it would be worth the effort to easily allow for the renewable resource if the situation allows.

Right now I am storing in 2 litre bottles that I prepared as described here

·
Nemo May Impune Laccesit
317 Posts
There are a few sources for the 55 gallon drums you may not have considered. I've bought some empty 55 gallon syrup drums from a Pepsi bottler. I discovered a local spice and flavor extract company that was resaling their 55 gallon vanilla extract drums at a local hardware store for $16.50. Some professional apple orchards crush their apples for juice into drums before dispensing them into 1 gallon jugs and I don't believe they are allowed to reuse them. If you you find some and bring them home for a thorough rinse add 5 teaspoons of 6% bleach as you fill them to achieve a 3-4 ppm chlorine level. They'll be stable and satisfying for over 2 years.
If you're storing water in 2 liter bottles, add 3 drops of 6% bleach to achieve ~4 ppm of chlorine residue and store them in a dark location as the sun will leach the chlorine.

·
Today's Survival Show
348 Posts
For me, it's seems easiest to just be regular with the "rotation" method. I store 3 liter bottles that I usually buy for 99 cents each. They should easily keep the water for 2-3 months or more (I keep them sealed, unopened). I mark the date on them and be sure to use them up and buy more when they are on sale.

We budget ourselves pretty tightly financially so we can afford to do this. Water seems so cumbersome to store that I find it more practical to "buy it". I can still keep enough for our family of 3 for a week to 10 days and not have to go through a lot of trouble to store it. In suburbia, it's easier that way. If I live in a rural area, then I would definitely do more.

Today's Survival Show

·
68,585 Posts
Wow, that's over a buck a gallon. I'd get poor fast trying to store much at that price. I keep about 1,500 gallons on hand now. Trying for more too, as soon as they get some more tanks in that are food safe.

·
Today's Survival Show
348 Posts
Well, I hear 'ya. If I were to keep 1,500 gallons then certainly I wouldn't buy it. Right now, I've got a few other prepping priorities trumping the water storage. I'm gonna roll the dice on this one. I don't think the likelihood of my family needing 1,500 gallons is as high as other common disasters such as job loss, home invasion, home fire, personal attack, medical emergency, local weather tragedy, evacuation, food shortage (or huge spike in price) or energy prices skyrocketing.

I do store water and see the need for it, but it's in the bottom third of my list right now. Congratulations on 1,500 gallons, you're pretty well set with that.

·
68,585 Posts
To me, water is top priority. And being in the desert, it's also the hardest to come by, though I do have a couple backup sources. I have a well but the groundwater is horribly salty. I also have the river nearby, assuming I could safely get to it and back. I figure the well will keep the gardens irrigated. I'm growing stuff in the salty soil already. It's not great, but it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts