Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to store water. For those of you that use Aqua Tainers, how often do you change out the water? I just want a small amount, not big barrels. I figured a shelf of Dollar Tree jugs for drinking and an aqua tainer or cooking or dishes . Anyone ever taste water from aqua tainer? Does it get that plastic smell/ taste?

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
I don't change them, at least, never have.

Sterile water in a sterile container doesn't go bad.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have some with water. It was city water filtered by a carbon undersink filter down to .5 micron back in fall of 2011. Still in the basement. I will be replacing it this spring just in case it has gone bad. I am sure it leached something out of the plastic. But, I have used aquatainers camping, and have never had a bad taste from them. Just want to have the best when needed.:)

·
Sic semper tyrannis.
8,437 Posts
Ditto, no need to change out the water in the aqua-tainers. I have many of the Reliance Aqua-Pak containers and they haven't altered the taste of water as far as I can tell. I do give them a good rinse out of the box with baking soda and water.

Keep in mind that water stored in milk-jug type containers are not suitable for long term storage, this type of plastic will degenerate. If you have 2L soda bottles around, filling those with tap water is a better alternative.

·
11,956 Posts
If folks are looking for a good price on Aquatainers, take a look at Farm and Fleet's prices:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ainer-fresh-water-container.html#.UTq8k9aWboI

Just for kicks, put four of these in your cart, and before you get checked out, check the shipping cost. The 7-gallon version can be had for $12-13 in packages of four, shipped to your home.

They go on sale from time to time for under $11 each, and with economy shipping you can be at about $12 each on them if you buy four.

Nobody else I've found is close to this price.

·
Is there any more coffee?
103 Posts
If folks are looking for a good price on Aquatainers, take a look at Farm and Fleet's prices:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ainer-fresh-water-container.html#.UTq8k9aWboI

Just for kicks, put four of these in your cart, and before you get checked out, check the shipping cost. The 7-gallon version can be had for $12-13 in packages of four, shipped to your home.

They go on sale from time to time for under $11 each, and with economy shipping you can be at about $12 each on them if you buy four.

Nobody else I've found is close to this price.
THANKS!!! Just got 4 of them shipped to my house for $52!

·
I want a house.
503 Posts
I tried to order but for some reason it doesn't like the letters in the postal code. Truly wish that we could get the same type of prices up here in Canuckistan.

So many times I see what is a GREAT DEAL online; I put a lot of things in the cart, then click 'checkout'. Lo and behold, they don't ship up here.

We don't own a car and travel in this city by bus is a pain where one isn't needed. Even when we get somewhere where you would expect them to have the thing, they don't necessarily have it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you get cozy with a restaurant or other large food facility, you can obtain a virtually unlimited supply of gallon-size glass jugs that initially contained wine. I have twenty-five of these, and getting more all the time. Rinsed thoroughly, I fill them with filtered water from my Brita water jug, add a eye-dropper full of colloidal silver solution to prevent growth of the little bad things, and store in a cool, dark and dry place. With the glass, there is no worry about plastic degenerating over time. After two years, the water is just as good as when it was bottled, and I don't have to worry too much about the occasional hurricane or winter blizzard that blows through here.

·
1,313 Posts
We bought these at wally World in 2009 at 8 bucks a pop. My kids wantedsome and went to get them...price 15.00 today. Never have an odd taste from ours but they do stay in the same temperture year round at our home..

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
Water weighs about 8.35 pounds per gallon. Thus a 7 gallon aqua-tainer when full, including the weight of the container approaches 60 pounds. Think about that when selecting a container.

Reactions: goose3

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
I am on the verge of geezerhood and recently developed back problems. Currently, I use a couple of the 2.5 gal. aqua-tainers. I also have a couple of the 7 gal but they are hard to move around. My wife cannot handle them at all.

I have hose and connectors so that I can draw water from the water heater if need be.

I have had to move recently and will need to move at least one more time in the next year so I need to keep some things a bit portable. However, when my wife and I are finally settled, we are looking into various options. Here is an idea we are considering 40 - 60 tank. If we wind up with a well, that is a different matter. We do want to have plenty of stored water.

Finally, while my wife is not terribly enthusiastice, I am looking at rainwater harvesting as well. At least for garden irrigation.

With all that stored water, we also have a gravity water filter. We currently use a Berkey. We run all our water through it as a matter of course, yes, even tap water.

Reactions: grandma and goose3

·
Is there any more coffee?
103 Posts
Water weighs about 8.35 pounds per gallon. Thus a 7 gallon aqua-tainer when full, including the weight of the container approaches 60 pounds. Think about that when selecting a container.
True. The 7-gallon is pretty much the upper limit of what is manageable for one person to move around. I worked part-time at fish & aquarium stores for 5 years and spent hundreds of hours filling and moving customers' water jugs, so I'm used to it, but for most people, the 60-lb. weight and the movement of the water inside can be troublesome.

·
11,956 Posts
For those looking for alternatives to containers like the Aquatainer, one of the more interesting ways to store water I've run across is this:

Plumb a water tank inline with your water heater. That is, between the source of water for the water heater, and the water heater itself, splice a tank into that line. It could be the tank from an old water heater, another kind of tank, doesn't matter. I'd put a bypass around it so you could, if you wanted to, feed the water heater directly and cut the supplemental tank out of the loop.

Make sure that tank has a release valve on the bottom from which you could drain water.

That tank would be additional water that is constantly refreshed (for those concerned about that), and would serve the additional benefit of moderating the temperature of the water coming into the water heater so it would recover faster. And if you don't want that, insulate the tank.

I don't have this in my house (no room) but if we ever build a house again, I will at minimum leave room for this.

Reactions: dok

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
What does that have to do with my post?
I agree, and so, back on target here. We have our day-to-day water in those 5 gallon jugs that go on a water cooler. (we only use it because we had it...free;when it dies, we won't get another) We also have a few Aquatainers that we fill at the local spring (tested by the town) and that I add a bit of bleach to each time we fill. We empty and re-fill these every 3 months or so. I know most people think emptying and filling every 3 months is over-kill, it makes it easy for me to remember when to do it, and the water we empty gets used anyway, by chickens or dogs, etc. So, end of March, they all get emptied and re-filled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think these aqua-tainers are great, Reliance gives a 5 year warranty on them, I believe they will last a lot longer than that. They are BPA free and have a great spigot on them. I have only had mine for about a month now and have been purchasing more whenever I am at the local Wal-mart. $12.88 each Took them home and cleaned them with cleaning agents that I use in all of my beer making adventures.

I am going to get some IBC totes for rainwater catchment for the garden. But I think the Aqua-tainers are the best portable units out there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to look for the smaller aquatainers. There is no way I could lift 60 pounds. I know hubby could but my wrists are shot from repetitive motion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts