Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 4 food grade barrels for water storage.I have cleaned them with a vinegar and backing soda solution, and plan to do a final rinse with a mild mix of bleach and water. What do you recommend as storage solution.I have seen the mixture they sell for $15. but would like to find a cheaper way. So far bleach is the cheapest way I have found.I plan to get a water filter soon,and will use it when we need to use the water.Thanks
 

·
Pleasantly demented woman
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
Just got 4 food grade barrels for water storage.I have cleaned them with a vinegar and backing soda solution, and plan to do a final rinse with a mild mix of bleach and water. What do you recommend as storage solution.I have seen the mixture they sell for $15. but would like to find a cheaper way. So far bleach is the cheapest way I have found.I plan to get a water filter soon,and will use it when we need to use the water.Thanks
Do a search for pool shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
If you store good, clean water from a reliable well or a municipal system in clean, food grade containers, you *won't* need to filter it when you use it. A little bit of bleach (8 drops/gal if untreated, or just a drop or two if from your municipal system) and all will be well. If you want to be super careful, just rotate every other year, & life is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
The above posts contain very good information. Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock) is fantastic to have available because it doesn't degrade over time like regular bleach. However, if you are obtaining your water from a municipal water supply and not a well, you don't really need to add anything to it as it is already chlorinated. Just change it out every 6 months to a year (I do a year).

A word about pool shock. Make sure you don't buy shock with addititives like algaecides, etc. You want straight calcium hypochlorite. Also be careful how you store it. It will cause metals to rust and it can give off some nasty fumes. I leave mine in my shed.
 

·
Proud Conservative
Joined
·
494 Posts
Very good advice. Pool shock is what I store also. You can them make gallons of water treatment for others also.
 

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
Joined
·
67,135 Posts
Chlorine is fine, but it will evaporate out over time and require retreatment. Rotating the water into the yard or garden works too, but can be inconvenient. As for bleach, it has a short shelf life. I'd suggest pool shock. It's cheap, relatively easy to find, and lasts for years. You can mix up bleach on demand for water treatment and household sanitizing.

Be sure to keep sunlight off your barrels. Not only does the heat drive chlorine off faster, but the UV degrades the plastic and the light encourages algae growth.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top