Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether storing in 2 or 3 liter soda bottles, or bigger 5 gal containers,

What do you add to the water, and how much per gallon, to keep it from stagnating in storage?

Chlorine, iodine?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
33,184 Posts
Bleach loses it strength as a few Months, the BEST method is using Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water, AKA: Pool Shock, it comes in a powder form and wil last for years. It's cheap and you can store enough to treat 1000's of gallons.

This thread changed the way I look at water forever, it's the best thread on water I have ever read:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=115642

Why Using Bleach to Disinfect Contaminated Water is a Problem

A little known problem with long term storage of bleach in your disaster emergency supply cache is that it degrades over time. Consulting a Chlorox bleach representative produced this statement:

“We recommend storing our bleach at room temperatures. It can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly. However, if you require 6% sodium hypochlorite, you should change your supply every 3 months.”

I cringe to think how many people have expired bleach in their disaster emergency kits that will be used for treating polluted water. Even what are considered reliable sources of information such as the EPA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA will show you how to use bleach to disinfect water but will leave out this exceedingly important piece of information.

This is why I created Survival Topics – to give you the real information you need to survive.

So if bleach is unreliable for long term storage in emergency preparedness kits then what other commonly available chemical methods of disinfecting water are there? As it turns out a better solution is easily available.
Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water

Calcium hypochlorite is one of the best chemical disinfectants for water, better than household bleach by far. It destroys a variety of disease causing organisms including bacteria, yeast, fungus, spores, and viruses.

Calcium Hypochlorite is widely available for use as swimming pool chlorine tablets or white powder that is much more stable than chlorine. This is often known as “pool shock”.
How to Disinfect Water Using Calcium Hypochlorite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts