Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in a neiborhood on a average size lot and want to store water in case shtf but i have no idea how much i need or where to store ,underground?in barrels?or even how much i need?we have food for around a year but i know i am lacking in water.i live in the desert so we dont get a lot of rain fall.within 5 years we will be building a house in a remote location on 40 acers where i plan on putting in a large underground tank and well have a well but untill then i am stuck in the burbs.any sugestions would be appreciated

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
I've always been of the mindset that water preparation should come first of all since it's more important than food or anything else. It should also be expanded and improved as possible.

The estimates usually say a gallon per person, per day. That'll do in the short term, but is woefully inadequate for long term. Personal hygiene, washing dishes, doing laundy and general cleaning up will require you to store more than that. Skimping on hygiene and cleanliness can result in illness so it's worth preparing for.

They have it figured that you're going to end up paying about a dollar a gallon for your water storage unless you come up with some creative measures. It become cost prohibitive when you consider that storing a years worth of water for a family costs about the same as storing a years worth of food! All for a commodity that in many places is so cheap as to be almost free.

When I started storing larger amounts, I bought Aquatanks. Those are storage bladders. I had two of the 150 gallon units. One had a leaky seam and the other, which was stored outside, didn't last long because of UV deterioration. They make a stronger, better yellow version now, but it costs more so you're back to the $1 a gallon again.

If you think outside the box, you can store water cheaply though. First off, start looking in craigslist and your local classifieds. If you have a farming community nearby, spend a little time driving through. Farmers are always getting rid of irrigation tanks. I ended up with a 325 gallon tank for free, just to haul it away. I've seen many others for sale very cheap.

The other thing to look for are those modular liquid transport cubes. You know, the ones with the plastic tank inside the metal cage. They hold about 250 gallons. Almost every city has a materials reseller that sells them used for cheap. I bought mine from an irrigation company for $20 each. I bought 5. So for about $100, I have around 1,500 gallons capacity now when you add in the irrigation tank I got for free.

Just make sure they held food grade liquids. They're also used to transport motor oil and all sorts of other stuff. Mine originally held soy oil.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
but then where do you store them??
The cubes can be stacked 3 high. If you have a garage, you can put them in there. If you can put up a storage shed, you can store them in the back of it, etc. They're large and they're bulky alright, but storing much water is going to be bulky no matter how you do it. I heard a quote that really made sense. "Space isn't something you have, it's something you create"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appeciate the advice,i was in the yard yesterday and i remembered reading on here some where about a pool so i think i will for now put in a above ground pool that if shtf i can filter the water and the kids will like it during summer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts