Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start putting back some water. I was going to get a 5 gallon container from walmart one of those from the camping section that is blue ( sometimes green) . I was wondering :

Do you have to refresh the water? If so how often?
How much Bleach per gallon?

·
Dont Touch It!!!!!!
560 Posts
I use the aquatainers from walmart for indoor storage and I use 55 gallon drums for outside. I do not put bleach in and as long as your storage container is clean and you store the water away from light you dont have to add anything in it. If it taste flat after a while you and pour it in between two glasses to refresh it....Water basically will stay good sealed and out of the sun...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if i wanted to add some bleach to the water how much should i add? i want to be on the safe side..

·
Libertarian
2,750 Posts
Check out Emergency Essentials website. Click on "water" or the picture of the blue barrels-they have a question and answer section. I think they also state that you don't need to add bleach-but they do have a hose they say you should use. Keep prepping!:)

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
you only need a few drops per gal. if you use a lot it will evaporate out in 24 hrs if you leave it open anyways. where are you getting your water, from the city? it's already treated.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,780 Posts
If you're using municipal water that is already chlorinated, you should be fine as-is.

If not, then 8 drops per gallon would be fine.

Realize, though, that sterile water in a sterile container doesn't go bad.

Also: if you can afford it, you can get 7-gallon aquatainers from Farm and Fleet for about $12 each, including shipping, if you buy four of them; they're on sale right now for $10.79 each:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ainer-fresh-water-container.html#.UWCVq6LvH-Z

They're on sale right now.

Reactions: pghud3 and escape

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
with the Aquatainers and most of the other brands ... they ship with the plastic faucet inverted and stored to the inside of the jug .... you risk contamination by storing water in this shipping mode .... you can reverse the faucet as per the usage mode .... or .... I recommend that you store the plastic faucet(s) and replace with a 3/4" dia PVC threaded plug from the plumbing department ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts