Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am storing water in Great Value 3qt apple juice bottles. I wash them out, bleach them, then refil with HOT tap water. before I seal them. I place approx 4-6 drops of bleach in the water. I then place Glad press and seal wrap to eliminate bubbles. I then place the lid on and check to make sure there are no air bubbles. My question is...with an airtight seal...will the bleach stay effective for a long period of time?

I just checked a bottle that I filled exactly one year ago and the water smelled and tasted normal.

Just looking for some feed back from those who are a lot more experienced in this matter than I.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I use similar bottles I don't go to all that trouble. I figure I can add bleach or hypo chloride after I open them and then let it settle. I have had some of mine stored for 4 years without all that stuff & they smell, look & taste normal.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Or use 4-5 drops of 2% tincture of iodine per quart! Will prevent algae or bacteria from forming! Just dont forget plastic is porous so outside chemical contamination might leech in so store away from any type of fuel or chemical!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just use bleach when I am cleaning them out, so the sugar or syrup will stay out, but then I store them just water. I figure I will probably filter them when I use them anyways, so I dont keep drops of bleach in them.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
I found a 325 gal container that originally contained industrial strength vinegar for a VERY good price. I think if I clean it out well It can be used for long-term water storage.

Anyone have any definitive information?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Perhaps I am wrong but, I've been led to believe from my wife who is a senior RN that tap water is not the healthiest. It sits in your water heating storage tank, runs through years old piping and looses nutrient value being boiled.

Why hot and not cold which runs clean after a minute or two of flushing your lines and comes directly from your service?

·
Liberty Defense Agent
397 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I believe Walmart has a 60 gallon rain water collection system. Black 60 gallon hard plastic tub with a black plastic tube, assorted pieces are included, I would imagine for attachment to some sort of garden irrigation system, gutter system, or even another tub. All this for around $64.95. I would think all you'd have to do is put some sort of window screen at the top of your gutters (which I do anyway to collect leaves and such) and another one at the mouth of your tube. Filter it as needed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I believe Walmart has a 60 gallon rain water collection system. Black 60 gallon hard plastic tub with a black plastic tube, assorted pieces are included, I would imagine for attachment to some sort of garden irrigation system, gutter system, or even another tub. All this for around $64.95. I would think all you'd have to do is put some sort of window screen at the top of your gutters (which I do anyway to collect leaves and such) and another one at the mouth of your tube. Filter it as needed.
Got a link? I can only find a 50 gal for $79 on their website.

·
Liberty Defense Agent
397 Posts
Negative. I saw it in the store. Next time I'll take a picture. For what it's worth, it was outside in the "greenhouse". Saw it whilst picking up mulch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer SOUNDCHASER, I use hot water so that as it cools, it would draw down the cling wrap that i have under the cap to create a tighter seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts