Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a problem, or so I feel it is, concerning my water storage.

I'd like to explain how I go about storing water:

First, I use 2 liter bottles. I learned this from a friend. If everyone in your family/group gets a bottle or so a day, and one bottle happens to be tainted, hopefully only that one person gets sick, although I have made every effort to prevent that.

Continuing, I rinse the excess soda/juice out of the 2 liter bottles and then use a sanitizing liquid, used for home brew bottling.

I purchase water from a purified water kiosk, which is already purified through reverse osmosis, but I take it another step more and boil the water.

Once the water has cooled, I fill the sanitized bottles and add approximately 6 drops of bleach, cap and date the bottle.

From what I have learned and heard from friends about storing water, my method is a bit overkill but I want to store the purest water I can.

So here is this issue: I found some material floating in a couple bottles, which concerned me considering how much effort I have put into storing the water. Does anyone know what is floating in the stored water and if so, is it harmful?

I am just hoping I don't have to start all over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go to your local bottled water vendor and get those big 5 gallon water bottles to store your water in, they are better for longer storage times.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I'd suggest you check with local soft drink bottlers about getting used food grade barrels, either 30 or 55 gal. size. I prefer the 30 gal. as they're more portable while still holding a good amount of H2O, but either size is good.
Local hardware or feed and farm supply stores will probably have barrels, too.
The drinking water bottlers 5 gal. jugs are ok, but difficult to store as they don't stack well.
Emergency Essentials and other vendors also sell water barrels in various sizes from 5 to 55 gal.
The 2-litre bottles are ok for use as improvised canteens, but not much else.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been storing water in the 2L bottles for years, rotate them twice a year, I have 300+ in rotation. Never had any problems or bad water. Also use them for rice, beans, salt, sugar, popcorn, never any problems there either. For me they are free (recycled) and a great storage tool.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Those bottles don't last well. Besides, even if you had a bunch of them filled, you still don't have a lot of water stored. They also don't stack well, so they're going to take tons of space.

I struggled with water storage for years trying to find some method that allowed me to store a LOT of water. The problem was that no matter what I looked at, barrels, tanks, etc., the price was always about $1 a gallon.

Then I started thinking outside the box. In a short time I had a 350 gallon plastic water tank. Then recently, I found 250 gallon liquid transport cubes for $20 each. I'm at about 1,500-1,600 gallons for around $100. And I'm still finding suitable containers.

If you have any farming in the area, check the classified and craigslist. Farmers often sell off irrigation tanks. I found the 250 gallon cubes for sale at an irrigation company. But almost every city has some materials handlers that get those cubes and resell them. Just make sure it held food grade products. Some of them are used for motor oil and the like.

If you rotate the water, or keep it treated with chlorine, it'll stay good for a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts