Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
We The People
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very inadequate water storage system and need to build a new larger system. I am prepping for fourteen people plus two dogs. I don't want to waste money, but don't mind spending it to get stuff right. Any ideas on set up and amounts. Thanks you. Merry Christmas!!

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I like using the 6 or 7 gallon blue containers found at Walmart....I also have large 65 gallon tanks.....What's nice about the small ones is that they can be moved somewhat easily....Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon......You will have to figure out what you are really preparing for...Days of power outage,tornado damage or all out shtf....For that many people i would look into sometype of 1000 gallon plus sistern tank........ Either way start collecting the containers...

·
We The People
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like using the 6 or 7 gallon blue containers found at Walmart....I also have large 65 gallon tanks.....What's nice about the small ones is that they can be moved somewhat easily....Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon......You will have to figure out what you are really preparing for...Days of power outage,tornado damage or all out shtf....For that many people i would look into sometype of 1000 gallon plus sistern tank........ Either way start collecting the containers...
Those water cubes Joes mentioned are good. How much storage space or property/land do you have?
Could you drill a well?
Install a cistern/pond?
That is funny, The blue cubes are what I have right now. I think that I am looking for something in a tank system. I was thinking along the lines of a inline system, that way i could have a constant flow of fresh water. If something bad happens I could throw a valve and be good for 90 days.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I have a very inadequate water storage system and need to build a new larger system. I am prepping for fourteen people plus two dogs. I don't want to waste money, but don't mind spending it to get stuff right. Any ideas on set up and amounts. Thanks you. Merry Christmas!!
How many people have thought about purchasing and using an above ground or below ground pool? Either would store massive amounts of water in plain sight and would draw very little attention. Additionally, you'd have a pool to use all the way up until the SHTF.

Just make sure you have plenty of filters and turbo shock.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
For that many people, I'd look into tanks. It's the only way I know of to store that much water. Buy used if you can, to save big bucks, otherwise they're quite costly. The best value I know of are the modular liquid transport cubes. They hold about 250 gallons each and can be found used quite cheaply. Some irrigation suppliers have them as do materials resellers. You'll generally find a lot of them for sale in the classified and on craigslist. Look for farmers selling irrigation tanks too. I put up about 1,500 gallons for $100 in tanks.

Just be sure that the tank originally held food grade materials, or was used for water only. Some of the modular liquid cubes were used to transport motor oil and such. That can't be safely cleaned out that I know of.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
How many people have thought about purchasing and using an above ground or below ground pool? Either would store massive amounts of water in plain sight and would draw very little attention. Additionally, you'd have a pool to use all the way up until the SHTF.

Just make sure you have plenty of filters and turbo shock.
Been there.
PITA. The main reason for me was the fact I live in earthquake country.
Everything about owning a swimming pool is expensive and labor intensive. I would think a closed tank or cistern would be better. I would imaging winter brings a whole different set of problems in Texas to an outdoor pool owner as well.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
http://plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=87
for $750 you can get a 2500gal water cistern
im getting 6 1500 gal and placing them in a series if the **** hits the fan i have the citys water main and emergency pipe discharge port passing through my land so i can fill all up in 15 mins as the water main by my house is a 5 ft water pipe and discharge port is 6 in

·
Super Moderator
12,300 Posts
Check your water meter readings, if you have one. According to my research, normal usage in household is between 50 and 100 gallons per day per person. Even with conservation during the usage period, you are still looking at 20 to 30 gallons per day per person. That's 25,000 gallons minimum for 90 days.

Pressure rated tanks are much more expensive than non-pressurized. If it isn't against code I'd get the largest tank, or series of tanks, you can afford, plus a pressure pump and generator. Keep the tank(s) filled with a float valve from the commercial water system, and feed pressurized water from the tanks through the pump.

If you already have a pump system, a valve and pipe system will let you fill the tanks for a while and then draw them down for a couple of days before topping them off again.

If you have a good supply of well water, just not storage, I'd consider a second pump, either hand powered, or solar, in addition to a moderate sized tank.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Wow, Jerry. Just wow. 100 gallons per person per day?
Are you irrigating? I have a big yard and I use less than that. My wife is a water waster too. She grew up next to a river and acts accordingly.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
if your just wanting water for yourseld i would say 12 litres of water per day per person
if your planning on doing anything active

·
We The People
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For that many people, I'd look into tanks. It's the only way I know of to store that much water. Buy used if you can, to save big bucks, otherwise they're quite costly. The best value I know of are the modular liquid transport cubes. They hold about 250 gallons each and can be found used quite cheaply. Some irrigation suppliers have them as do materials resellers. You'll generally find a lot of them for sale in the classified and on craigslist. Look for farmers selling irrigation tanks too. I put up about 1,500 gallons for $100 in tanks.
I am going to look into this as a option, I have a irrigation business very close to my business. Thank you!

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Wow, Jerry. Just wow. 100 gallons per person per day?
Are you irrigating? I have a big yard and I use less than that. My wife is a water waster too. She grew up next to a river and acts accordingly.
I live for 9 years off a well that only put out 100 gals a day(24 hours measured it regularly) I had to haul 250 gals extra in a plastic tank once a week to put in my storage tank I pumped from. It got real old but it can be done! That water took care of 3 people, landry, dishes, 2 horses, several dogs and a few other things. You never waisted a drop and after a good shower you used the water saved in the tub to fill the washing machine with. Now I have a well that puts out 29 GPM so that is over 41,000 gals a day and it is like heaven! So you can live off 4,000 gals a month with no problem. If you did not do landry you would have extra. Mark

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
I am going to look into this as a option, I have a irrigation business very close to my business. Thank you!
Best of luck to you and keep the faith. If you don't find them right away, keep looking. They seem to come in spurts then disappear for a few months, then show up again, etc. At least that's how it works here. If you're near a larger city, they are probably more available there. Just make sure that they originally held food grade liquids. Sometimes they ship motor oil in those cubes. Mine originally held soy oil. Took a little cleaning but they cleaned up nicely and the water tastes sweet and fresh out of them with no side odors.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I live for 9 years off a well that only put out 100 gals a day(24 hours measured it regularly) I had to haul 250 gals extra in a plastic tank once a week to put in my storage tank I pumped from. It got real old but it can be done! That water took care of 3 people, landry, dishes, 2 horses, several dogs and a few other things. You never waisted a drop and after a good shower you used the water saved in the tub to fill the washing machine with. Now I have a well that puts out 29 GPM so that is over 41,000 gals a day and it is like heaven! So you can live off 4,000 gals a month with no problem. If you did not do landry you would have extra. Mark
This was a great story thanks for sharing it...Most people do not realize how hard it is to transport potable water every few days,especially in winter weather..........Did you have to do this during freezing temps ?????? Like you mentioned it feels like heaven to have 29 gpm......

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
This was a great story thanks for sharing it...Most people do not realize how hard it is to transport potable water every few days,especially in winter weather..........Did you have to do this during freezing temps ?????? Like you mentioned it feels like heaven to have 29 gpm......
I bought myself a 250 gal plastic transport tank that could fit inside the back of my 3/4 ton van. I had to add a extra leaf to the rear springs for the 2,000 lbs of water. I had a fill hose that hooked to a well in town about 10 miles away. The tank was light so I could slide it out easy. At home I had a pipe that went to my underground storage tank my well pumped into once a day till it was empty. I just pulled in the driveway and hooked the tank to the pipe and let it drain into the other tank. Then I drained every drop out of the tank and removed it. That way nothing froze in the winter. My well was on a timer to pump once every 24 hours and I timed how long it took to go dry. I set up the Percentage Timer to pump 19 mins each 24 hours and it kept the well being used at max output. I had a long ways(1,100 ft total 350 ft down) to pump up and from the well so it slowed down at the tail end just before shutting off. I had a float system I set up that stopped the well pump if the tank was full and floats to shut the 2nd pump off to the house if the 1,000 gal storage tank got low. After a few years it was like normal living! Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts