Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a better idea to store water in 55 gallon containers or numerous smaller (5 to 7 gal) containers? How do you store your water? Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Both, dont put all of your water in one thing, if it gets contaminated then your screwed, with multiple storage options ur better set. Plus u might need to take out a couple gallons on a walk or whatever. Use multiple storage methods and sizes. And have a way to get more water and steralize it too

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
It's not better one way or the other, it's just preference.

Smaller containers are more portable, larger ones are not at all. Are you planning on bugging out in an emergency or sheltering where you are?

·
3,760 Posts
Then big barrels, if you can find them, should work. Have some kind of method for how to get the water out.

IBC totes are wonderful, if you can find them: 275 gallons or 330 gallons.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you have the storage space go big, if you dont small. Water is key not how its stored i guess as long as you have it right

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm from Nevada and water is Muy Impotante! how long does one safely store water and do you filter it before use after storage?

·
3,760 Posts
I'm from Nevada and water is Muy Impotante! how long does one safely store water and do you filter it before use after storage?
Search this board for "pool shock" and you'll learn all you ever wanted to know, and then some.

Reactions: grandma and MikeK

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
I started with Walmart gallon jugs, then moved up to the blue 7 gallons. Then I saved my money and got one, then two, then 3, 30 gallon. I went 30 because they fit my storage area.
The gallon and 2.5 gallon do not store well, they leak.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
If you have the space, 55 gallon drums work well. Make sure you put enough chlorine in it to keep it from going bad, and get a barrel pump. That way you can pump out enough to fill a smaller container when you need to.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,589 Posts
I use IBC totes. They're the cheapest per gallon cost for storage that I have yet to find. And extremely space efficient, if you have the space for them to start with.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use every size of container imaginable.

Water will be one of your most important resources, and you can never have enough.
Store it properly, with the right preservative - - plenty on this board to show you how to do that - - - learn to do a search before you post, and you will find that water storage has been discussed many many times.

I use 250 gallon tower drums in the front corners of my garage. I use 55 gallon drums along the walls. I recently saw a post on here where someone used something called a 2x4 basic that they got at Lowes, but it is sold elsewhere as well, to create a shelf capable of holding a second 55 gallon drum up over the bottom one. I'm working on that prep this weekend and will line 8 55 gallon drums along the wall with 8 more above - for a total of 16 drums on the wall (plus the 2 250 gallon tower drums in the corners by the garage door). And I can still get my cars into the garage!

Under the stairs, I use water bricks. Each one holds 3.5 gallons and they have a nice handle. I was able to stack 72 of those in a configuration under the stairs.

In other places, I use the 7.5 gallon watertainers. The only thing about these is that they don't stack very well - - I have only been able to stack 2 high otherwise they leak.

I also have an 8,000 gallon underground cistern tied to rainwater collection, and I have a minimum of 2 55 gallon drums tied in a series at each downspout.

I can also refill the cistern from my well, but it is about 400+ feet deep so it will be difficult sans electricity.

But like someone else already pointed out, use every size water container - - whatever works for the space you have. Small ones make it easy to grab and go, but the big ones are priceless when TSHTF.

Again - - do a search! There have been literally 1000's of posts already done about water storage and how to purify it, how to filter it, how to collect it - - you name it. The search feature will become your best friend

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Do what works for you. The hard plastic clear bottles like sports drink or juice bottles work well. The milk jug type plastic jugs don't. It would be good to have large tanks for long term use and small jugs you can take with you if you have to leave.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I use several different sizes of containers including the tank on my RV. I use well water so I usually toss few water purification tabs in the containers to prevent bacteria growth.

·
goin' round and round
740 Posts
Big 55 gal for rainwater collection planned use as of now is for sanitary flushing. 5 and 7 gallon containers for drinking and washing, as well as 2 liter bottles. Plus a whole lotta flats of bottled water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts