Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I stored water in about 50 2 liter pop bottles. I followed directions from somewhere...don't remember at the moment. I know I used about a cap full (from the two liter) of bleach per bottle. I open one the other day and I can smell and taste a bit of bleach. Is this normal and safe or did I use too much?

Thanks!

BIH

·
Banned
309 Posts
A while back I stored water in about 50 2 liter pop bottles. I followed directions from somewhere...don't remember at the moment. I know I used about a cap full (from the two liter) of bleach per bottle. I open one the other day and I can smell and taste a bit of bleach. Is this normal and safe or did I use too much?

Thanks!

BIH
Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water. And the fact that you can still smell it and taste it is good it means you dont need to add anymore.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Thanks!

BIH
The bleach smell is fine. But a capful is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to much. As stated, a few drops is enough.

One other thing also, once you have the bleach mixture. Make sure to "weep" the water over the threads of the cap and bottle. That is where most baddies will hide, especially if you ever took a drink from the bottle straight from your mouth.

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
You used WAY too much bleach. Bleach can be a poisin
You should have used 4 drops per 2L bottle.

I suggest you dump all the bottles and start over. If nothing else
your water preps will be up to date.

You can buy 1 gallon jugs of water form Wal-mart for less than a buck.
They have a shelf life of several years.

McLovin

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
I found those measurements for using bleach very helpful,I wasn't really sure before,thankyou.
You're welcome.

What I do is print out the measurement chart and tape it to my bleach jugs with clear packing tape so it will always be handy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you open the bottle, and leave it in direct sunlight for an hour or two, most of the excess chlorine will be gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts