Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have filled about 20 gallons of water lately out of tap... I get rural water here in my small town, instead of city water (which rural water is MUCH better).

Will that be okay? I store half in the fridge, the other half in a cool location in my home. Should I buy a filter system for my sink and do it that way instead?

I want my water to last as long as possible.

What is nice where I live, there is a natural spring coming out of our pond so we should have unlimited water if the SHTF.

Thanks for the help!

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I'd suggest buying a water filter and several jugs to carry and hold water if you have a spring. You should be golden. Congrats on having a spring!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But my question is, for now, should I put a filter on my fossett before filling up my 1 gallon jugs?

If I have to, I'll dump the water I've collected for now if need be for filtered water.

Thank you!

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I guess that's true. They can also dry up via poking holes in the ground for water wells or gas exploration.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
But my question is, for now, should I put a filter on my fossett before filling up my 1 gallon jugs?

If I have to, I'll dump the water I've collected for now if need be for filtered water.

Thank you!
My personal advice might be lacking, but I would only filter water for drinking, cooking and washing up. And I think that you really need a finer filter than a faucet filter to remove biological contaminations.

http://www.everylifewaterfilters.com/

http://www.everylifewaterfilters.com/Basic_Filter_Kit_p/0005.htm

.02 micron is really nice. Faucet filters are ~6-10 microns if memory serves. They just catch some of the large debris in the water.

Filtering after (as you need it) saves your filtering capabilities plus it should help remove any residues from being stored in plastic. I just don't like plastic, but it's one of the best options, unfortunately.

Here is a somewhat wacky project that I'm doing to kill biological contaminants and to store water in glass containers. It's very heavy and it requires a lot of time, so I really cannot recommend it for anyone else.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=230164&highlight=spring+chores

·
reluctant sinner
20,474 Posts
What are you storing the water in and how long do you want to store it? I like those blue 7 gal jugs. I change out the water twice a year. I'm on well water and I just throw in a capful of hydrogen peroxide. Water is always fresh and clear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are you storing the water in and how long do you want to store it? I like those blue 7 gal jugs. I change out the water twice a year. I'm on well water and I just throw in a capful of hydrogen peroxide. Water is always fresh and clear.
I'd like to store it as long as possible. I don't have much storage room unless I went outside and put it in a wooden shed, which I don't want to do (heat), so I'm trying to keep it small with the 1 gallon jugs.

So a capful of hydrogen peroxide? What would that amount to in terms of a gallon? Would you recommend that for what I'm doing? Thanks!!!!

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Think about developing your spring and putting in a spring box,and have a screened outlet pipe so you can use the water. Having the spring developed with a storage tank before you need it is a big plus.

Red

·
reluctant sinner
20,474 Posts
I hear you on controled temp storage. I have 3 of those 7 gal aquatainer? in the bathroom, one stacked on top of the other 2 (all valves up and stored inside). I like the screw down vent and the valve. Tough, finally wore a hole in one after sliding around the back of a pickup all summer. Anyway you can just a capfull of hydrogen peroxide in a gallon, I brush my teeth with it and baking soda. You should get a good filter and it would be nice to have a spring box. I slaped some shoe goo on the leakly one and that jug is the water jug for the truck, the other 7 are for me.

http://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Thank you!
City water?

No, I wouldn't filter that. It has been treated with chlorine which keeps nasty things dead. If you don't like the chlorine in it, filter it when you consume it with a carbon filter like a Brita pitcher.

Also, light will play a big part here. Keep those jugs in a dark place or algee might grow in them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
City water?

No, I wouldn't filter that. It has been treated with chlorine which keeps nasty things dead. If you don't like the chlorine in it, filter it when you consume it with a carbon filter like a Brita pitcher.

Also, light will play a big part here. Keep those jugs in a dark place or algee might grow in them.

It's rural water but it's also treated. I have stored them in my walk-in closet which stays around 73 degrees and is very dark. I've stored my store bought bottled water first (like ozarka) then the ones i've bottled. I keep as much as I can in the fridge.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If the water is treated it will be fine, they dump chlorine in that water during treatment to kill the bad things. It should last a fair amount of time, worst case scenario you would have to treat it again with bleach or Hydrogen peroxide. Just I would dump the water every 1-2 years and refil just to keep it fresh, plenty of plants outside will be happy with more water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.