Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help me out here--berkley or sawyer system? Pros and cons for each? Would either of these work well with water caught in rain barrels from the roof? Would I also need to boil, bleach or tablet treat it? I am in a condo--if we lose natural gas/electricity would a kerosene heater be my best source of emergency room heat?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Berkey is what I believe you mean. Great system for home or retreat use. Heavy duty program. Sawyer is into more of the mobile market like REI types. For BOB use I prefer the Katadyn Pocket or Micro filter system. Katadyn also makes an Expedition model that is field proven. Access to replacement filters is a big issue. I am not trying to knock Sawyer, I just want to say those other two would be my choices (Actually they are my choices)

Kerosene heater have to be vented so be aware of that. also storing kerosene inside your apartment is not the best idea. Do you have an outside patio storage area? Do you have a fireplace that is vented? Where are you storing your water?

best wishes. GB

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Get both. One for when you need to stay put at home and the other for when you need to move around. They are different systems. I mean the Sawyer is only 40$-50$

As far as rain barrels off the roof, it depends on the type of shingling you have. Do you have tar and petroleum based? Or is it metal, clay, terra cota or other natural material? If natural, either filter will work. If it is petroleum based... neither will work 100% to remove chemicals but each would remove any bacteria or debris.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts