Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of digging a 2 or 3 foot hole, in the bottom of a spring. Installing a perforated piece of 4" pvc pipe, wrapped with some type of filter fabric. Then surround the pipe with washed stone. Install a clean out cap for protection and access.

The spring looks kind of murky and something has been burrowing in the sand, but the water coming up is usually very clear.

Does this sound good?

Attachments

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Good post...

I too would like to learn more about developing a spring. I have a very good spring on my property, but would like to have another for a pond higher up the slope. Mine is nothing more than a hole about 4' down with a 24" aluminum casing...you can see the water bubbling up from the bottom. From there, it is piped down the hill to a 1350 black plastic tank that has a 220 well pump inside. This is powered by the portable generator to pump it up the hill to another 1350 where it flows by gravity to the cabin.

Yours looks like it has been there for quite a while? I understand they can "plug" and find another route if not maintained, so I scoop mine out (rocks and sand) every year. Is this an actual "spring" or a "seep"? There are differences. I used a caterpillar on the slope above to see exactly what I have, cutting a hole down about 5' to see the strata. At about 4', it was clay, so water was staying above that particular layer and is now filling the "pond"...it is this I want to enlarge and develop another spring above it.

I'd try what you mentioned and see what comes of it...I have read (that in my case) that an uphill sloping "V" pattern for the "collection" pipes going to a center upright pipe (another aluminum standpipe) would be my best bet. There are a few spots on the web that are good reading (Google "water spring development" etc.)

Well...gotta go. Heading up there right now! Will check this post when I get back this weekend.

PS...the spring water we have is absolutely the prettiest water I have ever tasted!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too would like to learn more about developing a spring. I have a very good spring on my property, but would like to have another for a pond higher up the slope. Mine is nothing more than a hole about 4' down with a 24" aluminum casing...you can see the water bubbling up from the bottom. From there, it is piped down the hill to a 1350 black plastic tank that has a 220 well pump inside. This is powered by the portable generator to pump it up the hill to another 1350 where it flows by gravity to the cabin.

Yours looks like it has been there for quite a while? I understand they can "plug" and find another route if not maintained, so I scoop mine out (rocks and sand) every year. Is this an actual "spring" or a "seep"? There are differences. I used a caterpillar on the slope above to see exactly what I have, cutting a hole down about 5' to see the strata. At about 4', it was clay, so water was staying above that particular layer and is now filling the "pond"...it is this I want to enlarge and develop another spring above it.

I'd try what you mentioned and see what comes of it...I have read (that in my case) that an uphill sloping "V" pattern for the "collection" pipes going to a center upright pipe (another aluminum standpipe) would be my best bet. There are a few spots on the web that are good reading (Google "water spring development" etc.)

Well...gotta go. Heading up there right now! Will check this post when I get back this weekend.

PS...the spring water we have is absolutely the prettiest water I have ever tasted!
Thank You! "water spring development" was the phrase I did not know to google. I'll probably assume it is contaminated and treat it with a base camp filter. I'll see.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Something you could try. Is a spring house like thay used in the old day to keep stuff cool. And you would have water too.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
good 'ol fluid hydrodynamics. useful for keeping your throat quenched, your food cold, your feet warm, and your backside clean.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Check out the file i just posted for a hydraulic ram pump. If your lucky enough to have a spring up the hill check out the microhydro too

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
What is the composition of the soil surrounding the spring? The photo looks like there is clay soil. Ones I have observed either are just a pipe inserted into the side of a hill,where the spring exits,or a sump affair where the spring flows into,and sediment settles out.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the composition of the soil surrounding the spring? The photo looks like there is clay soil. Ones I have observed either are just a pipe inserted into the side of a hill,where the spring exits,or a sump affair where the spring flows into,and sediment settles out.
sandy silt. It looks like a pretty crappy spring. But some one must have used it at one time.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
sandy silt. It looks like a pretty crappy spring. But some one must have used it at one time.
Looks like someone put some work in it...hopefully it is just "plugged"? Here are a couple pics of mine...you can see the water constantly boiling up and churning the sand as it enters. This isn't a gusher by any means, but it brings over 1/2-3/4 gpm consistently. Adds up when you do the math, plus it is very pure.

It is, as mentioned before, a 5' hole in the ground with an aluminum pipe backfilled with stones. Over time, the sand and excess rocks that creep in need to be cleaned out. In my opinion, your spring is certainly worth a bit of work to see if it can be utilized...what a valuable resource!

Would be very interested in your progress if you choose to develop it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
That is similar to springs I have seen in northern Michigan.The few springs around me are usually a pipe sticking out the side of a hill.
The spring you have might be clarified by using a series of containment basins,daisy-chained.Kinda like a sediment bowl in an old tractor.
The one at my uncles cabin is a hillside spring,that flows thru a swampy spot,about 100' in diameter,that turns into a small stream.Tastes good,didn't give me the squirts.Kinda like filtering thru a giant sponge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts