Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 If I use the Katadyn Vario Microfilter do I just put the filtered water into my canteen and then be able to drink it or do I still need to use some type of "Purification Tablets"?

#2 If I just use the "Aquamira" water filter bottle do I still need to Purify the water in some other way?

#3 If I use the "Micropur MP1 Water Purification Tablets" is that all that is needed to make the water safe to drink?

I realize that this is a lot of questions but I am new to this "Hiking" adventure and I just don't want to come down with any hiking disorders if you know what I mean,,,any help appreciated....SEMPER FI:confused:

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
#1 If I use the Katadyn Vario Microfilter do I just put the filtered water into my canteen and then be able to drink it or do I still need to use some type of "Purification Tablets"?

#2 If I just use the "Aquamira" water filter bottle do I still need to Purify the water in some other way?

#3 If I use the "Micropur MP1 Water Purification Tablets" is that all that is needed to make the water safe to drink?

I realize that this is a lot of questions but I am new to this "Hiking" adventure and I just don't want to come down with any hiking disorders if you know what I mean,,,any help appreciated....SEMPER FI:confused:
After filtering with the Vario (especially in North America), you'll be fine drinking as is; same with the Aquamira. If you in an area that is known to have viruses (mostly third world countries), you'll possibly need an extra dose. If your just using Polar Pure or other tablets, you'll need to make sure you "pre-filter" to get the larger sediment or detritus removed before treating.

ROCK6

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
If your down stream from a populated area, or down stream from a rural area, I would seriously consider adding purification tablets. The main factor is sewage and the diseases that it can transmit. Even though stuff like hepatitis and polio are very rare inside the USA - they are still around.

From a US government study, waterborne infections between 2005 - 2008:

Cryptosporidium accounted for 65%
E. Coli accounted for 6.3%
Campylobacter 6.1%
Giardia 2.1%
Shigella Sonnei - 8.5%
Norovirus - 8.3%

Source - http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss5709.pdf

If you have time, download that PDF and read through it.

Microorganism size and susceptibility to filtration:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/water-disinfection.aspx

Organism ----------- Average sizes

Viruses ---------------------- 0.03
Enteric bacteria (E. coli) ----- 0.5 × 3.0–8.0
Cryptosporidium oocyst------ 4–6
Giardia cyst ----------------- 6.0–10.0 × 8.0–15.0

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
If you want to filter out viruses, check out:

Lifesaver (expensive)
Big/Black Berkey (I don't think the Sport Berkey does viruses, but ask the Berkey Guy - he posts here every day
Sawyer .02 micron (especially if you need a smalll, portable bottle

The last two are about the same price as ones of comparable capacity that don't filter out viruses.

You can also look into Steripens.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Lifesaver (expensive)
Big/Black Berkey (I don't think the Sport Berkey does viruses, but ask the Berkey Guy - he posts here every day

The last two are about the same price as ones of comparable capacity that don't filter out viruses.

MSR Miox is another one of my favorites for viruses. Filter and use the Miox to make a solution to mix into the water. Doesn't taste as bad as iodine or other tabs.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Why not just get filter that meets the requirements to be a "water purifier? The extra money is worth the peace of mind. As was pointed out in another thread the steripen is sold as a purifier, What you want is something that does both: filters and purifies. The only time you should have to add "pills" to your fliltered water is when you doubt the functioning of your filter.
I think I'm one of the few around here that has and uses a First Need Deluxe water purifier. I got it a few years ago after researching what was available. It does it all. For some reason its not promoted as much in the backpacking/camping magazines ect as the others. Its worth a look . One reviewer stated that he doesn't use it backpacking cause it weighs a little more than his other filters, and is overkill for the water to be used. But when the Miss. floods his property and takes out his well he reaches for his First Need.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Why not just get filter that meets the requirements to be a "water purifier? The extra money is worth the peace of mind. As was pointed out in another thread the steripen is sold as a purifier, What you want is something that does both: filters and purifies. The only time you should have to add "pills" to your fliltered water is when you doubt the functioning of your filter.
Number one reason is filter life. Filters that do both are typically short lived. First Need does a max of 120 gallons, according to specs. The only purifier that can do thousands of gallons is the Sawyer inline. But it hasn't been proven over long term use. They do claim a theoretical 1 million gallons though lol

But yes, short filter life is the main downside (and yes I have used up this much water before).

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Number one reason is filter life. Filters that do both are typically short lived. First Need does a max of 120 gallons, according to specs. The only purifier that can do thousands of gallons is the Sawyer inline. But it hasn't been proven over long term use. They do claim a theoretical 1 million gallons though lol

But yes, short filter life is the main downside (and yes I have used up this much water before).
How long the filter/purifier last depends on the water being filtered/purified. You really think that little filter will do a thousand gallons? Its important to remember that when you take it apart to clean you expose yourself to a concentrated source of bacteria, viruses, ect. Also the more you take something apart the more likely something will be broken or lost. A small filter that does it all should not be expected to do a thousand gallons. Look at the filters for the big Berkey then look at that little in line sawyer filter. If you go with the sawyer or any of the others that require cleaning be sure to pack a lot of those plastic gloves. What do you do with the pad you just impregnated with all those bacteria and viruses? When it comes to water, prepare for the worse works for me. Everyone needs to do their own reasearch and make an informed decision.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
How long the filter/purifier last depends on the water being filtered/purified. You really think that little filter will do a thousand gallons? Its important to remember that when you take it apart to clean you expose yourself to a concentrated source of bacteria, viruses, ect. Also the more you take something apart the more likely something will be broken or lost. A small filter that does it all should not be expected to do a thousand gallons. Look at the filters for the big Berkey then look at that little in line sawyer filter. If you go with the sawyer or any of the others that require cleaning be sure to pack a lot of those plastic gloves. What do you do with the pad you just impregnated with all those bacteria and viruses? When it comes to water, prepare for the worse works for me. Everyone needs to do their own reasearch and make an informed decision.
Yes filter life completely depends on the water being filtered. Using a pre-filter will increase the life of any filter. I agree with most of what you said in your reply, especially about making an informed decision based on YOUR water consumption needs for your area.

But you are mistaken in the way the Sawyer Inline filters are "cleaned". The filter element is hollow fibers, not ceramic or charcoal. You do not touch this in order to clean it. It is cleaned by "backwashing" the filter. In otherwords, reversing the flow. You never handle the membrane itself especially since it would be so fragile.
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/resea...Inline Filter Directions_SP121_sm_4-18-06.pdf

Personally I was skeptical about this filter in the begining also. I have it as my backup filter (not the purifier). Mainly because I haven't tested its field durability over long periods. I still haven't decided if it will make the permanent cut because you need a hydration bladder, tubes, or drinking bottle to make it work.

My first line filter is the Kaytadyn pocket filter. I don't worry about the bacteria while cleaning this filter because the impregnated silver takes care of that in a few hours. When over-seas or if I suspect really rough water, I also mix in a Miox Solution.

I used to have the First Need also. And it is a great filter that I used when overseas. But for my water consumption needs, I found the extra filters cumbersome. Now I just use the Pocket Filter and Miox. But like you said, everyone needs to make their own informed decision. For example, if I were going to a colder climate, I would leave the Miox home since it doesn't work well with cold water and the Sawyer may freeze if exposed to freezing temps for to long etc.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have a Sawyer, but haven't used it yet. I just got it for a SHTF situation.

I think to back wash it, you need pressurized water, which I think you also need to prime it. I bought some small syringes so I could do that if the water system failed.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
As long as you don't have to worry about chemical/runoff ect. filters and miox work well. The thing about the sawyer that bugs me is its size in relation to what they claim it does. Compare it to the Berkey filters while they claim 1-1500 gallon capacity the sawyer claimes way beyond that?!! If the filter "was all that" you'd think both First Need and Berkey would be changing their purifiers to similar technology/size. I may be behind the times but don't all other "purifiers" include other methods to "enhance" purification and/or taste besides a membrane or " hollow fibers". Your Katadyn includes impregnated silver. When you add up size and cost to its claims, for me it just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
#1. You've filtered and now you can drink.

#2 No additional purification needed.

#3 Yes.

If the water contains sediment use a coffee filter and a funnel to get any particulates out. Your expensive filters will last a lot longer and your tabs will be more effective.

If one purification method required that I supplement it with another purification method, I'd never even consider using it. What with filters and tablets and UV purifiers and simply heating it, biologically safe water is not very difficult to produce in the field.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I don't know why others do not use the sawyer method. Maybe they patented it?

I believe in certifications by independent, non-biased organizations, such as NSF. I admit that while the Sawyer is certified by them, we don't know that the NSF would bother to run the claimed amount of water through and then conduct the tests.

I am leery of anecdotal reviews/tests(as the sampling is too small and the conditions are not controlled, or ones done by magazines (as they are influenced by the revenues form manufacturer's advertising.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I believe in certifications by independent, non-biased organizations, such as NSF. I admit that while the Sawyer is certified by them, we don't know that the NSF would bother to run the claimed amount of water through and then conduct the tests.
I sure hope they don't bother running the claimed amount of water through a filter. Because Sawyer claims they can do 1 million gallons LOL ( I don't believe it though).

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/SP121.htm

Of course even they admit that they haven't done a million and it was just theoretical:
We didn’t actually run a million gallons through the filter, because that's a lot of water... but we could have.
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/warranty.htm

I personally think the housing would fall apart by that amount of water hahah

·
Premium Member
12,359 Posts

Lifesaver (expensive)

You are correct, the black berkey elements in the Big Berkey do remove some viruses, but the sport berkey's currently have no tests that show they remove any viruses.

theberkeyguy

·
Premium Member
230 Posts

·
I'm on earth! where r u?
80 Posts
Halogens work great. They cant clog or break. And a tiny bottle of tincture of iodine 2% weighs far less than a filter. Unfortunately you taste it. But iodine and bleach taste alright to me. Whenever practical; use two methods of purification/filtering. IMO

·
Registered
190 Posts
water purification for wound flushing

hey guys i have been going over my med kit for the past 4 days and am stuck on a problem. i know you need clean water, steril is best to flush out wounds but i was wondering i have a msr mini works ex water filter which is suffcient to provide drinking water, but what is a better way to provide the best clean water to wash out wounds? i was thinking cholrine dioxide tablets or even the portable aqua iodine tabs. anyone have any other suggestions? i trust the filter but as far as cleaning wounds i want something a little more sure.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
hey guys i have been going over my med kit for the past 4 days and am stuck on a problem. i know you need clean water, steril is best to flush out wounds but i was wondering i have a msr mini works ex water filter which is suffcient to provide drinking water, but what is a better way to provide the best clean water to wash out wounds? i was thinking cholrine dioxide tablets or even the portable aqua iodine tabs. anyone have any other suggestions? i trust the filter but as far as cleaning wounds i want something a little more sure.
2% tincture of iodine. 5-10 drops per quart. Let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes for pre-filtered water. You should feel comfortable flushing out a wound with that. Just remember not to let the iodine sit to long on your skin because it can harm healthy cells. But watered down like that it should be ok for a flush.

The liquid iodine tincture form can stay good for years and years. Tabs go bad after a short while or when exposed to humidity/air/sunlight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts