Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We will be going to the Bahamas in a few months and would like to bring a water filter just incase. Where we are going has all reverse osmosis water (allegedly) but I like to be safe. In thinking of a backpacking pump style and would like to keep it under $100 if possible. Also, not sure if I need one that will do viruses. I also always take the water purification tabs with me on vacation.

Thamks!

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Dealing with viruses makes it a lot more complicated and expensive if you go the filter route.

I'm not seeing any waterborne viral threat warnings for fresh water there though. Only sea water flesh eating virus.

The Katadyn Vario is a well trusted pump style that many like here at SB.
https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Technology-Microfilter-Backpacking-Preparedness/dp/B000KUVVY4

It doesn't do viruses though. For viruses you'll need an expensive pump, like First Need. Or a gravity style like Sawyer .02 model. And then you still need a toxin filter. You'll be pushing over $100 easily. If viruses worry you then tabs are a lot cheaper. Something NaDCC in it like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatabs-AQT100-Water-Purification-Tablets/dp/B077737MBN/

Only problem with tabs is they aren't good against Cryptospordium protozoa. Only filtering works on those buggers.

So there really is no single affordable filter or pill that takes care of all viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and toxins all in one. Actually, I'm not even sure you can get it at any price ever since Seychelles brand revamped their lineup. It's now a multi-step job in the portable category. Maybe one of those thousand dollar hand pump RO jobs will do it, but I doubt you want that.

Something has to give. Multiple parts or big money or not portable.

Btw, there is a travel warning that everyone get the Hep A vaccine before going to the Bahamas.

Reactions: Major Mjolnir

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I always have the Katadyn tablets. I have the Sawyer minis in my packs, cars, etc. I will be bringing bottled water with us. I mainly want the filter *just* incase some stuff goes down while I'm there.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I'm not familiar with the bahamas. But is the reason for ro because of salt water source? Then regular filters can't help that. Not a bad idea to think about as ro can be complicated and wonder if system is certified or tested. Most ro systems alone are not certified as water purifiers. They usually have an add on uv or chemical treatment for killing organisms. Though the ro filter can remove very tiny organisms there can be a problem with growth on the membrane and cross contamination.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
My recommendation is this. https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/guardian-purifier/02370.html
It'll cost you more than $100, but it works for viruses and bacteria.
First Need is better and cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/First-Need-Xle-Elite-Purifier/dp/B00AI91958

Neither do a thing for toxins. In a nation recently flooded toxins are of heightened risk.

I'm not knocking MSR quality, but in this model they got a bit too proud when First Need is what pro tropical tour guides around the world use as a standard.

Reactions: dmas

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Zeke what is ypur current recommendation for toxin filters?
Entirely dependent on the biological filter used upstream. You have to mate your toxin filter to it.

Some times the best choice is making your own.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think that mypatriotsupply has better prices than any of the other survivalists/prepper places. I don't think they are trying to fleece anybody any more than the other stores are.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
I think that mypatriotsupply has better prices than any of the other survivalists/prepper places. I don't think they are trying to fleece anybody any more than the other stores are.
The key to seeing this is not which "prepper places" have the best deal between them.

All prepper places are merely distributors. At best they might sell one or two unique things that no other place is allowed to offer.

As a distributor they only make profit once the manufacturer makes profit. So then it boils down to scaling. None of the prepper companies buy in the volumes that Walmart, Amazon, Academy, Target, etc. So they cannot leverage manufacturers like the monster distributors can.

So you get the best deals on prepper supplies from companies that are NOT survival/prep supply houses. This is especially true about food products. I've been prepping since before that was even a word. It was only called survivalist before the 90's. In all those decades I've bought almost nothing from prepper/survival supply houses. If I need a tarp or storage box then I'm off to Home Depot. If I need a tent I'm off to Academy. If I need storage food them I'm off to restaurant supply houses or indie grocery wholesales or the ethnic stores. There's nothing that patriot supply sells that I can't find cheaper elsewhere. I'm looking in Grainger, Office Depot, Academy, Amazon, Lowes, WebRestaurant, Walgreens, Walmart, etc, but not Billy Bob's Survival Hut because Billy Bob can't buy wholesale like the big stores do and has to mark prices way up to turn a decent profit.

If you need an SUV, why are you at the Cadillac dealer looking at Escalades when Chevy has the basically same thing across town in a Suburban for a lot less? All you are doing is spending money on packaging, not performance.

If all they sell are prepper supplies, that needs to be your very first and biggest red flag you are in the wrong place.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
Hi all. We will be going to the Bahamas in a few months and would like to bring a water filter just incase. Where we are going has all reverse osmosis water (allegedly) but I like to be safe. In thinking of a backpacking pump style and would like to keep it under $100 if possible. Also, not sure if I need one that will do viruses. I also always take the water purification tabs with me on vacation.

Thamks!
I chose this Sawyer for it's high volume ability and the filter can be back flushed with clean water to extend its life cycle. I think I would go with this based on ease of use as it s all inclusive.
https://www.highwaterfilters.com/co...e-4l-bag-to-bag-water-treatment-system-2-bags

If you want to filter even further,
I also have the Sawyer Point Zero Two (0.02 micron) but it is designed to attach to a (not included) 5 gallon bucket. This filter can also be back flushed with clean water to rinse out the filter.
https://www.highwaterfilters.com/co...ts/sp191-sawyer-point-zero-two-water-purifier

I did a great deal of research about 8 or 10 years ago before purchasing these. It was my choice, and not a willy nilly decision, based on many suggestions from members of this forum, and other forums, plus consumer reports and reviews. I suppose others with maybe about a half decade of comments and opinions may find fault with these but they were no where around when I got serious and started my water filtering research about 10 years ago.

I do not work for Sawyer, and I do not sell or get paid to endorse their product. But these two Sawyer products were what I chose for your type of situation. I have other filters for other purposes, but I wont digress.

I purchased through Highwater Filters, who at that time (If I recall correctly) were a sponsor of this forum, and the order was filled promptly and arrived correctly and quickly. I would order from them again, but others may offer the same product so feel free to do your own research.

Whatever you choose, safe travels.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
I have a Steripen, it kills viruses which is the toughest thing to deal with when purifying water. It's basically a UV light source that works off of batteries so take spares (AA).
Steripen is a real PIA to use, but is about the only portable purification device that uses no chemicals or filtration.

It is also recognized by FEMA and the CDC as a separate option from chemical or filtration.

It's a problematic standard, but it is a recognized standard.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Zeke, I have a few questions for you. What GAC mesh size should we be looking for to make a larger size GAC layer in a DIY setup?

Also, How would you test water after using an MOS (MIOX)?

Thanks for the help.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Zeke, I have a few questions for you. What GAC mesh size should we be looking for to make a larger size GAC layer in a DIY setup?

Also, How would you test water after using an MOS (MIOX)?

Thanks for the help.
Remember that Miox is no longer offered to the public. I'm not sure if they still fulfill their military contract for troop personal units. The kits came with test strips. A few sellers online have old stock, but those who regularly still use it will need to get supplies off Ebay and learn to transition to a system that is still being supported by new retail.

Miox is now limited to commercial sized units for industry and municipalities for volumes far beyond family/group needs. MSR no longer fronts for them. Here's what they are today: https://www.miox.com/products/on-site-generation/

GAC mesh size is a two direction issue. Larger GAC holds more toxins but also allows more untreated water through. You get a more complete job done with larger GAC but you need multiple passes or more depth of travel. Smaller GAC is surer to treat all the water but is less likely to remove as much. The shape and depth of the housing plays a critical role too. A long skinny filter is better for larger mesh and a short fat one is better for smaller GAC.

We likely need to talk more on your DIY plans. Maybe someplace better than this side show of fools giving bad advice and insisting their participation trophy earns them a valid say in matters. They can't understand that ignorant fools who read more than talk are both less ignorant and less of a fool.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Zeke, I'm going to make a post on GAC size, and leave the aspies here to play. I'm shopping on the BUY charcoal site.

As for the MIOX, I have "several". Long story. They are awesome on so many levels. A fatal flaw, the test strips. A device with 1 year strips isn't really good as a disaster device to store. Academy and the other major distributors were selling them with 4 year-expired strips. A beginner needs the strips.

I guess a regular 1-10 PPM strip would work, right? Even though the device doesn't really put out straight chlorine?

I was hoping some kind of inexpensive device that takes normal batteries would be available, but it seems not.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Yep, the test strips are the flaw.

I'm not sure what precisely this guy is selling but he has strips: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2500-MSR-M...tor-Water-Test-Strips-Filter-New/153452028017

I don't know if he's selling 2500 strips at a whack or what. Are they expire or about to?

I've not bought a Miox so I don't really know precisely what kinds of strips they are.

Have you asked MSR? Since they dumped the product they might be more forthcoming about what the strips are so you can hunt the aftermarket without them acting vague so you buy their private label gear.

Reactions: woozy
1 - 20 of 30 Posts