Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just acquired the below 30-gallon food grade barrel for purposes of water storage.

(1) If I decide to store the barrel-containing-water in basement, then assuming there's a power outtage for many days in winter with no heat in basement, would the water turn to ice? The basement is more than 3/4 underground. If so, then does it rather need storage in a warm place? I hadn't considered that prior to acquisition.

(2) even though it's food grade, the inside smells of "new plastic" (btw, it had not been used to store chemicals, rather it's like new). I'm very sensitive, to the extent that I've sometimes returned plastic lamps or electric water urns with plastic smells.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/105740308/30_Gallon_Plastic_barrel.html

Is there any best solution to get rid of new plastic smell? Bleaching it may be even worse vs. my chemical sensitivity. I also don't have muscle power to fill it completely with water & overturn it. I also don't have a hose, nor even a shower hose, due to dysfunctional 1950's tub - long story. I'm like, partly in the dark ages.

P.S. I just found the answer to my 2nd question by miller4546, in Dlarkin's post (thanks!). Soap, then vinegar, then baking soda. I may try that but first may try something like Ajax Cleanser with Bleach Easy Rinse Formula. :eek::

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
no it will not freeze your fine. though theres no heat in the basment it will still be much warmer than outside and geo thermal energy from being so far below ground will help in the warmth dept. as well

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I've done the soap, vinegar,BS and worked pretty good. I still run the water through a good charcoal filter. Being that the water is already filtered all it takes out is the little bit of plastic taste leftover and will last a long time.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so much mgd & alergyfree :) It's a relief to be able to store it out of the way in the basement.

I'd edited the above post to say I first may try something like:
Ajax Cleanser with Bleach Easy Rinse Formula

Is there any standalone charcoal filter that's recommended & lasts a long time, similar to the 200-gallon Culligan on-tap?

Note that years ago I tried one of those plastic Brita filter-pitchers, but the water tasted bitter to me (like mineral water which I hate).

I could more tolerate the Culligan on-tap filters - the water's not so bitter.

BTW, some posters on yahoo answers gave reasons why water may taste bitter from filter, but I wonder how credible it is, since years ago someone posted in response to my remark about bitter mineral water, that truly good water is supposed to taste sweet, and that there's pure spring water from Mt.Rainier which is sweet & delicious.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070509205005AAiE2uz

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Hi, I just acquired the below 30-gallon food grade barrel for purposes of water storage.

(1) If I decide to store the barrel-containing-water in basement, then assuming there's a power outtage for many days in winter with no heat in basement, would the water turn to ice? The basement is more than 3/4 underground. If so, then does it rather need storage in a warm place? I hadn't considered that prior to acquisition.

(2) even though it's food grade, the inside smells of "new plastic" (btw, it had not been used to store chemicals, rather it's like new). I'm very sensitive, to the extent that I've sometimes returned plastic lamps or electric water urns with plastic smells.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/105740308/30_Gallon_Plastic_barrel.html

Is there any best solution to get rid of new plastic smell? Bleaching it may be even worse vs. my chemical sensitivity. I also don't have muscle power to fill it completely with water & overturn it. I also don't have a hose, nor even a shower hose, due to dysfunctional 1950's tub - long story. I'm like, partly in the dark ages.

P.S. I just found the answer to my 2nd question by miller4546, in Dlarkin's post (thanks!). Soap, then vinegar, then baking soda. I may try that but first may try something like Ajax Cleanser with Bleach Easy Rinse Formula. :eek::[/QUOTE

This is the type I use, the carbon filters are readily available, cheap, easy to change and the low pressure from the gravity feed is not an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Cream of tarter mixed in water takes the smell out of most plastics. How exposed to the elements is you basement? Pipes still freeze in some basements depending on how deep the basement actually is in the ground. Mt outside water pumps freeze several feet down because the cold air goes down the shaft. So it really depends on how exposed your basement is to if water freezes in it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Heres' my 2 cents,I have a similar basement and have stored 5 gal water cans threw winters which get into the high single digits at night with no freezing. I use the same cleaning method on 5 gal buckets with good results.And I also use the charcoal filter system mentioned above ( they make several types of filters for these & they work well plumbed in series),but I use it as a prefilter .We then run it threw a Berkie and the water quality is pretty Amazing . If I hadn't tried it I would not have believed how much differance that it makes !!

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Without heating the home above eventually the water will freeze. How ever small the heat transfer is between teh enviroment and inside a home it is not perfect. Eventually the temperatures will equalize and the basement floor will be no different the ground outside.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I guess I'll risk the basement option, but maybe I'll tuck insulation around the barrel.

alergyfree - what's the name & approx. cost of your filter, and where is it available?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
if you place a barrel of water in an environment where you DO think will freeze- don't fill it up all the way. I'm not sure EXACTLY how much space to leave, maybe 1/10th of the barrel. That way you give the ice room to expand and contract. If it's an airtight container you'll still have some stress do to air pressure fluctuating from within the head space of the barrel.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I guess I'll risk the basement option, but maybe I'll tuck insulation around the barrel.

alergyfree - what's the name & approx. cost of your filter, and where is it available?
I have found over time a number of them at thrift stores for a few dollars. most unused in the box. New you can get them any Wally world, Lowe's, Home depot. I just use the carbon but their are a number of options for filters. The more expensive ones are generally finer filtration and may not work or work very slowy with gravity feed,
I have connected three in series with increasing filtration for any thing other than stored water. I have not thought used the multi-filter setup as it may need more pressure the just gravity feed. Though it not really necessary because its already filtered.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is some info. that I pulled together for myself:
I thought that I would share it with everyone.........

MOSQUITO BORNE ILLNESSES
===================================================================
Malaria is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a parasite. People with malaria often experience fever, chills, and flu-like illness. Left untreated, they may develop severe complications and die. Each year 350-500 million cases of malaria occur worldwide, and over one million people die, most of them young children in Africa south of the Sahara.

This sometimes fatal disease can be prevented and cured. Bednets, insecticides, and antimalarial drugs are effective tools to fight malaria in areas where it is transmitted. Travelers to a malaria-risk area should avoid mosquito bites and take a preventive antimalarial drug.
Dengue fever (DF) and dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) are caused by one of four closely related, but antigenically distinct, virus serotypes (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4), of the genus Flavivirus. Infection with one of these serotypes provides immunity to only that serotype for life, so persons living in a dengue-endemic area can have more than one dengue infection during their lifetime. DF and DHF are primarily diseases of tropical and sub tropical areas, and the four different dengue serotypes are maintained in a cycle that involves humans and the Aedes mosquito. However, Aedes aegypti, a domestic, day-biting mosquito that prefers to feed on humans, is the most common Aedes species. Infections produce a spectrum of clinical illness ranging from a nonspecific viral syndrome to severe and fatal hemorrhagic disease. Important risk factors for DHF include the strain of the infecting virus, as well as the age, and especially the prior dengue infection history of the patient.
Rift Valley fever (RVF) is an acute, fever-causing viral disease that affects domestic animals (such as cattle, buffalo, sheep, goats, and camels) and humans. RVF is most commonly associated with mosquito-borne epidemics during years of unusually heavy rainfall.

The disease is caused by the RVF virus, a member of the genus Phlebovirus in the family Bunyaviridae. The disease was first reported among livestock by veterinary officers in Kenya in the early 1900s.
Yellow fever virus, a flavivirus, is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected mosquitoes. Illness ranges in severity from a self-limited febrile illness to severe hepatitis and hemorrhagic fever. Yellow fever disease is diagnosed based on symptoms, physical findings, laboratory testing, and the possibility of exposure to infected mosquitoes. There is no specific treatment for yellow fever; care is based on symptoms. Steps to prevent yellow fever include use of insect repellent, protective clothing, and vaccination. Yellow fever occurs in tropical regions of Africa and in parts of South America. Yellow fever is a very rare cause of illness in U.S. travelers. The last epidemic of yellow fever in North America occurred in New Orleans in 1905.
Arboviral Encephalitides
Mosquito-transmitted viral diseases causing brain inflammation/encephalitis. Includes information on the diseases and their mosquito vector species

Eastern equine encephalitis virus (EEEV) is transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected mosquito. Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) is a rare illness in humans, and only a few cases are reported in the United States each year. Most cases occur in the Atlantic and Gulf Coast states (see map). Most persons infected with EEEV have no apparent illness. Severe cases of EEE (involving encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain) begin with the sudden onset of headache, high fever, chills, and vomiting. The illness may then progress into disorientation, seizures, or coma. EEE is one of the most severe mosquito-transmitted diseases in the United States with approximately 33% mortality and significant brain damage in most survivors. There is no specific treatment for EEE; care is based on symptoms. You can reduce your risk of being infected with EEEV by using insect repellent, wearing protective clothing, and staying indoors while mosquitoes are most active. If you think you or a family member may have EEE, it is important to consult your healthcare provider for proper diagnosis.

LaCrosse encephalitis is a rare viral disease that is spread by infected mosquitoes. It usually affects children. It is one of several mosquito-borne virus diseases that can affect the central nervous system and cause severe complications. It is found mainly in the upper midwestern United States and in the Appalachian region. There is no specific treatment for LaCrosse encephalitis. Prevention centers on controlling mosquitoes and avoiding mosquito bites.

St. Louis encephalitis is a serious viral disease that is spread by infected mosquitoes. It is one of several mosquito-borne virus diseases that can affect the central nervous system and cause severe complications and death. It is found throughout the United States. There is no specific treatment for St. Louis encephalitis. Prevention centers on controlling mosquitoes and avoiding mosquito bites.

West Nile virus is spread by infected mosquitoes, and can cause serious, life-altering and even fatal disease. Get outside and enjoy the summer, but remember that mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus are on the wing, so apply a mosquito repellent when you're outdoors, especially from dusk to dawn. Check around your yard and dump out standing water where mosquitoes can lay their eggs, too.

Western equine encephalitis is a viral disease that is spread by infected mosquitoes. It is one of several mosquito-borne virus diseases that can affect the central nervous system and cause severe complications and death. Western equine encephalitis is found mainly in the plains regions of the western and central United States. There is no specific treatment for western equine encephalitis. Prevention centers on controlling mosquitoes and avoiding mosquito bites.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have found over time a number of them at thrift stores for a few dollars. most unused in the box. New you can get them any Wally world, Lowe's, Home depot. I just use the carbon but their are a number of options for filters. The more expensive ones are generally finer filtration and may not work or work very slowy with gravity feed,
I have connected three in series with increasing filtration for any thing other than stored water. I have not thought used the multi-filter setup as it may need more pressure the just gravity feed. Though it not really necessary because its already filtered.
This may horrify everyone, but my dad had fashioned a primitive filter out of a sieve combined with Bounty paper-towel. He just attached the paper-towel with rubberband around the mouth of the sieve, and allowed tap water to flow thru the mouth, down thru the narrow neck of sieve.

That, combined with boiling the water, resulted in odor-free water.

P.S. to Dwind, thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts