Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for something like a MSR dromedary water bag, but where I can connect an MSR mini or MSR squeeze. Something that I can scoop up 2 or 3 liters of water at one time, hang it from a tree, and filter water as I need it.

This would replace the MSR squeeze bags. Instead of doing 32 ounces at a time, scoop up two or three liters at a time. Then hang the bag from a tree with mini or squeeze attached.

Basically turn the squeeze or mini into a gravity filter for the camp site.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,882 Posts

·
Colorado Mountains
202 Posts
That Katadyn Base Camp works great. We use one at elk camp and I bought one for each of my kids and for our home in case the water supply is compromised. Fill it up, hang it up, filter into clean container. Works great!

Since you want to use a Sawyer filter, you might look at the larger Smart Water plastic bottles. They are more durable than most water bottles, and the threads match the Sawyer, so they will screw right into the filter. Cheap and readily available.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Camelbacks are versatile. But, I would not want to fill one with suspect water.

Everybody in our BOL crew carries a 5L collapsible water bag.
Durable, lightweight & inexpensive.
Could be easily modified to suit your needs.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Honestly, all kinds of heavy plastic bags will do this.

Just locate the the plastic bag you think is the perfect size and thickness for the job you want and go fill it with water. Then see if the bag holds the water securely and it doesn't strain the bag or yourself trying to hold it up.

Then at the top scooping end you put in several brass grommets around the edges about an inch from the top.

Then pick up one of those cheap dollar store collapsible water bottles of quart size and cut the spout and spout base off of it with a little bit of extra material left on.

Return to your big bag and carefully cut a small hole at the bottom that fits just the spout of your little bag remnant without making the hole as big as the base portion. Then use hot melt glue to glue the base portion on the inside of the bag, leaving the spout sticking out. Go over all the edges with extra hot melt glue to fully seal it up.

Your fetch and storage bag for raw water is basically complete. Just use paracord at the top through the grommets to help hang it. The spout at the bottom is definitely soda bottle threads that you can buy the adapter kit for a few bucks from Sawyer to connect 1/4 tubing to. Most outdoor filter brands will adapt to 1/4 tubing.

The goal is just to get a soda bottle thread on the bottom of a sturdy hanging bag you can attach this to:
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Inline-Adapters-Screw-Filters/dp/B0118BBKNA

If you have trouble deciding on a big bag them try hunting for a the waterproof liner from a Marine ILBE packpack system. Hard to find and might not be cheap. Or perhaps another backpack waterproof liner bag can be had cheaper. These all tend to be fairly heavy duty material that should hold many gallons of water and likely already have some kind of cinch system at the top you can modify for hanging duty.

If you are wondering about the small collapsible canteen bag to cut the spout from they are just smaller versions of what BB posted above. I've found them at dollar stores and other low cost big box stores like Walmart. Even the squeeze bag in the Sawyer Squeeze system will work if you have a spare.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Any standard 3 liter bladder will do this. Tube sizes are standard. I did it the other way, I pump into the bag thru my Katydine hiker. Or I can fill the bladder with unfiltered water and install a life straw in-line. Parts to connect hoses are readily available from all major bladder manufacturers.

If you really want to go to town, get a solar shower bag and filter a couple gallons this way. Play around with hanging at different heights with hoses of different lengths to determine what works best for you. Hang it high with a longer hose and the water will flow thru faster.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,882 Posts
I doubt if a Solar Shower bag is food grade plastic. Worth checking anyway, otherwise no telling what crazy chemical they are using as a plasticizer. usually some sort of carcinogenic hormone disrupter.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,324 Posts
You could go old school and get a 36 gallon military lister bag, you can find em on eBay occasionally. They hold 36 gallons, have a rope for hanging from a tree, and 6 spouts for attaching showers, or whatever. I believe they are standard water hose threading,

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Reactions: kev and Justme11

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is something like what I had in mind along with a shower kit.

MSR Dromedary Bag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIQU4C/
The dromedary bag won't break on you. You can actually stand on them full of water and they wont leak. A dumb thing to do maybe, but the rep told us to try it so we did:).

The 10 liter size make for a pretty decent shower, especially since the black heats up well. If you want to save some weight the dromlite bags are lighter, but not quite as beefy.

·
Hating the new Amerika.
2,856 Posts
I do this with a 16 ounce soda bottle, a Sawyer Mini, a Katadyne Carbon filter, and a small piece of flexible tubing. That is part of my water kit for my extended bug out bag kit. I use a green Mountain Dew bottle for collecting contaminated water. I use a clear soda bottle, and I bought a Sawyer adapter kit for back flushing my Sawyer Mini.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.