Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if that made sense. I have wells on my properties that all have electric pumps. Any ideas on how to pump the water out with using the electricity? What can I do if electric goes out and I don't have a generator?
I'm screwed eh?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
How deep is your wells? Windmills or solar are the most common non-electric means to pump water. For a few gallons a day, Lehman's sells a cylinder to drop down the well and a rope to pull up a little water. Hand pumps are another option for a shallow well. Do a search on the forum. There is a lot of info.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are a couple companies who sell a stainless steel hand pump. Quite expensive, though. For my well, which is 165 feet deep, would run me about $1300. :(

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
There are manual well pumps of all sorts, sizes and price ranges. I'd want at least that as a backup. A windmill pump would be a great addition if you're in a region with regular wind. The only reason I bought my diesel generator was to run an electric well pump. Since I didn't get moved to my land, it was a waste of money for me. But I had planned to use it and a manual pump.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you have at least a 4 inch casing, a hand pump can be installed in tandem with your existing electric pump. As pointed out, the deep well ones are a bit pricy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response

My wells are 200-300 or more feet deep. One is very far away from the house or anything for that matter.

Solar is going to probably be my best bet.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Buy the time you invest in solar you can buy a generator to run the pumps !
Do you have a tractor ? You could hook the pto to a pump jack and run it ! You could get a 24vdc pump and run it from a truck or tractor thats sitting idling !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts