Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get a new watch for awhile i just cant decide which to get.
Casio pathfinder or Suunto core all black military?
The suunto goes for about 200 bucks more than the casio but i can get it for the same price as the casio. aprox 140.
Anyone have any experience with either of these?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have had the casio pathfinder for about a year and a half no problems so far i like the solar recharge so i wont have to worry about batteries. you will have to calibrate the altimiteter though and the book for it is long but good watch overall

·
Registered
189 Posts
Casio G-Shock for the win. In a survival situation obviously you would want the solar/atomic version, the GW6900 model is tough to beat at $80. The Casio Pathfinders are good timekeepers (I like the PAW2000) and some have the tide graphs, moon phase and sunrise/sunset times, those work well but I wouldn't rely on the compass or the altimeter, not that great to be honest, I think the Suunto might be more accurate but not by much, plus the Suunto will break easier than the Casio in my opinion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont plan on getting a g shock. if i get a casio its going to be one of the pathfinder models.
i wouldnt figure the suunto model im interested to break easy. Its milspec so i figured it to be pretty durable.
gahhh i cant decide.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think im going to go with the suunto. the pathfinder goes for around 140 or more and i can get the suunto core blk military for 138 which is a 329 dollar watch.
wont be purchasing it for a week or so, so if anyone else has any experience with either of these or recommendations feel free to chime in.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
i have had the casio pathfinder for about a year and a half no problems so far i like the solar recharge so i wont have to worry about batteries. you will have to calibrate the altimiteter though and the book for it is long but good watch overall
This what I thought when I bought mine but after about 3 years the battery went belly up and the new battery is expensive and hard to replace. Mine has become an expensive paper weight. Looks great though.

·
Let it rain
227 Posts
I have both watches, a suunto core all black and a pathfinder 1500 GB. The suunto cor is notorious for eating up batteries. My experience has been replacing the battery every 9-10 months. I heard suunto was supposed to remedy this but I'm not sure if they have. Also the core is much more difficult to read in the dark. The pathfinder is the main watch I wear now. And if I was in a shtf situation I would definitely want the pathfinder. Tough as nails.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Haven't had a watch in years. I use clocks, at home, at work, on my cellphone, in the car. If the SHTF really bad, a gold one would have trade value. Otherwise after a big SHTF, there will only be two times of the day and it will be easy to know which is which.
Daytime and nighttime.
In all seriousness, I've been thinking of getting a simple, small windup clock with an alarm that I could carry in my pocket or pack.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Rolex Submariner is the best, and for just $US 12,000 its a bargain :p

Kidding aside though, I have the Casio Pathfinder and have been extremely happy with it. I also now (as of a month ago) own a Casio Edifice. The Edifice lacks the features of the Pathfinder, and the interface is not at all intuitive, but it does look quite fancy :p

I have hard of problems with G-Shocks with resin bands though, so if you have that sort of cash laying around make sure whatever Casio you get (if you go the Casio way) you get either Titanium or Stainless Steel for the band.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i've had a suunto, and a casio, and so far my favorite is the timex expedition, it has lasted me for quite a while and been through lots of stuff.

if you HAVE to go with either, i say get a few casios, they will last longer than the cool looking huge suunto. of course, the plastic bands on all my casios have broken, so there is that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts